CSNbbs
[split] 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Smack Talk (/forum-423.html)
+----- Thread: [split] 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! (/thread-737058.html)

Pages: 1 2

[split] 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Bull - 05-04-2015 10:56 AM

No offense, but do other rivalries have threads comparing each and every sport? Did ECU and UCF do this in cUSA? I really don't check in on this thread much because I really don't care much about who wins golf, tennis, yada yada. I've seen some bitter rivalries, back in the Big East the WV and Pitt fans were absolutely vicious, but I don't ever remember them arguing about stuff like this.

Hey carry on if this is what you are into... I was just curious.

2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Knightbengal - 05-04-2015 01:03 PM

(05-04-2015 10:56 AM)Bull Wrote:  No offense, but do other rivalries have threads comparing each and every sport? Did ECU and UCF do this in cUSA? I really don't check in on this thread much because I really don't care much about who wins golf, tennis, yada yada. I've seen some bitter rivalries, back in the Big East the WV and Pitt fans were absolutely vicious, but I don't ever remember them arguing about stuff like this.

Review voodoo 5 when we played eachother in the past.

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Cubanbull - 05-04-2015 01:25 PM

(05-04-2015 10:56 AM)Bull Wrote:  No offense, but do other rivalries have threads comparing each and every sport? Did ECU and UCF do this in cUSA? I really don't check in on this thread much because I really don't care much about who wins golf, tennis, yada yada. I've seen some bitter rivalries, back in the Big East the WV and Pitt fans were absolutely vicious, but I don't ever remember them arguing about stuff like this.

I have no problem with it. It's fun. Our schools are so close in every matrix that I figure it will be close on a yearly basis

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Bull - 05-04-2015 01:35 PM

Thanks guys. Honestly, not a complaint I was really curious. I really don't recall other rivalries getting this detail oriented! KB thanks, I've never been to Voodo5, but I'll check it out. I went from the old ESPN Big East blog (which was later destroyed), to here... I've checkout TheBullsPen a few times also, but I'm not active there.

Cuban I agree... Many may not want to admit it, but our schools are so similar by almost every metric, that it will be (over the long haul) pretty hard for one to dominate the other for a prolonged period. Success like a Fiesta win can be very jealousy-inducing though. ;-)

I'm just praying at this point that we can get off the embarrassment of the post-Holtz period to some semblance of respect and make games competitive. I'm optimistic each year, until we crater...

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - mtmedlin - 05-04-2015 04:45 PM

(05-04-2015 01:35 PM)Bull Wrote:  Thanks guys. Honestly, not a complaint I was really curious. I really don't recall other rivalries getting this detail oriented! KB thanks, I've never been to Voodo5, but I'll check it out. I went from the old ESPN Big East blog (which was later destroyed), to here... I've checkout TheBullsPen a few times also, but I'm not active there.

Cuban I agree... Many may not want to admit it, but our schools are so similar by almost every metric, that it will be (over the long haul) pretty hard for one to dominate the other for a prolonged period. Success like a Fiesta win can be very jealousy-inducing though. ;-)

I'm just praying at this point that we can get off the embarrassment of the post-Holtz period to some semblance of respect and make games competitive. I'm optimistic each year, until we crater...

We are close in many metrics but there are some we are light years ahead. Ill go with sports and such but academically we are well ahead in many areas. UCF still cant touch our level of research, endowment, fundraising, patents and many other areas. Its why we are starting to move away from them in ranking. I believe were now about 13 places ahead of them.

Sports, ya were actually pretty close year in and year out.

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - st932253 - 05-04-2015 08:24 PM

(05-04-2015 10:56 AM)Bull Wrote:  I've seen some bitter rivalries, back in the Big East the WV and Pitt fans were absolutely vicious, but I don't ever remember them arguing about stuff like this.

This thread has been going on for 2 years and if you scroll through you won't find any real arguing - pretty good considering how many other threads go down the tubes on here.

The inspiration for the format was actually from our A-Sun days. They had a mens and women's All-Sports award and used final standings for team sports and championship standings for sports like golf and track. Surprised more conferences don't do it.

For UCF and USF its been interesting to see since our history of scheduling has been so random in more sports than just football. Even baseball was not as good because they were midweek games.

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - zfred12 - 05-04-2015 10:11 PM

(05-04-2015 04:45 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 01:35 PM)Bull Wrote:  Thanks guys. Honestly, not a complaint I was really curious. I really don't recall other rivalries getting this detail oriented! KB thanks, I've never been to Voodo5, but I'll check it out. I went from the old ESPN Big East blog (which was later destroyed), to here... I've checkout TheBullsPen a few times also, but I'm not active there.

