CSNbbs
CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... (/thread-740542.html)

Pages: 1 2

CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - Maize - 06-17-2015 05:07 PM

From the article...interesting that only the ACC, B1G-(Minnesota) & Big XII are leagues that allow Beer sales...:

Texas fans will be able to enjoy a cold beer inside Darrel K. Royal Stadium this fall during Longhorns games. The decision to permit beer and wine sales at football games follows an expiremental stage that included alcohol sales at men's and women's basketball games.

New UT president Greg Fenves voiced his support for beer sales earlier this month. This week, chancellor Bill McRaven gave the "OK" to expand the alcohol sales to football games.

"Fan safety and enjoyment remains our number one priority as we work through the process of expanding beer and wine sales into all seating areas of the stadium," athletic director Steve Patterson said in a school-released statement. "During our extensive pilot, we found fans and staff handled the situation responsibly and we had no negative issues or situations."

Texas joins West Virginia and Kansas State as some of the first Big 12 schools to offer alcohol for sale at football games.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25217636/cheers-texas-will-serve-beer-at-football-games-in-2015

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - NestaKnight1 - 06-17-2015 07:10 PM

(06-17-2015 05:07 PM)Maize Wrote:  From the article...interesting that only the ACC, B1G-(Minnesota) & Big XII are leagues that allow Beer sales...:

Texas fans will be able to enjoy a cold beer inside Darrel K. Royal Stadium this fall during Longhorns games. The decision to permit beer and wine sales at football games follows an expiremental stage that included alcohol sales at men's and women's basketball games.

New UT president Greg Fenves voiced his support for beer sales earlier this month. This week, chancellor Bill McRaven gave the "OK" to expand the alcohol sales to football games.

"Fan safety and enjoyment remains our number one priority as we work through the process of expanding beer and wine sales into all seating areas of the stadium," athletic director Steve Patterson said in a school-released statement. "During our extensive pilot, we found fans and staff handled the situation responsibly and we had no negative issues or situations."

Texas joins West Virginia and Kansas State as some of the first Big 12 schools to offer alcohol for sale at football games.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25217636/cheers-texas-will-serve-beer-at-football-games-in-2015
The way Texas has been playing lately it should allow fans to drown their sorrows. 04-cheers

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - CardFan1 - 06-18-2015 09:38 AM

Seriously..Wine ? At a Football Game.................03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - Carolina_Low_Country - 06-18-2015 10:02 AM

(06-18-2015 09:38 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Seriously..Wine ? At a Football Game.................03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Got to please the women.

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - MemphisTiger15 - 06-18-2015 10:22 AM

They cost $8 or $9, but I've been enjoying beer at Memphis football and basketball games for years.

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - VA49er - 06-18-2015 10:28 AM

Doesn't State law come into play as well? I don't think beer is served at any NC college events even if the ACC allows alcohol.

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - Carolina_Low_Country - 06-18-2015 10:57 AM

(06-18-2015 10:28 AM)VA49er Wrote:  Doesn't State law come into play as well? I don't think beer is served at any NC college events even if the ACC allows alcohol.

No only UNC system schools are not allowed to sell alcohol on campus or during sporting events. The private schools can do what they want. However several schools have been ignoring this rule and have been serving alcohol on campus for years. East Carolina sales beer in the club level and beer and wine in the Murphy Center during football games. Just can not purchase in general area. However in the future the pressbox side will have alcohol and probably the upper deck just not the student section.

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - CougarRed - 06-18-2015 11:04 AM

(06-18-2015 09:38 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Seriously..Wine ? At a Football Game..

Classic story. John Mackovic got a reputation for being a wine connoisseur during his time in Austin, which fancies itself as wine country.

Despite making the Sugar Bowl in 1995, the Texas fans were already becoming restless with Mackovic in 1996 after a home loss to Notre Dame.

The next week, UT travelled to Charlottesville to play UVa led by the Barber brothers. It was ugly. The Cavs manhandled the Horns 37-13.

In the middle of the fourth quarter, one of the Texas fans sitting a few rows behind the Longhorn bench had enough. He stood up and yelled at the top of his lungs:

"Hey Mackovic! What kind of chardonnay goes with a blowout?"

03-rotfl

UT eventually upset Nebraska that season to win the inaugural Big 12 title. Mackovic slipped to 4-7 the following year and had clearly worn out his welcome. He was fired after one bad season following back to back Sugar and Fiesta Bowl appearances.

