CSNbbs
UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about (/thread-741626.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - Usajags - 07-02-2015 09:42 AM

We are a month out from the announcement that UAb football will return. In that month, not much else has happened. Coach Bill Clark still has no contract extension and fundraising is only about half of what has been stated that they need for facilities.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/06/bill_clark_wants_more_money_lo.html#incart_river

I believe this story is far from over, and UAb's return is far from certain.

I still wonder how long CUSA will continue to operate under the speculation of UAb having football. Adds a lot of uncertainty to that conference.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - NCeagle - 07-02-2015 09:48 AM

and then add in the possible big 12 expansion. will make things interesting.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - Dracorex - 07-02-2015 10:23 AM

we're waiting on the NCAA to make a plan on when and how we come back to FBS play. This isn't exactly a common event where the rules have any precedent on how to go forward.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - JoeJag - 07-02-2015 10:24 AM

UAB, it seems has no plans. At least no one is talking about any plans on how football will return. Personally I would like to see them restore the program as I would love to see a rivalry with them again. Back in the Bartow era the USA-UAB rivalry was healthy. South Alabama, IMO, would be better off belonging to the same conference as the Blazers. I will admit that South made a gigantic mistake when we didn't join the Metro Conference and C-USA when we had the chance. I will also admit that we were jealous of UAB when they started a football program (thanks to Gene Bartow) and our administration refused to talk about it. I have found out that you really do have to be careful what you wish for because we (numerous South fans would wish that they would fail at football). Well, we see now what happened. We had, at on time, built a great rivalry with Alabama-Birmingham and the Municipal Auditorium in downtown Mobile would pack out with crowds of over 10,000 basketball fans back in the 70s and the BJCC would fill up to the brim in our games up there. SBC basketball was well recognized back then. UNCC went to the Final Four, UNO and UAB had some NCAA tourney success. They, more than likely would choke at the thought of joining the SBC now since having had the opportunities of C-USA membership. IMO, it would better if UAB, USA and Troy all belonged to the same conference, same division whether it be in the Sun Belt Conference or Conference USA. The three Alabama universities need those rivalries to grow and survive in college football.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - CajunFanatico - 07-02-2015 10:27 AM

As Steve Martin would say, first ya get $17,000,000.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - JoeJag - 07-02-2015 10:30 AM

(07-02-2015 10:27 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  As Steve Martin would say, first ya get $17,000,000.

Steve Martin, pfft.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - CajunFanatico - 07-02-2015 10:40 AM

Seriously, from what I understand (and haven't read the linky yet), the program needs something like $17MM per year to sustain itself as Watts has said the university will not fund football.

$17,000,000 per year.

Is that even posible?

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - Vobserver - 07-02-2015 10:53 AM

(07-02-2015 10:40 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Seriously, from what I understand (and haven't read the linky yet), the program needs something like $17MM per year to sustain itself as Watts has said the university will not fund football.

$17,000,000 per year.

Is that even posible?

UL currently generates more non-university revenue [ticket sales, donations, etc.] than anyone else in the SBC. Last year that number was around 13-14 million dollars.

I would say that $17MM is possible; but for us to get to $14mm we have had to have the most successful 5 year run in school history. UAB fans will have to dig deep and often.

Also, how much 'non-support' are we talking about from the U? Are they going to charge the athletic department rent on facilities? Utility bills? Or are they going to provide such facilities as they already have at no cost?

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - CajunFanatico - 07-02-2015 11:00 AM

(07-02-2015 10:53 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  
(07-02-2015 10:40 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Seriously, from what I understand (and haven't read the linky yet), the program needs something like $17MM per year to sustain itself as Watts has said the university will not fund football.

$17,000,000 per year.

Is that even posible?

UL currently generates more non-university revenue [ticket sales, donations, etc.] than anyone else in the SBC. Last year that number was around 13-14 million dollars.

I would say that $17MM is possible; but for us to get to $14mm we have had to have the most successful 5 year run in school history. UAB fans will have to dig deep and often.

Indeed. And I can actually see a big donor.....say $25,000 or more not worrying so much about what happens to his money. It's the guys who give $500....$1,000...etc. who would have to be concerned with what happens to their donation......is it really certain this program will return.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - Usajags - 07-02-2015 11:02 AM

The article says they have raised $17m and need another $13m for the facility upgrades. That is asking a lot from a fan base that is has seemed to reach "donation fatigue". And this is for a program that is currently not looking at playing a game until the third season from now.

I also see CBC not getting a new contract until these numbers are met. No reason to have a contract and have to pay a coach for a team that doesn't exist. As long as he doesn't have a new contract, UAb is not playing football.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - Vobserver - 07-02-2015 11:25 AM

(07-02-2015 11:02 AM)Usajags Wrote:  The article says they have raised $17m and need another $13m for the facility upgrades. That is asking a lot from a fan base that is has seemed to reach "donation fatigue". And this is for a program that is currently not looking at playing a game until the third season from now.

I also see CBC not getting a new contract until these numbers are met. No reason to have a contract and have to pay a coach for a team that doesn't exist. As long as he doesn't have a new contract, UAb is not playing football.