We are close in many metrics but there are some we are light years ahead. Ill go with sports and such but academically we are well ahead in many areas. UCF still cant touch our level of research, endowment, fundraising, patents and many other areas. Its why we are starting to move away from them in ranking. I believe were now about 13 places ahead of them.

Just curious but what rankings are you referring to and what is the criteria for said ranking. But if you're correct wow 13 whole places why do we even try. You guys should join the ivy league. At least your football team would be competitive then lol.

2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Knightbengal - 05-05-2015 12:02 AM

(05-04-2015 10:11 PM)zfred12 Wrote:  

Just curious but what rankings are you referring to and what is the criteria for said ranking. But if you're correct wow 13 whole places why do we even try. You guys should join the ivy league. At least your football team would be competitive then lol.

He is talking about usnwr. With regard to research they are ahead because of their marine program and that Ucf didn't push professors for research dollars. That has changed and is why our research is growing at roughly the same rate as theirs as a %. With regard to patents we are usually pretty close and most years have been ahead. This year they were slightly ahead. Endowment they have been concentrating on while we haven't really established that well. Hats off but our endowment dollars are going up. In 2012 Ucf starting requiring profs to bring in grant or research money. That didn't happen before and is why why we are behind. We had the patents and research but took a partnership approach ie our robust research park. That has changed now. You certainly aren't light years ahead. Fwiw your ranking went down because your average class size went down as did your enrollment. Although we are more selective our student to prof ratio really hits us hard. That won't change for a while but we are starting to take the uf tact with regard to majors which should help us even more. 13 spots is not light years by any stretch.

2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Knightbengal - 05-05-2015 12:04 AM

That vodoo 5 was pretty heated and the old rivalry was a lot more heated. Although your ads tires were slashed at our last home game so I guess there is some fire left. Remember at the time you got picked by the beast over us, refused to play is, and tried to block our medical and subsequently dental school. #genshafted

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Cubanbull - 05-05-2015 05:15 AM

LOL
UCF myth #1 Genshaft blocked everything UCF wanted.

2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Knightbengal - 05-05-2015 07:00 AM

(05-05-2015 05:15 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  LOL

It's not a myth. Check out the state legislature minutes. I don't blame her but it's true. She also tried to say in 2011 that she didn't block us from entering the big east. That's not true. Even our legislature came out and said we needed to work together. In a sign of the times we are now working together on a direct connect medical school.

State senator Lee Constantine:

http://knightnews.com/2011/09/speaker-dean-cannon-says-usf-shouldnt-block-ucf-from-big-east/

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - USFRamenu - 05-05-2015 07:28 AM

(05-05-2015 07:00 AM)Knightbengal Wrote:  

It's not a myth. Check out the state legislature minutes. I don't blame her but it's true. She also tried to say in 2011 that she didn't block us from entering the big east. That's not true. Even our legislature came out and said we needed to work together. In a sign of the times we are now working together on a direct connect medical school.

http://knightnews.com/2011/09/speaker-dean-cannon-says-usf-shouldnt-block-ucf-from-big-east/

How can we take that article seriously? Man use an article written with truth not speculation. This is your schools newspaper claiming it's source as an article written by the Slantinal. 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

I'm open to facts but please stop propagating old myths. 05-nono

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Bull - 05-05-2015 07:45 AM

Hey KB... I respect you and I think you are a great poster. I really hesitate to debate you on this... but I almost feel obligated to correct a few misconceptions. But I'm not sure if it will have any effect. We had a whole army of UCF fans come onboard the various Big East boards expressing similar opinions, blaming the 'bogeyman' of USF for almost everything they perceived bad, and it ended up blowing up threads with no real benefit. But what the heck, here goes.

First on the myth 'USF refused to play us'. Understand that at that point, USF and UCF were not in the same conference. We had NEVER been in the same conference. Yet, we played a 4 year 4 game series. That's actually a good thing. Try and take the fact that USF won 4 out of the argument, because it's really irrelevant. In the Big East we had 4 or 5 OOC games each year. We were appropriately trying to get the UM, UF, FSU's of the world to play us. (You'd have done the same, right?) We scheduled an easy game for the home opener, which most schools do. Point is, with the remaining games you don't just play the same non-conference opponent forever, you spread it around a bit. Are the same OOC opponents supposed to play forever? My UCF friends used to tell me we were 'afraid' to play UCF, and I'd reply yeah, we were so afraid that we scheduled the cupcakes of FSU and UF. (all in good fun and over a beer) Did anyone officially connected to USF say we'd NEVER play again? I don't recall that. Be sure to not confuse message board nonsense with our official position. Heck, USF and UCF playing each other is a GOOD thing for BOTH schools. Good attendance boost for both. I actually think we'd have certainly played again if a few years had past, but we'll never know, because the Big East blew up.... and realignment followed.

