CSNbbs
NBA Finals - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: NBA Finals (/thread-739553.html)

Pages: 1 2

NBA Finals - mmucha - 06-04-2015 06:08 PM

OK, game 1 starts in 2 hours. can't wait!! :)

I soooooo want the CAVS to take game 1!

any predictions/thoughts?

everyone (talking heads in the media) saying health of Kyrie Irving critical to cavs chances..

RE: NBA Finals - dannyb73 - 06-04-2015 07:59 PM

GSW in 5.

RE: NBA Finals - anti-zip - 06-05-2015 12:19 AM

(06-04-2015 06:08 PM)mmucha Wrote:  everyone (talking heads in the media) saying health of Kyrie Irving critical to cavs chances..

That pretty much sums it up. Kyrie needs to be 100% to be useful because he's not a great defensive player to begin with. He'll have a hard time guarding Curry at 100% anything less than that and Curry will destroy him.

After tonight it appears that Kyrie being 100% is a pipe dream so assuming he can actually play the best bet is to stick him on Barnes. He gives up a lot of size to Barnes but he's the least dangerous offensive weapon they have on the perimeter.

It's kind of sad that a team can accumulate three #1 overall picks, two #4 overall picks, a #17, and a #19 over the span of 4 years. Then have the best player in the world sign as a free agent and still have virtually no depth on the roster.

RE: NBA Finals - anti-zip - 06-05-2015 12:25 AM

To add to the bleak outlook tonight. Kyrie had the best +/- on the team tonight with a +5 in 44 minutes (why would you play him 44 minutes?!?!). So who had the worst +/- you ask? Dellavedova (who will likely take any minutes Kyrie has to vacate) had a -13 in only 9 minutes.

RE: NBA Finals - dannyb73 - 06-05-2015 04:21 AM

(06-05-2015 12:25 AM)anti-zip Wrote:  To add to the bleak outlook tonight. Kyrie had the best +/- on the team tonight with a +5 in 44 minutes (why would you play him 44 minutes?!?!). So who had the worst +/- you ask? Dellavedova (who will likely take any minutes Kyrie has to vacate) had a -13 in only 9 minutes.

Dellavadova is a clown show out there. Looked like he belonged when playing against Eastern conference teams but he has no business being on the floor. And the answer to your question of why play Kyrie 44 minutes is easy......the kid was moving well and looked/played great. There is no reason to limit a player at that point if you are trying to win. There is no tomorrow. Not another series after this. Him getting re-injured wasn't because of the minutes played, it was simply because something funny happened on that play. A random occurrence. Could have happened in the 3rd minute or the 44th.

RE: NBA Finals - fallsdog - 06-05-2015 06:59 AM

(06-05-2015 04:21 AM)dannyb73 Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 12:25 AM)anti-zip Wrote:  To add to the bleak outlook tonight. Kyrie had the best +/- on the team tonight with a +5 in 44 minutes (why would you play him 44 minutes?!?!). So who had the worst +/- you ask? Dellavedova (who will likely take any minutes Kyrie has to vacate) had a -13 in only 9 minutes.
Him getting re-injured wasn't because of the minutes played, it was simply because something funny happened on that play. A random occurrence. Could have happened in the 3rd minute or the 44th.

Not sure that is 100% accurate. The idea that he, or anyone, could get hurt in the 4th, 14th or 44th minute is true. But Kyrie is less than 100% to start.

So playing him for 44 minutes, you have to take into account that he is getting tired. I would assume more tired than most players out there. With fatigue comes sloppy technique. Chance of injury goes up.

I expected to see Coach Blatt play Kyrie Irving in spurts rather than throw him to the wolves in game 1.

RE: NBA Finals - AlphaFlash - 06-05-2015 07:07 AM

I'll tell y'all, go to the Q for the watch party on Sunday. $5 for the biggest party in town.

RE: NBA Finals - burden - 06-05-2015 09:51 AM

Basketball is a frustrating game. If Shumpert makes the shot the Cavs win and Irving never gets hurt. It's a whole different series. Watching the Irving injury I think it's clear that he didn't just aggravate his tendinitis. It sure looks like a sprain at least. I would bet he's done. Hopefully surgery won't be needed.

Without Irving we are dead as Dellvadova just doesn't match well with the Warriors. He could barely bring the ball up the court. Lebron will now be the point guard all the time in addition to his other duties. I hope we don't kill him over the next three games. The one move Griffin never made was getting a back up point guard and it will kill us now.

Also our Lebron recruited bench of Perkins, Miller and Marion has been a joke. Thank God they did not sign Ray Allen too.

RE: NBA Finals - mmucha - 06-05-2015 10:21 AM

burden said:
"Basketball is a frustrating game. If Shumpert makes the shot the Cavs win and Irving never gets hurt. It's a whole different series."

soooooo true

RE: NBA Finals - anti-zip - 06-05-2015 06:38 PM

(06-05-2015 06:59 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 04:21 AM)dannyb73 Wrote:  
Him getting re-injured wasn't because of the minutes played, it was simply because something funny happened on that play. A random occurrence. Could have happened in the 3rd minute or the 44th.

Not sure that is 100% accurate. The idea that he, or anyone, could get hurt in the 4th, 14th or 44th minute is true. But Kyrie is less than 100% to start.

So playing him for 44 minutes, you have to take into account that he is getting tired. I would assume more tired than most players out there. With fatigue comes sloppy technique. Chance of injury goes up.

