CSNbbs
Reading to children at bedtime - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Reading to children at bedtime (/thread-736800.html)

Pages: 1 2

Reading to children at bedtime - BEARCATDALE - 05-06-2015 06:01 PM

A story from Australia. I don't know if it aired here in America or not. Given the discussions over 'privilege' on this board, I thought I'd share.

ABC questions value of time-honoured practice

From the article:
Quote:“Should parents snuggling up for one last story before lights out be even a little concerned about the advantage they might be conferring?”

Gelonesi responded online: “This devilish twist of evidence surely leads to a further conclusion that perhaps — in the interests of levelling the playing field — bedtime stories should also be restricted.”

Can't believe that someone would want to restrict reading to a child.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - EverRespect - 05-06-2015 06:10 PM

Yes, I heard this story on the radio yesterday.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - Kaplony - 05-06-2015 06:13 PM

(05-06-2015 06:01 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  Can't believe that someone would want to restrict reading to a child.

I can. Leftists are all about pulling everybody down to the same level rather than having those that are willing to put forth the effort lifting themselves up.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - Smaug - 05-06-2015 07:45 PM

Sorry. I'm just mesmerized by your avatar.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - stinkfist - 05-06-2015 07:54 PM

(05-06-2015 07:45 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Sorry. I'm just mesmerized by your avatar.

like everything else....it's embellished (yet spankable) 03-wink

Reading to children at bedtime - chargeradio - 05-06-2015 09:04 PM

(05-06-2015 06:13 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 06:01 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  Can't believe that someone would want to restrict reading to a child.

I can. Leftists are all about pulling everybody down to the same level rather than having those that are willing to put forth the effort lifting themselves up.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength. George Orwell was just a few decades early.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - QuestionSocratic - 05-06-2015 09:42 PM

At first I figured this was from The Onion or some other ultra sarcastic source but after linking to the original source, I found it was for real. In that article, we find this nugget

Quote:‘One way philosophers might think about solving the social justice problem would be by simply abolishing the family. If the family is this source of unfairness in society then it looks plausible to think that if we abolished the family there would be a more level playing field.’

Gee, I think I might have heard this already

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - Bull_In_Exile - 05-06-2015 10:28 PM

"It Takes a village" - Hillary
"we have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents, or kids belong to their families, and recognize that kids belong to whole communities" - Melissa Harris-Perry

You simply can not make "the community" the focus of your society without minimizing the importance of the family. While many on the left may honestly not believe that we should minimize the family to make "all animals equal" they are the useful idiots used to advance such an agenda.

When it gets here in full force they will clap like seals for social justice.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - CardFan1 - 05-07-2015 05:24 AM

I can see Fit now reading to His Kids,

"And Obama came riding in on His Shiny White Horse and with One swipe of His Magic Wand, Forever wiped out Those Evil Republicans Once and for all "

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - EverRespect - 05-07-2015 05:27 AM

(05-06-2015 10:28 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  "It Takes a village" - Hillary
"we have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents, or kids belong to their families, and recognize that kids belong to whole communities" - Melissa Harris-Perry

You simply can not make "the community" the focus of your society without minimizing the importance of the family. While many on the left may honestly not believe that we should minimize the family to make "all animals equal" they are the useful idiots used to advance such an agenda.

When it gets here in full force they will clap like seals for social justice.
This thread parallels the pussification thread perfectly.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - gdunn - 05-07-2015 05:31 AM

Yep. Ain't no politician going to tell me how I should raise my children.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - EverRespect - 05-07-2015 07:16 AM

The only positive is that perhaps the suburban soccer moms and their beta orbiters will heed this advice and guarantee my kids a spot in the top 1%. The way I see it is that they are already guaranteed a spot in the top 10% just by being in a traditional family with no mental or emotional problems.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - VA49er - 05-07-2015 07:21 AM

Next thing we'll hear is a proposal to ban breakfast for all kids in order to "level the playing field" with kids that don't always get a breakfast.

Honestly, what person in their right mind would suggest NOT reading to a child? That is asinine.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - stinkfist - 05-07-2015 07:21 AM

(05-07-2015 05:31 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Yep. Ain't no politician going to tell me how I should raise my children.

dadgum right!

and they're not going to tell me how to eat, live, and breathe either....

that's not their job....at least it's not supposed to be from my vantage....

if it was, I would've moved to the communist nations moons ago....

hence, my hope that costa rica is still a viable option in 15 yrs......

I'm a firm believer that all people are NOT created equal.....and if I can figure out how to make dime within the structured confines of this country's 'laws o'day'????.....then fk the rest of 'em....and fk the gubberment too....

that's what I do....

collectively, humans are nothing but dogs that have more than a 'bark'....yet, it's still a form of 'survival o' fittest'

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - shiftyeagle - 05-07-2015 08:14 AM

Leave no privilege unchecked, shitlords.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - TheEagleWay - 05-07-2015 08:38 AM

Ha..... good luck stopping me.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - Fitbud - 05-07-2015 09:37 AM

Beware of the bedtime story police.03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - blunderbuss - 05-07-2015 09:41 AM

Almost every night we read a story to my son in La-Z-Boy chair in his room. Hearing him say "Dada... book? book?" warms my heart. He's getting old enough to where he can even pick one out of the stack on the nightstand. I don't get to spend as much time with him as my wife does to I cherish that time of the day more than anything now.

...and yes, I hope this does give him an advantage. If they can provide it, what parent wouldn't want that for their child?

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - shiftyeagle - 05-07-2015 09:43 AM

(05-07-2015 09:41 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Almost every night we read a story to my son in La-Z-Boy chair in his room. Hearing him say "Dada... book? book?" warms my heart. He's getting old enough to where he can even pick one out of the stack on the nightstand. I don't get to spend as much time with him as my wife does to I cherish that time of the day more than anything now.

...and yes, I hope this does give him an advantage. If they can provide it, what parent wouldn't want that for their child?

Check your white privilege before spouting such offensive nonsense.

RE: Reading to children at bedtime - stinkfist - 05-07-2015 09:48 AM

(05-07-2015 09:41 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Almost every night we read a story to my son in La-Z-Boy chair in his room. Hearing him say "Dada... book? book?" warms my heart. He's getting old enough to where he can even pick one out of the stack on the nightstand. I don't get to spend as much time with him as my wife does to I cherish that time of the day more than anything now.

that is soooooooo impressively important! that's how you teach and learn the 'before and later'!

kudos and cheers to that (no beer hug there....just cheers to you)