On USF 'blocking' UCF to get anywhere. This has been debunked many times, but it's been awhile. Basically, USF couldn't 'block' UCF if they wanted to. If you look at the Big East structure, USF was 1 vote in an 18 member conference. USF might have politicd, argued, etc. (maybe) but that's not blocking. If all the other members wanted UCF in, it WOULD have happened. The reason UCF didn't get in the Big East is simple, the Big East was stupid and refused to expand. They made the same stupid mistake that the B12 is making now, they sat on a small membership to not subdivide the BCS $$$ any further. Idiotic. Then when it got desperate and they DID expand, they went with TCU and a BS invite to 'Nova. Well TCU got the nod over UCF for two reasons. 1, TCU had just won a BCS game, and 2, TCU opened up a huge new market in DallasFW. Orlando is a great market (believe me, I *love* Orlando), but it's an hour from Tampa. The conference already had a presence in the area. Of course, shortly thereafter the ESPN raids happened, and as it should have... the fraggled conference invited UCF, along with other schools to reconstitute. To be clear, I admit USF may have not PREFERRED to have a school added in their back yard. That's common though, I can give you dozens of examples. You think FSU really wants either of us in the ACC? But that's not blocking. There is simply no mechanism for a Big East single school to block the addition of anyone.

Every school who builds a stadium or has a good season thinks they 'deserve' to get into some bigger conference. And everytime someone is added there are many other schools arguing why the addition didn't 'deserve' it. Look, I freely admit USF may have been blessed as hell to get the Big East invite, but if you look at the situation AT THAT TIME, there are certainly reasons why USF, along with Lousville and Cinci, got in (right?) Big surprise, the Big East had-been-raided. See, that's when additions happen, after raids. History repeats. Demanding realignment before a raid happens is usually useless.

Now should it have been UCF instead of Nova? If you know the hybrid history of the Big East, you know what an awful problem it was, eventually splitting the conference. All the football members, WV and Pitt in particular, hated the joke of Nova moving from FCS to the Big East. Total idiocy. But that was done to appease the BB schools, which in hindsight was a stupid gesture. I don't think UCF instead of Nova would have saved the Big East though, WV, Pitt and CUse were going anyway... But UCF (or Houston, ECU, etc.) would have been a smarter addition.

Okay, sorry to ramble and I really hope I didnt' derail the thread. I know many in the younger UCF crowd won't believe what I'm saying. The 'blame USF' and 'hate USF" is just too engrained in the psyche. Doesn't matter now much though, we are where we are... Cheers!

2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Knightbengal - 05-05-2015 08:46 AM

(05-05-2015 07:28 AM)USFRamenu Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 07:00 AM)Knightbengal Wrote:  

How can we take that article seriously? Man use an article written with truth not speculation. This is your schools newspaper claiming it's source as an article written by the Slantinal. 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

I'm open to facts but please stop propagating old myths. 05-nono

The only reason I used it was because it referenced a direct quote regarding the medical school.

2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Knightbengal - 05-05-2015 09:11 AM

(05-05-2015 07:45 AM)Bull Wrote:  Hey KB... I respect you and I think you are a great poster. I really hesitate to debate you on this... but I almost feel obligated to correct a few misconceptions. But I'm not sure if it will have any effect. We had a whole army of UCF fans come onboard the various Big East boards expressing similar opinions, blaming the 'bogeyman' of USF for almost everything they perceived bad, and it ended up blowing up threads with no real benefit. But what the heck, here goes.

First on the myth 'USF refused to play us'. Understand that at that point, USF and UCF were not in the same conference. We had NEVER been in the same conference. Yet, we played a 4 year 4 game series. That's actually a good thing. Try and take the fact that USF won 4 out of the argument, because it's really irrelevant. In the Big East we had 4 or 5 OOC games each year. We were appropriately trying to get the UM, UF, FSU's of the world to play us. (You'd have done the same, right?) We scheduled an easy game for the home opener, which most schools do. Point is, with the remaining games you don't just play the same non-conference opponent forever, you spread it around a bit. Are the same OOC opponents supposed to play forever? My UCF friends used to tell me we were 'afraid' to play UCF, and I'd reply yeah, we were so afraid that we scheduled the cupcakes of FSU and UF. (all in good fun and over a beer) Did anyone officially connected to USF say we'd NEVER play again? I don't recall that. Be sure to not confuse message board nonsense with our official position. Heck, USF and UCF playing each other is a GOOD thing for BOTH schools. Good attendance boost for both. I actually think we'd have certainly played again if a few years had past, but we'll never know, because the Big East blew up.... and realignment followed.