Good luck, Charlie Strong.

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - bitcruncher - 06-18-2015 11:52 AM

(06-18-2015 10:22 AM)MemphisTiger15 Wrote:  They cost $8 or $9, but I've been enjoying beer at Memphis football and basketball games for years.
Sales of alcohol bring in well over half a million annually for WVU. Texas could nearly double that figure easily.

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - MemphisTiger15 - 06-18-2015 12:38 PM

(06-18-2015 11:52 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 10:22 AM)MemphisTiger15 Wrote:  They cost $8 or $9, but I've been enjoying beer at Memphis football and basketball games for years.
Sales of alcohol bring in well over half a million annually for WVU. Texas could nearly double that figure easily.

sometimes it feels like I spend that much myself

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - VA49er - 06-18-2015 12:44 PM

(06-18-2015 10:57 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 10:28 AM)VA49er Wrote:  Doesn't State law come into play as well? I don't think beer is served at any NC college events even if the ACC allows alcohol.

No only UNC system schools are not allowed to sell alcohol on campus or during sporting events. The private schools can do what they want. However several schools have been ignoring this rule and have been serving alcohol on campus for years. East Carolina sales beer in the club level and beer and wine in the Murphy Center during football games. Just can not purchase in general area. However in the future the pressbox side will have alcohol and probably the upper deck just not the student section.

Thanks, so it's a UNC system thing and not a State law thing. I've had a beer as well at Charlotte bball games up in the "half time hospitality" section. I'm guessing that's the loophole, alcohol can be served in situations like that, just not to the general audience, etc.

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - SuperFlyBCat - 06-18-2015 02:40 PM

(06-17-2015 05:07 PM)Maize Wrote:  From the article...interesting that only the ACC, B1G-(Minnesota) & Big XII are leagues that allow Beer sales...:

Maize are you talking P5 only. I think most of the AAC stadiums have beer options. We have vendors that come to you seat. If you want draft you can get that also.

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - bitcruncher - 06-18-2015 02:47 PM

(06-18-2015 12:38 PM)MemphisTiger15 Wrote:  
If only Memphis sold beer at the stadium. You'd be funding the team's new uniforms every season. 04-cheers

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - Pony94 - 06-18-2015 02:47 PM

HAHAHAHA

A&M chancellor Sharp on alcohol at events: "Our athletic program has not reached the point where we require the numbing effects of alcohol."

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - MemphisTiger15 - 06-18-2015 04:33 PM

(06-18-2015 02:47 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
If only Memphis sold beer at the stadium. You'd be funding the team's new uniforms every season. 04-cheers

They do. Even have the roving vendors selling it so you don't have to get up except to pee.

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - bitcruncher - 06-19-2015 11:32 AM

(06-18-2015 04:33 PM)MemphisTiger15 Wrote:  
They do. Even have the roving vendors selling it so you don't have to get up except to pee.
So did you fund the team's uniforms for the upcoming season? 07-coffee3

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - NJ2MDTerp - 06-19-2015 11:37 AM

So has Maryland:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/university-of-maryland-approves-beer-sales-at-sports-events/2015/06/11/c3a5c0c6-1027-11e5-a0fe-dccfea4653ee_story.html

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - bullet - 06-19-2015 11:44 AM

(06-18-2015 02:47 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  HAHAHAHA

A&M chancellor Sharp on alcohol at events: "Our athletic program has not reached the point where we require the numbing effects of alcohol."

Yes, they try to save the alcohol for the A&M board of regents (big scandal about 20 years ago-then they went after the whistleblower).

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - Wedge - 06-19-2015 11:55 AM

(06-18-2015 04:33 PM)MemphisTiger15 Wrote:  

I thought almost every place had stopped selling beer through the vendors that walk through the stands. I remember when the Giants played at Candlestick, there were always a few fans in the outfield seats who would get several beers from those vendors and by about the 6th or 7th inning they'd be sauced enough to get into fistfights with each other. Of course, each beer was $3 at the park then.

RE: CBS: Texas to start selling Beer & Wine at it Football Games... - Maize - 06-21-2015 07:38 AM

(06-18-2015 02:40 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Maize are you talking P5 only. I think most of the AAC stadiums have beer options. We have vendors that come to you seat. If you want draft you can get that also.

Yes....my mistake should have been clearer.