CSNbbs
Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? (/thread-740654.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - Fitbud - 06-19-2015 11:28 AM

The Daily Show host Jon Stewart has slammed America’s response to the mass shooting in a South Carolina church, predicting that nothing would be done in the wake of a “terrorist attack” that left nine people dead.

In a sombre opening to a show he promised would contain no jokes, Stewart said some people were already working hard to discount the idea that racism was the motive behind the massacre.

“I’m confident, though, that by acknowledging it, by staring into that and seeing it for what it is, we still won’t do jackshit.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/daily-shows-jon-stewart-on-charleston-shooting-this-was-a-terrorist-attack-2015-6#ixzz3dWg46JN2

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - blunderbuss - 06-19-2015 11:30 AM

Who's working hard to discount the idea that racism was involved?

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - Fitbud - 06-19-2015 11:35 AM

There is no doubt that this was racially motivated. Let's forget about the racial aspect of it for a moment and consider what Stewart is saying.

Why is it that foreign terrorism has caused us to fight two wars, kill thousands, lose thousands.

But when it's domestic terrorism, we do absolutely nothing?

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - Lord Stanley - 06-19-2015 11:41 AM

(06-19-2015 11:35 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Why is it that foreign terrorism has caused us to fight two wars, kill thousands, lose thousands.

I'm intrigued by your demand the United States invade the United States to fight the murderous racial ideology of a mentally ill young adult.

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - I45owl - 06-19-2015 11:43 AM

Here's a good argument to not do so (for Roof or anyone else)...

History News Network | Daniel Pipes says he’s give up using the word “terrorist"

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/159576 Wrote:Terrorism is such a loaded word. The UN has been struggling for more than a decade to define the word and they can't. It is very difficult to. We know what political violence is, we know what murder, bombings and shootings are and we describe them. That's much more revealing, we believe, than using a word like terrorist which people will see as value-laden.

I have written & spoken some 200 times about terrorism; I argued over decades for its coherent use; note my Washington Post letter to editor on this topic in 1984; as recently as last October, I co-authored an article arguing that the legal and financial implications of the word terrorism require that it have "a precise and accurate definition, consistently applied." My new view is that legal and financial documents should be re-written without the term terrorism.

It's been five months now since these words fell out of my vocabulary, long enough to be able to report that my analyses hold up and my political efforts undimmed. In fact, I am better off unburdened of it and its vocabulary debates. You would be too. (June 2, 2015)

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - Fitbud - 06-19-2015 11:43 AM

(06-19-2015 11:41 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 11:35 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Why is it that foreign terrorism has caused us to fight two wars, kill thousands, lose thousands.

I'm intrigued by your demand the United States invade the United States to fight the murderous racial ideology of a mentally ill young adult.

I'm not demanding the United States invade itself.

I am intrigued however that you would interpret my agreement with Stewart that something should be done about domestic terrorism as such.

Why is it always all or nothing with many in this country. There are shades of gray.

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - HeartOfDixie - 06-19-2015 11:46 AM

Probably because it is better defined as murder than terrorism.

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - ClairtonPanther - 06-19-2015 11:46 AM

I'd label Roof as a domestic terrorist. His goal was to promote a race war, he was fed up with the world he was seeing, and he carried out an attack.

Now, what exactly can the United States do to prevent such an attack in the future?

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - hoopfan - 06-19-2015 11:48 AM

who gives a flying f*** what the liberals comedian news source has to say.

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - Fitbud - 06-19-2015 11:49 AM

It is amazing to see how some of the same people who were angry that Obama would not use the word terrorism to discribe other events are now reluctant to call Roof a terrorist or what he did an act of terrorism.

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - HeartOfDixie - 06-19-2015 11:52 AM

(06-19-2015 11:48 AM)hoopfan Wrote:  who gives a flying f*** what the liberals comedian news source has to say.

This

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - Fitbud - 06-19-2015 11:53 AM

The guy made a very important point. That you or others wouldn't listen simply because you don't agree with what you perceive to be his politics speaks volumes.

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - HeartOfDixie - 06-19-2015 11:55 AM

It's not an important point. That's a conclusory statement.

It's his usual rambling.

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - UofMstateU - 06-19-2015 11:55 AM

(06-19-2015 11:49 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  It is amazing to see how some of the same people who were angry that Obama would not use the word terrorism to discribe other events are now reluctant to call Roof a terrorist or what he did an act of terrorism.

Has Obama called him a terrorist?

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - Fo Shizzle - 06-19-2015 11:57 AM

I have no problem calling this a racially motivated terrorist attack.

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - Fitbud - 06-19-2015 11:57 AM

(06-19-2015 11:55 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 11:49 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  It is amazing to see how some of the same people who were angry that Obama would not use the word terrorism to discribe other events are now reluctant to call Roof a terrorist or what he did an act of terrorism.

Has Obama called him a terrorist?

He has not.That is exactly the point. But at least he's been consistant.

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - ECUGrad07 - 06-19-2015 11:59 AM

More liberals slurping the Jon Stewart gospel. He's a comedian.

Re: RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - blunderbuss - 06-19-2015 11:59 AM

(06-19-2015 11:43 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  

I am intrigued however that you would interpret my agreement with Stewart that something should be done about domestic terrorism as such.

Why is it always all or nothing with many in this country. There are shades of gray.

I guess i dont understand what else you think we're supposed to do. There's only so much one can do to change hearts and minds. At the end of the day ita up to individuals to act.

I grew up with black kids and we got along great.I even go out of my way to hold a door open for black people just hoping maybe somebodys perception changes.

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - Fitbud - 06-19-2015 12:03 PM

(06-19-2015 11:59 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 11:43 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  

I guess i dont understand what else you think we're supposed to do. There's only so much one can do to change hearts and minds. At the end of the day ita up to individuals to act.

I grew up with black kids and we got along great.I even go out of my way to hold a door open for black people just hoping maybe somebodys perception changes.

Why then do we do what we do in other countries to change hearts and minds.

We spend billions to try and changes hearts and minds in other countries but many in this country don't want to spend a red cent to change hearts and minds in this country.

Why do you think that is?

RE: Why isn't Roof being called a terrorist? - MemphisTiger15 - 06-19-2015 12:05 PM

(06-19-2015 11:48 AM)hoopfan Wrote:  who gives a flying f*** what the liberals comedian news source has to say.

exactly, the next time I care what Stewart thinks will be the 1st.

As for this nutcase killer, I just don't understand people like him. Don't like blacks? Then move somewhere that there aren't any instead of shooting up a church and killing folks.