The question is "How can a school with no FBS football and less than Final Four quality in both hoops teams, which belongs to a conference with insignificant revenue sharing, generate $17,000,000 in revenue EVERY YEAR, without University subsidies?"

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - CajunFanatico - 07-02-2015 11:38 AM

(07-02-2015 11:02 AM)Usajags Wrote:  The article says they have raised $17m and need another $13m for the facility upgrades. That is asking a lot from a fan base that is has seemed to reach "donation fatigue". And this is for a program that is currently not looking at playing a game until the third season from now.

A classic Catch 22.......we're not going to commit to a longterm coaching contract until we're sure the money's there......and we're not going to donate our hard-earned dollars until we're sure we've got a coach.

UAB football fans have a long row to hoe.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - WhitetailWizard - 07-02-2015 11:57 AM

I'm not sure UAB fans fully understand what "no help" means to a G5 program......Once the cameras turn off and the press goes home some of this "money" unfortunately just isn't going to show up.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - trojanbrutha - 07-02-2015 01:45 PM

There will not be any movement until the NCAA lays out the plan to move forward.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - Usajags - 07-02-2015 02:08 PM

UAb should be presenting a plan to the NCAA, it is not the NCAA problem that the leaders of UAb are idiots. They created the mess, they should be presenting the solution, and then just need NCAA approval of the plan, if it differs from a normal restart of a program, which I think is what should happen.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - trojanbrutha - 07-02-2015 02:13 PM

(07-02-2015 02:08 PM)Usajags Wrote:  UAb should be presenting a plan to the NCAA, it is not the NCAA problem that the leaders of UAb are idiots. They created the mess, they should be presenting the solution, and then just need NCAA approval of the plan, if it differs from a normal restart of a program, which I think is what should happen.

Leader, not leaders...and I use the term loosely. This is a unique situation that needs to be followed, to the letter, at the direction of the NCAA. Do you really believe UAB should be in-charge of that? Methinks some jags would still like to see them fail so they could assume the position...or their position. 03-shhhh

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - arkstfan - 07-02-2015 03:03 PM

Most likely the NCAA will ask, "What do you want to do?" and then give thumbs up or thumbs down or suggest changes. The folks in Indy tend to not be terribly proactive in the peculiar situations.

The easiest way for the NCAA to deal with it is to not create a procedure where none exists but to let UAB toss out a proposal and then do a rules interpretation.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - Usajags - 07-02-2015 03:08 PM

And a month after the announcement, there is no sign that any of that has happened.

The longer this goes, the less likely we see them on the field again.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - airtroop - 07-02-2015 04:04 PM

(07-02-2015 11:38 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  

A classic Catch 22.......we're not going to commit to a longterm coaching contract until we're sure the money's there......and we're not going to donate our hard-earned dollars until we're sure we've got a coach.

YUP. This reminds me in a lot of ways of the time USA spent tens of thousands of dollars on a Carr feasibility report at the turn of the century (yeah, the same "Carr Sports" UAB hired to tell them to drop football). The BOA at the time (all bleeding crimson for the most part) hired them to appease we Jags fans who were screaming for USA Football and of course, we got what we should have expected.

Carr comes back and recommends USA do a "season ticket drive" to gauge community interest in a football program and IF successful, implement a NON-SCHOLARSHIP D-IAA football program to begin with and join the Pioneer League. This was enough for many of us to "bite", including myself, who worked closely with the athletic department to make something happen. My part in the process was as a marketing consultant, donating many hours of my time for absolutely FREE.

First thing I told the AD at the time was "We need a coach. Even if not on salary, let's give the season ticket holders a name and a face IF we were able to sell 4k (I believe it was?) season tickets. The AD agreed and ran it up the flagpole to the Tide fans in charge. He called me within an hour and told me they said "NO!" Next, I said "Well, let's tap your 20+ thousand national alumni base with a professional call center who is willing to work FOR FREE just so they can put "University Of South Alabama" on their resume?" The AD agreed. He called me back within an hour and told me the Roll-Tide-Rolls had again said "NO!"

Instead, they had a couple of students volunteering to tap the alumni base one by one with a very short time frame remaining in our "Season Ticket Drive". Had they said "YES" to the professional call center, located right in the City of Mobile, they could've tapped all 20+ thousand within days... but NOPE!

So what happened is we fell behind the QUOTED number of season ticket holders goal (I believe we had generated only about 2500 paid holders) because it was hard to get people to buy into a conceptual, POSSIBLE football team with no coach who would be willing to sign a cheap contract were we to achieve the Tide fans' impossible "goal" (under the circumstances and handcuffs).

This is what I sense is going on at UAB (I hope I'm wrong!). You'd be surprised just how much BS goes on behind the scenes in a deceptive, doomed to fail scheme. It sure smells the same to me.

RE: UAb update, cause what else we gonna talk about - gsu95 - 07-02-2015 04:16 PM

(07-02-2015 11:38 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  

Except not as good as the book, probably.

But yeah, it's one of those deals. To me, hard to commit until you know you got the resources to commit, otherwise what happens if the resources don't materialize? Who eats that taco?