CSNbbs
Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? (/thread-741944.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - Frog in the Kitchen Sink - 07-07-2015 12:06 PM

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1561434-the-next-big-move-in-realignment

Quote:The Power Five conferences – all 65 teams (if you include Notre Dame) - collectively bargaining one TV contract, instead of each negotiating a TV deal, sometime in the next 10 years.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - stever20 - 07-07-2015 12:08 PM

kind of stupid given that you have pieces of contracts signed into the 30's already- with Big Ten coming up next.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - domer1978 - 07-07-2015 12:16 PM

Not gonna happen...

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - Attackcoog - 07-07-2015 12:18 PM

Didn't we already see that movie? It was called the CFA last time around. That said, the geographic leagues he described with a 11 game schedule of all divisional games (plus one FCS game) would pretty much put the final nail in the coffin of G5 football. The G5 would be finished.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - Dasville - 07-07-2015 12:24 PM

More likely that schools will retain more, if not all, their own home football games.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - Wedge - 07-07-2015 12:26 PM

Negotiating collectively, whether it's two of the conferences together or all five, ought to increase the leverage they have with ESPN and the other guys.

But I'd be very surprised if it happens, because I don't see the conferences and schools ever agreeing on how to split the money amongst themselves. All 65 of them, agreeing that everyone gets an equal share? Not gonna happen. All of them agreeing on a list of about 15 "most valuable" teams that will get a lot more money than the other 50? Not gonna happen.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - stever20 - 07-07-2015 12:29 PM

(07-07-2015 12:24 PM)Dasville Wrote:  More likely that schools will retain more, if not all, their own home football games.

no way. Why would in the ACC for instance Duke, WF, NC State, UNC, UVA, etc. allow FSU to do that? No chance in hell that happens.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - bullet - 07-07-2015 12:34 PM

I think 20 team conferences are kind of stupid. Makes much more sense to merge two conferences for TV purposes. Or even 3. 5 will be hard to do. Big 12/Pac 12 shared a TV deal at one point. Roughly 65 other schools shared the other major contract-basically everyone but the MAC and Big West.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - Frog in the Kitchen Sink - 07-07-2015 12:34 PM

Putting aside the political and logistical hurdles, is his primary assumption (that collectively negotiating a TV contract would result in significantly higher TV revenue per school than each conference separately negotiating TV deals) a correct one?

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - bullet - 07-07-2015 12:35 PM

(07-07-2015 12:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Didn't we already see that movie? It was called the CFA last time around. That said, the geographic leagues he described with a 11 game schedule of all divisional games (plus one FCS game) would pretty much put the final nail in the coffin of G5 football. The G5 would be finished.

It didn't work very well at first for the conferences when it broke up.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - stever20 - 07-07-2015 12:36 PM

I would think short term maybe more money, but long term, each conference kind of resets the bar higher, so as we go along, no I don't think it would be higher TV revenue per school at all.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - bullet - 07-07-2015 12:37 PM

(07-07-2015 12:34 PM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  Putting aside the political and logistical hurdles, is his primary assumption (that collectively negotiating a TV contract would result in significantly higher TV revenue per school than each conference separately negotiating TV deals) a correct one?

Most likely. Scott has been saying that for a while. It is essentially a monopoly on college football. After the NCAA football monopoly broke up, schools were getting on TV more but getting less money.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - bullet - 07-07-2015 12:39 PM

(07-07-2015 12:26 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Negotiating collectively, whether it's two of the conferences together or all five, ought to increase the leverage they have with ESPN and the other guys.

But I'd be very surprised if it happens, because I don't see the conferences and schools ever agreeing on how to split the money amongst themselves. All 65 of them, agreeing that everyone gets an equal share? Not gonna happen. All of them agreeing on a list of about 15 "most valuable" teams that will get a lot more money than the other 50? Not gonna happen.

Big 10 and SEC would be hard to persuade. A Pac 12/Big 12 deal in 2024/5 wouldn't surprise me. They have a relatively similar structure and similar $ on the Tiers I & II. Just that the Pac holds more back.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - goofus - 07-07-2015 12:48 PM

would it be like the NFL, which has multiple packages that can be bid on?

The NFC package (Fox), AFC(CBS), SuNF(NBC), MNF(ESPN), ThNF(CBS/NFL) split between 5 networks.

So the Big 65 can have multiple packages too.

North, South, west, FNF, TuNF etc.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - TerryD - 07-07-2015 12:49 PM

So, ND is going to breach or give up its individual NBC contract it has had since 1991 and has just renewed until 2025 cuz......why??

So...collective bargaining is great, wonderful and wise for colleges vs. TV networks (so says this article) but some folks think it is bad when workers do it vs. employers??? Ok...

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - Stay Cool - 07-07-2015 12:59 PM

(07-07-2015 12:49 PM)TerryD Wrote:  So, ND is going to breach or give up its individual NBC contract it has had since 1991 and has just renewed until 2025 cuz......why??

So...collective bargaining is great, wonderful and wise for colleges vs. TV networks (so says this article) but some folks think it is bad when workers do it vs. employers??? Ok...
Double standards are awesome aren't they?

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - bullet - 07-07-2015 01:03 PM

(07-07-2015 12:49 PM)TerryD Wrote:  So, ND is going to breach or give up its individual NBC contract it has had since 1991 and has just renewed until 2025 cuz......why??

They're already doing it with conference negotiations.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - bullet - 07-07-2015 01:04 PM

Kind of a bizarre OT political point don't you think? I don't recall Chip Brown making any comments on collective bargaining.04-cheers

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - Wedge - 07-07-2015 01:08 PM

(07-07-2015 12:39 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 12:26 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Negotiating collectively, whether it's two of the conferences together or all five, ought to increase the leverage they have with ESPN and the other guys.

Big 10 and SEC would be hard to persuade. A Pac 12/Big 12 deal in 2024/5 wouldn't surprise me. They have a relatively similar structure and similar $ on the Tiers I & II. Just that the Pac holds more back.

That would be easier than getting all 5 together, though it's still only worthwhile if the per-school amount from a combined contract is significantly larger than what either conference could make alone.

RE: Chip Brown- The Next Big Move in Realignment? - Dasville - 07-07-2015 01:22 PM

(07-07-2015 12:29 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 12:24 PM)Dasville Wrote:  More likely that schools will retain more, if not all, their own home football games.

no way. Why would in the ACC for instance Duke, WF, NC State, UNC, UVA, etc. allow FSU to do that? No chance in hell that happens.

Big 12 teams seem to do ok with one game. I wonder what Ohio State or Alabama could make having a game or two or three for themselves to sell?