CSNbbs
One year after joining Big Ten, Maryland on the road to solvency and success - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big10bbs (/forum-259.html)
+---- Forum: Big 10 Conference Talk (/forum-167.html)
+---- Thread: One year after joining Big Ten, Maryland on the road to solvency and success (/thread-741352.html)

One year after joining Big Ten, Maryland on the road to solvency and success - Transic_nyc - 06-28-2015 10:43 PM

Maryland's budget projections won't be available until next month, but they have been helped by a front-loaded deal with the Big Ten.

The Baltimore Sun reported in 2013 that the conference had agreed to give Maryland a subsidy worth between $20 million and $30 million to help defray travel expenses, estimated to be as much as double the $3 million teams spent in 2012-13.

Sports Illustrated reported that the Big Ten had projected Maryland would make $32 million in 2014-15 and $43 million in 2017, when the league renews its TV contract. In August 2014, the school settled its lawsuit with the ACC by allowing the league to keep more than $31 million in television revenue it had withheld.

Anderson said he expects the department's deficit to be gone "by 2018 or 2019, and we can move forward from there." In 2017, the first phase of a $155 million project to convert Cole Field House into an indoor practice facility for football is expected to be completed.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, who helped the league gain a financially significant foothold on the East Coast with its addition of Maryland and Rutgers, said in an interview with The Sun last month that he expected Maryland to be competitive across the board, though he acknowledged that he was "pleasantly surprised" by the football team's .500 record in the Big Ten's East Division.

"My view is that you expand to bring quality and to grow the conference brand, and nothing succeeds like a little bit of success, especially early on," Delany said. "I know of Maryland's history, traditions, success.

"I'm happy for them. What happens on the field is a function of how good your players are and how good your coaches are and what happens in any particular year. They've got good players and they've got good coaches."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-big-ten-anniversary-0628-20150627-story.html#page=1

Rest of the article is interesting as well. I suggest you all read it.

RE: One year after joining Big Ten, Maryland on the road to solvency and success - PIRATE TERP - 07-10-2015 07:30 AM

as always ... GO TERPS 04-rock