CSNbbs
USM baseball missing regional - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: USM baseball missing regional (/thread-738465.html)

Pages: 1 2

USM baseball missing regional - usm99 - 05-25-2015 09:31 PM

From reading threads, your thought on USM baseball not making a regional

RE: USM baseball missing regional - RonBurgundy - 05-25-2015 09:36 PM

Watching the ESPNU Road to Omaha and it really seems like the selection committee picked the last teams randomly out of a hat.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - shiftyeagle - 05-26-2015 08:30 AM

We didn't deserve it. Lost a series to one of the worst teams in the nation at home. Horrible OOC schedule. Lost both weekend series to the only good teams we played on the weekend (Rice and FAU). Crapped our pants in the conference tournament at home.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - OptimisticOwl - 05-26-2015 08:52 AM

Both.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - USMSTUD - 05-26-2015 11:24 AM

Four straight years with no regional appearance and our AD has already come out and said Berry's contract, which was set to expire, will be extended this Summer.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - eaglenjxn - 05-26-2015 12:17 PM

We didn't get screwed.

There is a reasonable explanation for every team selected above us. Whether you agree with it or not is a different matter.

We played a piss poor schedule with an experienced, talented, and deep team. We had no business being in a situation where it was left up to the committee.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - HarborPointe - 05-26-2015 12:47 PM

(05-26-2015 11:24 AM)USMSTUD Wrote:  Four straight years with no regional appearance and our AD has already come out and said Berry's contract, which was set to expire, will be extended this Summer.

Can't say I'm happy about that, but letting go of a coach after the whole country saw you listed as a "Last 4 Out" by the NCAA after a few years of not even being in the conversation would be pretty shocking at face value. Objectively, this was Berry's best team. If that's indicative of of an upward trend, great. OTOH, it may--and I certainly believe it might--simply mark the peak of Berry's ability, in which case we're just digging deeper.

The Purgatory in Hattiesburg continues.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - eaglenjxn - 05-26-2015 01:04 PM

(05-26-2015 12:47 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(05-26-2015 11:24 AM)USMSTUD Wrote:  Four straight years with no regional appearance and our AD has already come out and said Berry's contract, which was set to expire, will be extended this Summer.

Can't say I'm happy about that, but letting go of a coach after the whole country saw you listed as a "Last 4 Out" by the NCAA after a few years of not even being in the conversation would be pretty shocking at face value. Objectively, this was Berry's best team. If that's indicative of of an upward trend, great. OTOH, it may--and I certainly believe it might--simply mark the peak of Berry's ability, in which case we're just digging deeper.

This was one of those seasons that would inspire optimism if it were a young team made up of freshmen. Then, you could look at the program and believe that progress may be coming.

This was, however, a very experienced and talented team made up of juniors and seniors in a sport in which players typically begin producing by their second year in the program. "Almost getting in" in your "payoff" year isn't good enough.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - nastybunch - 05-26-2015 01:07 PM

Looks like we have settled in to liking mediocrity at USM.....Very sad.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - shiftyeagle - 05-26-2015 01:17 PM

McG was going to extend his contract no matter what happened this season. That's what is scary. I don't think he ever considered otherwise.

Really disappointing.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - HarborPointe - 05-26-2015 01:23 PM

(05-26-2015 01:04 PM)eaglenjxn Wrote:  
(05-26-2015 12:47 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  Can't say I'm happy about that, but letting go of a coach after the whole country saw you listed as a "Last 4 Out" by the NCAA after a few years of not even being in the conversation would be pretty shocking at face value. Objectively, this was Berry's best team. If that's indicative of of an upward trend, great. OTOH, it may--and I certainly believe it might--simply mark the peak of Berry's ability, in which case we're just digging deeper.

This was one of those seasons that would inspire optimism if it were a young team made up of freshmen. Then, you could look at the program and believe that progress may be coming.

This was, however, a very experienced and talented team made up of juniors and seniors in a sport in which players typically begin producing by their second year in the program. "Almost getting in" in your "payoff" year isn't good enough.

