CSNbbs
TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back (/thread-741616.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - EverRespect - 07-02-2015 07:57 AM

Quote: A man continued on his flight out of Richmond International Airport without a large bag of money that was confiscated by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). The man, who was stopped at a checkpoint, was carrying $75,000 in cash. The TSA kept it and he boarded his flight.

The man’s bulky bag left TSA agents wondering what was inside, and when they opened it they found bundle after bundle of cash stacks inside the passenger’s carry-on bag. Authorities checked out the passenger, but he was not charged and was given clearance to continue his flight.

http://wtvr.com/2015/06/30/tsa-seizes-75000-in-cash-from-richmond-passenger-and-he-may-not-get-it-back/

Ridiculous that the government can take your possessions like this with no charges, much less conviction.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - NCeagle - 07-02-2015 08:01 AM

I hate civil forfeiture. It is a crock of sh1t. I wish some congress members would grow a pair and stop this crap.

this is why if you are ever traveling with money, and you are asked if you have money, you say no, and make sure it is hidden.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - Lord Stanley - 07-02-2015 08:05 AM

(07-02-2015 08:01 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  this is why if you are ever traveling with money, and you are asked if you have money, you say no, and make sure it is hidden.

Which unfortunately leads the police to believe you are hiding the money for criminal reasons.

The only winning move to moving money is apparently not to move money.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - QuestionSocratic - 07-02-2015 08:09 AM

(07-02-2015 08:05 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(07-02-2015 08:01 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  this is why if you are ever traveling with money, and you are asked if you have money, you say no, and make sure it is hidden.

Which unfortunately leads the police to believe you are hiding the money for criminal reasons.

....or open an account with HSBC.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - EverRespect - 07-02-2015 08:22 AM

(07-02-2015 08:09 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  
(07-02-2015 08:05 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

....or open an account with HSBC.

Funny, we are actually in the process of closing an account with HSBC. They make it almost impossible to get your own money and their customer service is wait on the line for 30 minutes to speak with an Indian.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - Fo Shizzle - 07-02-2015 08:35 AM

While you have to be dumb as a box of rocks to carry 75K of cash around and especially through a TSA checkpoint....This is simply just theft by the government. Total BS.

I own myself. Therefore I own the fruits of the labor I produce. No one has the right to take those fruits from me. Otherwise...I am truly a slave.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - VA49er - 07-02-2015 08:41 AM

I don't really understand what he did wrong. I know when travelling into the country from overseas one has to declare any cash greater than $10K. This guy was just bording a domestic flight I think. Not sure the $10K rule applies on domestic flights. In fact, pretty sure it doesn't.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - shiftyeagle - 07-02-2015 08:44 AM

They can't find your guns, but they'll find your money.

[Image: south-park-tsa.jpg]

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - HeartOfDixie - 07-02-2015 08:44 AM

It does raise a lot of questions.

There is no good reason for moving that sort of money in this manner.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - NCeagle - 07-02-2015 08:46 AM

(07-02-2015 08:44 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  It does raise a lot of questions.

maybe he was going to buy a car?

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - VA49er - 07-02-2015 08:50 AM

That's not really the point though, is it? It's his money. Assuming it was legit, yes, I know that's a big assumption these days, he'll probably just do a bank transfer next time.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - EverRespect - 07-02-2015 08:51 AM

Perhaps he has been putting it under his matress for the last 15 years and is moving across country or visiting a child or grandchild to give them some money. Those sound like good reasons. Regardless, unless you can charge him with something, it is his. I know a few people that refuse to use banks. I am not personally that paranoid, but these people work legitimate jobs.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - HeartOfDixie - 07-02-2015 08:54 AM

(07-02-2015 08:50 AM)VA49er Wrote:  

That's not really the point though, is it? It's his money. Assuming it was legit, yes, I know that's a big assumption these days, he'll probably just do a bank transfer next time.

Yea, but given the "totality of the circumstance' that is the point.

No reasonable person travels with that sort of money on them. No reputable merchant requires that you deliver cash in this way, in fact, no individual seller operating legally does.

It's so off the wall that it gives rise to enough suspicion that a reasonable person would think he was doing this to commit some form of crime.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - HeartOfDixie - 07-02-2015 08:55 AM

(07-02-2015 08:51 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Perhaps he has been putting it under his matress for the last 15 years and is moving across country or visiting a child or grandchild to give them some money. Those sound like good reasons. Regardless, unless you can charge him with something, it is his. I know a few people that refuse to use banks. I am not personally that paranoid, but these people work legitimate jobs.

Maybe so, and those people should get their money back.

However, the majority of people who do this are doing so for nefarious reasons.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - NCeagle - 07-02-2015 09:30 AM

(07-02-2015 08:54 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

No reasonable person travels with that sort of money on them. No reputable merchant requires that you deliver cash in this way, in fact, no individual seller operating legally does.

It's so off the wall that it gives rise to enough suspicion that a reasonable person would think he was doing this to commit some form of crime.

So just because the government is suspicious, that gives them the right to take your stuff?

Cops took $12k from a kid traveling cross country to move in with a relative and go to college. It was a gift from a family member. Cops took it saying that they figured it would be used for drugs.

Cops seized the house of a family whose child was arrested for meth (or some similar drug). They said they thought the house could be used to traffic drugs. So they siezed the house.

Another man had $20k in cash to go buy a car off a guy from Craigslist. The cop who confiscated it didn't include that in his report, even though the guy told the cop he was buying a car. The cop said in an interview that he was told about it, but still failed to put it in the report.

None of these people were arrested for anything illegal, so why should their property be taken for anything less?

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - vandiver49 - 07-02-2015 09:33 AM

(07-02-2015 08:55 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

But isn't that for the judicial system to decide. Sure, put his money into temporary holding, but unless law enforcement can prove this individual was engaging in some kind of illegal activity, the money should be returned.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - NCeagle - 07-02-2015 09:34 AM

(07-02-2015 09:33 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

But isn't that for the judicial system to decide. Sure, put his money into temporary holding, but unless law enforcement can prove this individual was engaging in some kind of illegal activity, the money should be returned.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - HeartOfDixie - 07-02-2015 09:37 AM

(07-02-2015 09:33 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

Ultimately, but it is the duty of law enforcement to apprehend those who break the law or under an appropriate level of suspicion for having done so.

I would say this qualifies.

And I am not for civil forfeiture laws.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - HeartOfDixie - 07-02-2015 09:38 AM

(07-02-2015 09:30 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  
(07-02-2015 08:54 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

So just because the government is suspicious, that gives them the right to take your stuff?

Cops took $12k from a kid traveling cross country to move in with a relative and go to college. It was a gift from a family member. Cops took it saying that they figured it would be used for drugs.

Cops seized the house of a family whose child was arrested for meth (or some similar drug). They said they thought the house could be used to traffic drugs. So they siezed the house.

Another man had $20k in cash to go buy a car off a guy from Craigslist. The cop who confiscated it didn't include that in his report, even though the guy told the cop he was buying a car. The cop said in an interview that he was told about it, but still failed to put it in the report.

None of these people were arrested for anything illegal, so why should their property be taken for anything less?

Arrested under the appropriate level of suspicion is fine with me.

RE: TSA seizes $75,000 in cash from Richmond passenger, and he may not get it back - EverRespect - 07-02-2015 09:39 AM

Agree, but he is innocent until proven guilty. If you see a white man driving slowly in a drug infested black neighborhood, he is probably getting drugs, but you don't arrest him or impound his vehicle just for being there.