I expected to see Coach Blatt play Kyrie Irving in spurts rather than throw him to the wolves in game 1.

Agreed. He looked to be moving well and played as if he was 100% but everyone knew he wasn't. I felt going in that his knee was a time bomb, at some point in the series he was going to be slowed by it so it needed to be managed carefully. When he first hurt his knee he was playing really well and wasn't noticeably hobbled. Afterwards he said he felt like he was favoring his ankle injury a little which resulted in the tendinitis. That's the big fear of playing someone such high minutes when they've got minor injuries. If there is any difference in how you're moving it could put additional strain on something else and turn a minor pain into a big injury.

It's really sad because Kyrie's ability to defend Curry was going to be one of the biggest keys to this series. Last night had to be one of the best defensive games Kyrie has ever played. Frankly, he out played Curry.

RE: NBA Finals - anti-zip - 06-05-2015 07:03 PM

(06-05-2015 09:51 AM)burden Wrote:  The one move Griffin never made was getting a back up point guard and it will kill us now.

Exactly, and PG is the easiest position to fill. There are more NBA starter caliber PGs in the world than any other position simply because there's more people between 6'0" and 6'4" in the world than 6'5" and up. When we took Joe Harris in the second round last year there were at least 3 point guards on the board that would almost surely play over Delly. Spenser Dinwiddie, Langston Galloway, and Jordan Clarkson. Any of those guys would've filled an immediate need on the roster and are overall better players than Harris. Instead they took a one trick pony that didn't even fill a need. It made no sense at the time and unfortunately it's hurting us now.

Griffin's other huge gaffe was believing he could enter the season with only 3 post players capable of being part of an NBA rotation (Thompson, Love, and Varejao). After Andy went down and they acquired Mozgov they still only had 3 capable post players entering the playoffs. Now, we're stuck trying to get minutes at the 4 from the corpse of James Jones.

We're wasting 6 roster spots with guys that aren't really capable of playing (Jones, Miller, Perkins, Haywood, Marion, and Harris). That's over a third of the roster. When you factor in the 3 injuries (Kyrie, Love, and Andy) you're only left with 6 players that can actually be counted on.

RE: NBA Finals - burden - 06-06-2015 10:12 PM

Looking at the replays Irving banged knees with Thompson. It really looks like it was a separate injury and had nothing to do with his tendinitis. Just another freak accident that seems to always happen at the worst times in Cleveland.

RE: NBA Finals - mmucha - 06-08-2015 10:34 AM

absolutely frickin' AMAZING what the cavs did last night!!!

can you imagine.. if we take-care of business & win 2 at the Q...

dannyb73 "Dellavadova is a clown show out there"

really...

RE: NBA Finals - burden - 06-08-2015 11:40 AM

It was a fantastic performance. Winning two at home would be nice but it is far from likely without Irving and Love. Just keep playing good D and see what happens. I assume JR will go off sooner than later and carry us in one game.

RE: NBA Finals - bball4me - 06-08-2015 01:12 PM

The officiating certainly changes in the finals but not making a call on James driving to the basket at the end of regulation in front of an official 3 feet away is unreal. It was questioned by the announcers and viewed several times on replay showed how obvious it was he got hammered.

RE: NBA Finals - anti-zip - 06-08-2015 05:39 PM

Found this old box score today. I would love to go back and watch that Porrini vs. Delly match-up.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2011-03-15-saint-marys-ca.html

As for the hype Delly is getting right now, he certainly deserves a ton of credit. It seems like it might be getting a little overblown though. Curry was missing shots that he normally makes as well. I think one of the deciding factors of this series will be how Curry rebounds from this last game.

RE: NBA Finals - anti-zip - 06-08-2015 05:52 PM

(06-08-2015 01:12 PM)bball4me Wrote:  The officiating certainly changes in the finals but not making a call on James driving to the basket at the end of regulation in front of an official 3 feet away is unreal. It was questioned by the announcers and viewed several times on replay showed how obvious it was he got hammered.

They were terrible. How do you miss Green holding his opponent down by the shoulder on two separate jump-balls? They let Iguodala hand-check LeBron with both hands every time he got beat. Bogut gets away with a lot of holds and moving screens as well.

RE: NBA Finals - dannyb73 - 06-09-2015 02:22 PM

(06-08-2015 10:34 AM)mmucha Wrote:  absolutely frickin' AMAZING what the cavs did last night!!!

can you imagine.. if we take-care of business & win 2 at the Q...

dannyb73 "Dellavadova is a clown show out there"

really...

If he played for KSU and had 6 turnovers and 1 assist you would want to send him to the gym annex for the rest of his career.

RE: NBA Finals - mmucha - 06-10-2015 11:15 AM

whatta game last night!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

headline from yahoo sports:
"LeBron, Dellavedova lead Cavs to Game 3 win"

It was an exhausting 38½-minute performance for Dellavedova, who needed an IV after the game and was taken to a local hospital in an ambulance for further treatment after he experienced severe cramps.
"He plays as hard as he can every day," Cavaliers coach David Blatt said. "He plays right. He's not afraid. He plays courageously. And everybody on his team has his back. It's not an issue of confidence. He is going to give you whatever he has."

RE: NBA Finals - burden - 06-10-2015 03:37 PM

When Delly went into the crowd late in the fourth quarter I thought he would end up dead. That shot late in the game I am sure was due to hours of practice. We all practice getting fouled, falling down and banking it in don't we? Wonder how long he and James can keep this up? Two more games I hope.