On USF 'blocking' UCF to get anywhere. This has been debunked many times, but it's been awhile. Basically, USF couldn't 'block' UCF if they wanted to. If you look at the Big East structure, USF was 1 vote in an 18 member conference. USF might have politicd, argued, etc. (maybe) but that's not blocking. If all the other members wanted UCF in, it WOULD have happened. The reason UCF didn't get in the Big East is simple, the Big East was stupid and refused to expand. They made the same stupid mistake that the B12 is making now, they sat on a small membership to not subdivide the BCS $$$ any further. Idiotic. Then when it got desperate and they DID expand, they went with TCU and a BS invite to 'Nova. Well TCU got the nod over UCF for two reasons. 1, TCU had just won a BCS game, and 2, TCU opened up a huge new market in DallasFW. Orlando is a great market (believe me, I *love* Orlando), but it's an hour from Tampa. The conference already had a presence in the area. Of course, shortly thereafter the ESPN raids happened, and as it should have... the fraggled conference invited UCF, along with other schools to reconstitute. To be clear, I admit USF may have not PREFERRED to have a school added in their back yard. That's common though, I can give you dozens of examples. You think FSU really wants either of us in the ACC? But that's not blocking. There is simply no mechanism for a Big East single school to block the addition of anyone.

Every school who builds a stadium or has a good season thinks they 'deserve' to get into some bigger conference. And everytime someone is added there are many other schools arguing why the addition didn't 'deserve' it. Look, I freely admit USF may have been blessed as hell to get the Big East invite, but if you look at the situation AT THAT TIME, there are certainly reasons why USF, along with Lousville and Cinci, got in (right?) Big surprise, the Big East had-been-raided. See, that's when additions happen, after raids. History repeats. Demanding realignment before a raid happens is usually useless.

Now should it have been UCF instead of Nova? If you know the hybrid history of the Big East, you know what an awful problem it was, eventually splitting the conference. All the football members, WV and Pitt in particular, hated the joke of Nova moving from FCS to the Big East. Total idiocy. But that was done to appease the BB schools, which in hindsight was a stupid gesture. I don't think UCF instead of Nova would have saved the Big East though, WV, Pitt and CUse were going anyway... But UCF (or Houston, ECU, etc.) would have been a smarter addition.

Okay, sorry to ramble and I really hope I didnt' derail the thread. I know many in the younger UCF crowd won't believe what I'm saying. The 'blame USF' and 'hate USF" is just too engrained in the psyche. Doesn't matter now much though, we are where we are... Cheers!

Hey Bull

Thanks for the kind words and very detailed post. In my original post I mentioned that I don't blame usf for any actions that it took although I think hindsight will show that we are better when we support eachother. We are in two of the largest economic and population centers in the state. I certainly think that we mutual interests and benefit when we both work together academically and athletically.
With regard to football I don't disagree either. The article I referenced was because it was a quick google search that highlighted the quote of a state senator. At the time other political figures had come out and said that there was hard lobbying at the legislature to squash both the medical and dental schools. Quite frankly I am at work and don't have time to look for more examples. With regard to the slantinel they have never been kind to Ucf until we moved up to the beast/AAC.
You are correct in stating that usf alone could not block our entry although I think Judy was in an influential position within the conf at the time. I do know that she lobbied hard against us until the end. I also know that a conf would look at a more palatable option if a member is dead set against inclusion. Again, this is where it all came from
During the previous games there were several incidences of bad behavior on both sides that caused the issues between the fanbases. Anyway the negative behavior didn't help the rivalry because many folks of the opposing fanbase wouldn't travel as they were afraid of the experience. That doesn't help either of us. Lord knows I didn't take my 8 year old for last years game because of the experiences I have had in the past. It wasn't bad though and I don't think the usf fans at our game in 2013 felt intimidated. I tailgated all day and most were welcomed although some did get some gentle ribbing.
Again I am sure Judy was acting on behalf of her university in lobbying against us. That's her job but it didn't endear her to #Knightnation. You always play us tough and I will be there on Black Friday. Btw again thank you for the kind words. They are appreciated. As in business I think our schools will benefit from concentrating on synergies and mutual interests.

