CSNbbs
Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle (/thread-735515.html)

Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - ATTALLABLAZE - 04-23-2015 11:07 AM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25160428/study-uab-was-ill-advised-to-cut-football-bowling-rifle

Facebook and retweet!!!!

Quote:The University of Alabama at Birmingham's decision to end football, bowling and rifle was “ill advised from a net cash-flow perspective,” according to a study released Thursday by a consulting firm fired by UAB last month to perform this task.

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - ATTALLABLAZE - 04-23-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:In another twist to the saga surrounding the first major college football program cut in two decades, anonymous UAB football boosters paid $20,000 to help California-based consultant OSKR complete its study. UAB, which has another consultant currently working on a study, now has a 156-page report from OSKR's Daniel Rascher and Andy Schwarz in the public domain that may serve as another voice in the contentious debate.

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - ATTALLABLAZE - 04-23-2015 11:43 AM

ESPN
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12748159/uab-blazers-dropped-financial-reasons-made-money-study-finds

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - TNBLAZERS - 04-23-2015 11:57 AM

Cha-Ching!
Get the feathers and tar ready for Ray!

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - BlazerFire - 04-23-2015 12:03 PM

Hey Ray....

Put that in your damn pipe and smoke it.

And pay your damn invoice to these guys!

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - CajunBlazer - 04-23-2015 12:14 PM

I told you guys that good news was coming! For those of you who quizzed me privately about what I knew as going on behind the scenes, this is one big element of what I have been expecting for some time. Be Patient, more good news is coming.

About this development, one of the things that was important is that this report from nationally recognized leader in sports economics came out before the one that CSS is working on. CSS will now be aware of the content of this OSKR report so they are much less likely to try to leave out or minimize positive factors and over emphasis negative factors. This is certain member's of the Task's Force's way of keeping CSS honest.

And as a couple of you are aware, I have been in communications with Andy Schwartz since he wrote his first two articles.

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - Matrix - 04-30-2015 11:29 PM

Those of you who can , please be at Bartow Arena on May 7 at 5:30...It's put up or shut up time!

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - Matrix - 04-30-2015 11:31 PM

And why in the hell is Ray Watts still President of UAB after this?!

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - rook360 - 05-01-2015 08:14 AM

It makes his "No boosters came forward" remark more unbelieveable.

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - 58-56 - 05-01-2015 08:42 AM

(04-30-2015 11:31 PM)Matrix Wrote:  And why in the hell is Ray Watts still President of UAB after this?!

I hear this question almost every day, but the stunning part is that it's always for a different "this." He's done at least as terrible a job, and possibly worse, handling non-athletic matters.

Ray Watts has set a new standard for bumbling incompetence.

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - KevMo4UAB - 05-01-2015 02:02 PM

I tell people Ray Watts is still president of UAB because the Bryant Bank-UA BOT doesn't give a sh$t about UAB.

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - TheGORILLA - 05-03-2015 07:19 AM

Bryant and his board of Trustees just approved spending EIGHTY EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS in REFINANCING FEES to temporarily satisfy their EIGHT HUNDRED AND EIGHTY MILLION DOLLAR DEBT that Tuscaloosa campus OWES to financial institutions. Tuscaloosa's athletic department alone owes TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS. Go figure!

It's all about THEM.

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - 58-56 - 05-03-2015 08:27 AM

(05-03-2015 07:19 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  Tuscaloosa campus OWES to financial institutions.

I really, really want to see some actual breakdown on just which financial institutions have handled this debt, and their connections to Bryant Bank.

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - Hopeful - 05-03-2015 09:32 AM

(05-03-2015 07:19 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  Bryant and his board of Trustees just approved spending EIGHTY EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS in REFINANCING FEES to temporarily satisfy their EIGHT HUNDRED AND EIGHTY MILLION DOLLAR DEBT that Tuscaloosa campus OWES to financial institutions. Tuscaloosa's athletic department alone owes TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS. Go figure!

It's all about THEM.

Any link or anything?

Not saying I don't believe you, just want to read more about this.

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - TheGORILLA - 05-03-2015 10:06 AM

(05-03-2015 09:32 AM)Hopeful Wrote:  
(05-03-2015 07:19 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  Bryant and his board of Trustees just approved spending EIGHTY EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS in REFINANCING FEES to temporarily satisfy their EIGHT HUNDRED AND EIGHTY MILLION DOLLAR DEBT that Tuscaloosa campus OWES to financial institutions. Tuscaloosa's athletic department alone owes TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS. Go figure!

It's all about THEM.

Any link or anything?

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20140403/NEWS/140409857?p=2&tc=pg

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 05-04-2015 06:48 PM

Reading that article reminds me of what happened when Jeffco Sewer Bonds were similarly refinanced for the same reasons. Who do you suppose "feathered a BOT member's nest" to get those deals? Just like with Jeffco bonds, everything will go smoothly IF the economy doesn't "tank" like it did in 2008. I'll also bet no one on the BOT could be bought for just $75,000 in clothes and jewelry.

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - blazerjay - 05-05-2015 11:35 AM

(05-03-2015 10:06 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  

It's all about THEM.

Any link or anything?

That article is 13 months old...

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - BlazrDawg - 05-05-2015 01:41 PM

(05-05-2015 11:35 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(05-03-2015 10:06 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  

It's all about THEM.

Any link or anything?

That article is 13 months old...

Yeah, I noticed that the article quoted PBJr , Pres Pro Tem,,,,, and that didnt make any sense since he is supposed to be retired/retiring,or whatever and his Bank Board member, Ms Brooks, is now in charge of the BOT.

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - blzrclub80 - 05-06-2015 02:36 PM

Bond refinancing is a common practice in large institutions. More favorable rates allowed them to save $3 million over the life of the debt. Sexton noted in this article (2014) they were inching closer to the $1 Billion level and had to be careful. Doesn't sound like they have since they appear to have spent about $200 million since this article was written!

RE: Study: UAB was 'ill-advised' to cut football, bowling, rifle - BornAJacket - 05-15-2015 02:06 PM

Hopefully this will help resore what was stolen from the university