CSNbbs
Since many here overuse and misuse the term "troll," here is a study on "trolling" - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Charles Harris Memorial People's Forum (/forum-511.html)
+------ Thread: Since many here overuse and misuse the term "troll," here is a study on "trolling" (/thread-735299.html)

Since many here overuse and misuse the term "troll," here is a study on "trolling" - tiger2000 - 04-21-2015 09:21 AM

And no, a troll is not someone with an opinion that differs from yours or someone who uses sarcasm like some here believe.

Look for message boards to have minority-report style autobanning if this algorithm works...

http://time.com/3827683/internet-troll-research/?xid=IFT-Trending

But one thing in particular helped these odious Internet users stand out from their mild-mannered counterparts. “They receive more replies than average users,” says the paper, “suggesting that they might be successful in luring others into fruitless, time-consuming discussions.”

To create the algorithm, the researchers looked at all 1.7 million users surveyed and split them into two groups: future-banned users (FBUs) and never-banned-users (NBUs). Assuming the FBUs were all trolls, they then monitored their behavior from when they signed up to when they got shut out. Some clear differences emerged between the trolls and the NBUs: FBUs wrote differently than everyone else, often going off-topic, scribbling posts that were more difficult to read, and saying more negative things. In addition, trolls made more comments per day, and posted more times on each thread. They often had the most posts in a particular thread, and made more replies to other comments.

RE: Since many here overuse and misuse the term "troll," here is a study on ... - snowtiger - 04-21-2015 10:19 AM

Interesting study. So they want to install robomods?

Mostly, I go by feel of the personality and smell.
A troll by any name would smell as rank. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Pure trolls should not bother us. They have no real team affiliation and, generally speaking, are loners. But I did come upon a nest of them on 247.

One lil troll came calling on Roar, spouting party line gibberish to rile us up...so I followed his posts back and back and back..... until I found a thread of approx 10 fellerboys. They were all registered under different team names but were actually planning what boards to troll for 2015.
Somehow, they had found each other. It was heart warming.
These were real trolls who trolled 'homeboarders' for a living.

Trolling seems to be different--like when our posters went to the GW site before the NCAA tournament and trolled the heck outta them. Someone dropped a link on Roar at the time and I followed. It was my first introduction to the personalities on this site. lol. I was stunned but have since recovered.

In conclusion, banning should not follow some preset algorithm...imo.
Besides, fighting trolls builds muscles.

RE: Since many here overuse and misuse the term "troll," here is a study on ... - FruitJar - 04-21-2015 01:26 PM

(04-21-2015 10:19 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  Interesting study. So they want to install robomods?

Mostly, I go by feel of the personality and smell.
A troll by any name would smell as rank. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Pure trolls should not bother us. They have no real team affiliation and, generally speaking, are loners. But I did come upon a nest of them on 247.

One lil troll came calling on Roar, spouting party line gibberish to rile us up...so I followed his posts back and back and back..... until I found a thread of approx 10 fellerboys. They were all registered under different team names but were actually planning what boards to troll for 2015.
Somehow, they had found each other. It was heart warming.
These were real trolls who trolled 'homeboarders' for a living.

Trolling seems to be different--like when our posters went to the GW site before the NCAA tournament and trolled the heck outta them. Someone dropped a link on Roar at the time and I followed. It was my first introduction to the personalities on this site. lol. I was stunned but have since recovered.

In conclusion, banning should not follow some preset algorithm...imo.
Besides, fighting trolls builds muscles.

Yeah, that jabberblabber feller is one weird cat.

RE: Since many here overuse and misuse the term "troll," here is a study on ... - snowtiger - 04-21-2015 09:00 PM

Hah. Can't fault a feller for being high on Blue M&Ms and wearing blue suede shoes. How a feller drinks his liquor might be another story.

#goweirdcatgo

RE: Since many here overuse and misuse the term "troll," here is a study on ... - Brother Bluto - 04-30-2015 10:32 AM

(04-21-2015 09:00 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  Hah. Can't fault a feller for being high on Blue M&Ms and wearing blue suede shoes. How a feller drinks his liquor might be another story.

#goweirdcatgo

So you have multiple personalities on Roar too?

RE: Since many here overuse and misuse the term "troll," here is a study on ... - snowtiger - 04-30-2015 10:46 AM

(04-30-2015 10:32 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  
(04-21-2015 09:00 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  Hah. Can't fault a feller for being high on Blue M&Ms and wearing blue suede shoes. How a feller drinks his liquor might be another story.

#goweirdcatgo

Dayum busted again. Over there I can really fill up a page.... Deltaslim, Roamintiger, Blue1983, Tiger78, Tiger87, Mr Tiggs, Stcoccajay and Klou. For special occasions, I bring out Tiganiga.

Come join us, Brother. Don't be skeert.

RE: Since many here overuse and misuse the term "troll," here is a study on ... - TigerBill - 04-30-2015 07:17 PM

(04-30-2015 10:46 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  
(04-30-2015 10:32 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

#goweirdcatgo

Dayum busted again. Over there I can really fill up a page.... Deltaslim, Roamintiger, Blue1983, Tiger78, Tiger87, Mr Tiggs, Stcoccajay and Klou. For special occasions, I bring out Tiganiga.

Come join us, Brother. Don't be skeert.

03-lmfao You couldn't pay for this, you really couldn't.