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - Bull - 05-05-2015 09:35 AM

Good words, KB. I know you and I are on the same page in thinking the American can actually be built into a great conference. We may be 'tweener', but left intact, I honestly believe we'll get enough $$$ to complete with the big boys, keep putting guys in the NFL (helps recruiting), and even eventually have a path to the playoffs. USF has to clean up it's own current mess, but we're working on it. I hope.

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - mtmedlin - 05-05-2015 02:04 PM

(05-04-2015 10:11 PM)zfred12 Wrote:  

US News is one that has us ranked ahead... but thats why I threw in metrics that CANNOT be argued like research dollars, patents, endowment, fundrasing... all are signs of academic prowess. Simple fact is that USF is ahead of UCF in acadmics. There is absolutely no arguing it because the facts speak for themselves.

In sports, youve had two better years than us but we still lead the series. Enjoy your temporary success and pray you can hang on, cause your old man at the top isnt going to be around for much longer and well all see how well UCF adjusts.

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - St. H. Gink - 05-05-2015 09:05 PM

USF is older. Simple as that.

Not surprising that USF is ahead in metrics that typically favor older institutions. Not to mention the huge majority of USF's research dollars come thanks in part to their medical school and cancer center, which they've had in place even longer than schools like FSU. To suggest that this equates to academic prowess is both naive and misleading. Remember, just a few years ago, the same ranking source you are now touting considered USF a Tier 3 university. Unfortunately, USF still has one of the worst 4 and 6-year graduation rates of any university in Florida (UCF is 3rd behind UF and FSU) and also does a terrible job of recruiting National Merit Scholars (USF is near the bottom of the state in NMS while UCF is 2nd behind UF). Also, UCF has consistently been ranked in the world's Top 25 in both patent research and the strength and commerciability of its patents.

Point is, while beating out other schools for research dollars can be seen as impressive, there's still a lot of work to be done to be considered an academic powerhouse.

07-coffee3

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - mtmedlin - 05-08-2015 04:10 PM

(05-05-2015 09:05 PM)St. H. Gink Wrote:  USF is older. Simple as that.

Not surprising that USF is ahead in metrics that typically favor older institutions. Not to mention the huge majority of USF's research dollars come thanks in part to their medical school and cancer center, which they've had in place even longer than schools like FSU. To suggest that this equates to academic prowess is both naive and misleading. Remember, just a few years ago, the same ranking source you are now touting considered USF a Tier 3 university. Unfortunately, USF still has one of the worst 4 and 6-year graduation rates of any university in Florida (UCF is 3rd behind UF and FSU) and also does a terrible job of recruiting National Merit Scholars (USF is near the bottom of the state in NMS while UCF is 2nd behind UF). Also, UCF has consistently been ranked in the world's Top 25 in both patent research and the strength and commerciability of its patents.

Point is, while beating out other schools for research dollars can be seen as impressive, there's still a lot of work to be done to be considered an academic powerhouse.

07-coffee3

Were 7 years older.... 7! Funny how the argument of how long we have been around changes when I bring up that your football program is 18 years older than us... but I digress.

So your top 25 in patents... good job. Call me when your top 10. 4-6 graduates rates have actually skyrocketed. You may want to check your numbers. UCFs is higher because your administration was able to push through more funding for on campus housing. Were about to double ours, so that will be just another metric we will beat you on.

Simple fact is, UCF grads like to brag but in academics, we have you....but its all because of our massive 7 year head start. 01-wingedeagle

RE: 2014-2015 War on I-4 Thread - Part Deux! - NestaKnight1 - 05-08-2015 05:25 PM

(05-08-2015 04:10 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 09:05 PM)St. H. Gink Wrote:  USF is older. Simple as that.

07-coffee3

Were 7 years older.... 7! Funny how the argument of how long we have been around changes when I bring up that your football program is 18 years older than us... but I digress.

So your top 25 in patents... good job. Call me when your top 10. 4-6 graduates rates have actually skyrocketed. You may want to check your numbers. UCFs is higher because your administration was able to push through more funding for on campus housing. Were about to double ours, so that will be just another metric we will beat you on.

Simple fact is, UCF grads like to brag but in academics, we have you....but its all because of our massive 7 year head start. 01-wingedeagle
I haven't seen a lot of UCF grads pounding their chests over academic prowess, however, conference championships in football, bcs bowl wins, and top 25 rankings, thats another story. Enjoy your series advantage while you can. Incidentally I believe the former poster was comparing the age of the Medical schools, not the institutions themselves. How old is USF's Medical school compared to UCF's? I ask because I really don't know, but I believe that plays heavily into academic rankings. Your thoughts?