Yep. All we can do now is hope Berry took a couple of years to figure things out and now he'll be better at developing the current underclassmen than he was with the outgoing group, for whom he learned his lessons too late.

I honestly don't expect that to be the case, but it's all we've got.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - shiftyeagle - 05-26-2015 01:24 PM

Wonder how bad the OOC schedule will be next year to inflate his win total again.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - shiftyeagle - 05-26-2015 01:29 PM

Baseball was the last hope for our athletics program. I think this decision sealed its perpetuation into mediocrity.

The guy has won a total of ONE postseason (against Jacksonville State) game in 6 years as HC, inheriting a team coming off a CWS appearance with all the momentum in the world. Missed the postseason 4 times in a row. Lost series to the likes of Oakland, LeMoyne, SIU-Edwardsville, etc. Zero regular season conference championships.

Unfortunately and pathetically, mediocre is better than the other two major programs. At least at this point.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - HarborPointe - 05-26-2015 01:30 PM

(05-26-2015 01:24 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Wonder how bad the OOC schedule will be next year to inflate his win total again.

I dunno. After some of the losses this season, that may be declared a failed experiment. You may see the opposite happen and a more RPI-friendly schedule, win or lose, in its place next year.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - shiftyeagle - 05-26-2015 01:31 PM

(05-26-2015 01:30 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(05-26-2015 01:24 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Wonder how bad the OOC schedule will be next year to inflate his win total again.

I dunno. After some of the losses this season, that may be declared a failed experiment. You may see the opposite happen and a more RPI-friendly schedule, win or lose, in its place next year.

I really hope so. If we are going to lose, make it someone worth losing to. These cupcake schedules are what Scott Berry wants. Apparently it has worked for him, but no one else.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - MU ATO - 05-26-2015 08:11 PM

(05-25-2015 09:31 PM)usm99 Wrote:  From reading threads, your thought on USM baseball not making a regional

I blame Obama.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - nastybunch - 05-26-2015 08:17 PM

(05-26-2015 08:11 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  
(05-25-2015 09:31 PM)usm99 Wrote:  From reading threads, your thought on USM baseball not making a regional

I blame Obama.

Even he wouldn't have rehired Berry....

RE: USM baseball missing regional - USMSTUD - 05-26-2015 08:38 PM

2011 team was Berry's best team. They could hit which this team struggled to do most of the season.
This team was the best fielding and pitching team in the aluminum bat era.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - USMSTUD - 05-26-2015 08:41 PM

(05-26-2015 01:23 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(05-26-2015 01:04 PM)eaglenjxn Wrote:  
(05-26-2015 12:47 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  Can't say I'm happy about that, but letting go of a coach after the whole country saw you listed as a "Last 4 Out" by the NCAA after a few years of not even being in the conversation would be pretty shocking at face value. Objectively, this was Berry's best team. If that's indicative of of an upward trend, great. OTOH, it may--and I certainly believe it might--simply mark the peak of Berry's ability, in which case we're just digging deeper.

Yep. All we can do now is hope Berry took a couple of years to figure things out and now he'll be better at developing the current underclassmen than he was with the outgoing group, for whom he learned his lessons too late.

I honestly don't expect that to be the case, but it's all we've got.
Hard to develop underclassmen when you don't have many. Think we had a total of 8 freshmen and sophomores on the current roster.

RE: USM baseball missing regional - eaglenjxn - 05-27-2015 08:56 AM

(05-26-2015 08:38 PM)USMSTUD Wrote:  

2011 team was Berry's best team. They could hit which this team struggled to do most of the season.
This team was the best fielding and pitching team in the aluminum bat era.

Of course, BBCOR makes comparing stats today to pre-2011 stats apples and oranges.

This was a hell of a year defensively, though. Pitching staff was as deep as I can remember but didn't have that one shutdown reliever. Defensively, as much as I ragged on him for three years, Michael Sterling was unbelievable at short this season.

When you look at the outstanding pitching and outstanding defense and think that we didn't make a regional, you would expect our batting average to be lower....but it was decent and we had pretty good power numbers. We were just awful when it came to stiuational hitting and racked up strikeouts.