CSNbbs
3 Reasons Why UAB Erred in Dropping Sports, According to OSKR - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: 3 Reasons Why UAB Erred in Dropping Sports, According to OSKR (/thread-735555.html)

3 Reasons Why UAB Erred in Dropping Sports, According to OSKR - hooverblazer - 04-23-2015 02:44 PM

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/3_key_points_from_oskrs_report.html

RE: 3 Reasons Why UAB Erred in Dropping Sports, According to OSKR - WesternBlazer - 04-23-2015 02:53 PM

A study conducted by Rascher and professor Michael Hutchinson evaluated 21 universities -- Wichita State, St. John's and Boston University are three notable ones -- which dropped football at some point from 1985 to 2010. The study asked four key questions about the school after dropping football:

1) Did the men's basketball program improve?

2) Did the school's U.S. News & World Report ranking improve?

3) Did the SAT scores for incoming freshmen improve?

4) Did the school's enrollment improve?

The answer was no to all four questions.

RE: 3 Reasons Why UAB Erred in Dropping Sports, According to OSKR - panama - 04-23-2015 02:53 PM

Last paragraph = wow

RE: 3 Reasons Why UAB Erred in Dropping Sports, According to OSKR - Native Georgian - 04-23-2015 02:54 PM

(04-23-2015 02:44 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/3_key_points_from_oskrs_report.html

Ominous:
"UAB should expect to pay more in travel if it joins the Missouri Valley Conference, the most likely landing spot, or elsewhere."

RE: 3 Reasons Why UAB Erred in Dropping Sports, According to OSKR - BamaScorpio69 - 04-23-2015 03:25 PM

(04-23-2015 02:54 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(04-23-2015 02:44 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/3_key_points_from_oskrs_report.html

Ominous:
"UAB should expect to pay more in travel if it joins the Missouri Valley Conference, the most likely landing spot, or elsewhere."

I don't think the MVC is where UAB will land. But that's just my opinion.

RE: 3 Reasons Why UAB Erred in Dropping Sports, According to OSKR - ATTALLABLAZE - 04-23-2015 03:41 PM

Let's hope we stay right where we are.

RE: 3 Reasons Why UAB Erred in Dropping Sports, According to OSKR - UABGrad - 04-23-2015 03:49 PM

(04-23-2015 03:41 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Let's hope we stay right where we are.

+1

RE: 3 Reasons Why UAB Erred in Dropping Sports, According to OSKR - BandGrad - 04-23-2015 04:00 PM

I still don't understand how Ray Watts is still employed other than he did exactly what someone in higher authority told him to do. They tried to cover it up and now the truth has come out. Why can we not get a federal investigation into the Alabama System Board of Trustees?

RE: 3 Reasons Why UAB Erred in Dropping Sports, According to OSKR - CajunBlazer - 04-23-2015 05:48 PM

(04-23-2015 04:00 PM)BandGrad Wrote:  I still don't understand how Ray Watts is still employed other than he did exactly what someone in higher authority told him to do. They tried to cover it up and now the truth has come out. Why can we not get a federal investigation into the Alabama System Board of Trustees?

It's pretty simple really. The BOT will keep Watts for now as long as he is useful as a lighting rod who will deflect some of the anger away from them. Then, when he is no longer useful, they will wad him up and toss him out like a used Kleenex tissue, with a suitable NDA or course.

And no, there won't be a federal investigation anytime soon unless Little Bear really screws up when running one of his numerous shady business deals.

RE: 3 Reasons Why UAB Erred in Dropping Sports, According to OSKR - Hopeful - 04-23-2015 06:08 PM

I believe it's either the above, or that he has some kind of leverage that no one else knows about. Sure, it's no fun being universally hated and being reduced to shield, but I guess that salary makes it all worth it for him.

To get on topic, that's a pretty strong piece. The end of it, in particular, was pretty eye catching.