CSNbbs
ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB (/thread-735226.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - emu steve - 04-20-2015 01:08 PM

how do you say: Ouch!!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/67041/shannon-evans

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/shannon-evans

(Okay, didn't make CNN Breaking News).

This was the first Tweet, per the UB unofficial site:

https://twitter.com/J_Snyder613/status/590197848089624576

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - EagleSam - 04-20-2015 01:11 PM

Buffalo is also blocking him from transferring to Arizona State, VCU, and Old Dominion (he's from Virginia). Classy.

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - perimeterpost - 04-20-2015 01:19 PM

not the first time he decommitted to Buffalo because of a coaching change.

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2013/3/19/4126168/shannon-evans-decommits-from-ub

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - emu steve - 04-20-2015 01:23 PM

(04-20-2015 01:19 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  not the first time he decommitted to Buffalo because of a coaching change.

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2013/3/19/4126168/shannon-evans-decommits-from-ub

Well maybe he'll do like Tillman (VCU) who said he was transferring and then re-committed less than a week later...

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - GoBullsGo - 04-20-2015 01:57 PM

Moss gets the attention and the POTY voting, but I honestly think Evans is our best player / MVP / leader. This loss would hurt big time.

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - zrb2 - 04-20-2015 02:20 PM

He wants to play at a "higher level". Any other nonsense about the AD not approaching him is BS. Hurley left, now Evans wants to leave...end of story. It's his decision. Attempting to blame this on UB is absurd. I have no problem if UB blocks him from certain schools and the MAC. There are plenty of higher level teams that would happily bring him on.

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - OUVan - 04-20-2015 02:32 PM

(04-20-2015 02:20 PM)zrb2 Wrote:  He wants to play at a "higher level". Any other nonsense about the AD not approaching him is BS. Hurley left, now Evans wants to leave...end of story. It's his decision. Attempting to blame this on UB is absurd. I have no problem if UB blocks him from certain schools and the MAC. There are plenty of higher level teams that would happily bring him on.

I understand the MAC schools and ASU but why block him from VCU and/or ODU?

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - GoBullsGo - 04-20-2015 02:37 PM

(04-20-2015 02:32 PM)OUVan Wrote:  
(04-20-2015 02:20 PM)zrb2 Wrote:  He wants to play at a "higher level". Any other nonsense about the AD not approaching him is BS. Hurley left, now Evans wants to leave...end of story. It's his decision. Attempting to blame this on UB is absurd. I have no problem if UB blocks him from certain schools and the MAC. There are plenty of higher level teams that would happily bring him on.

Agreed. That just seems petty.

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - EagleSam - 04-20-2015 02:43 PM

Blocking him from going to schools that are close to his home is what's absurd. I hate when colleges do that, and I would absolutely call out EMU if they did the same thing to a transfer. Let them go wherever they want.

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - perimeterpost - 04-20-2015 02:44 PM

it sounds to me like he's taking a page out of the Hurley playbook and smearing the AD to make himself look like the good guy. I'm not buying it, in either case.

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - OUVan - 04-20-2015 03:05 PM

(04-20-2015 02:43 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Blocking him from going to schools that are close to his home is what's absurd. I hate when colleges do that, and I would absolutely call out EMU if they did the same thing to a transfer. Let them go wherever they want.

The only thing I can think of is if they think there might have been active recruiting going on to get him to transfer but that's jure pure speculation on my part. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - perimeterpost - 04-20-2015 03:20 PM

kid was a 2 star recruit with an offer from UB and a hand full of low-majors and now he wants to transfer to a high major because he thinks he's got a shot at the NBA? smh.

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - Steve1981 - 04-20-2015 03:43 PM

[Image: alp.jpg]

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - EagleSam - 04-20-2015 03:57 PM

(04-20-2015 03:20 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  kid was a 2 star recruit with an offer from UB and a hand full of low-majors and now he wants to transfer to a high major because he thinks he's got a shot at the NBA? smh.

I think we all know that recruiting services aren't always accurate with their ratings. Delon Wright was a 2* out of high school and is about to be a first round draft pick. That Damian Lillard guy turned out ok as well.

Not saying Evans is going to play in the NBA, but he certainly looks like a high major basketball player. And he is wayyyyy better than the 2* rating he was saddled with.

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - BullBoy - 04-20-2015 05:23 PM

It sounds like UB is playing both ODU and VCU next year and usually schools don't allow guys to transfer to schools on their schedule. Just what I read in the Buffalo News

ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - axeme - 04-20-2015 05:30 PM

(04-20-2015 05:23 PM)BullBoy Wrote:  

It sounds like UB is playing both ODU and VCU next year and usually schools don't allow guys to transfer to schools on their schedule. Just what I read in the Buffalo News

Why wouldn't he sit out a year if he transfers?

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - EagleSam - 04-20-2015 05:36 PM

(04-20-2015 05:30 PM)axeme Wrote:  

He has to sit out a year no matter where he goes. Even if his reason was to be close to home for an ill family member, the NCAA got rid of hardship waivers.

So unless Buffalo has both of the aforementioned Virginia schools on schedule for 2016/2017, then it doesn't make sense. Not that it would make sense to block a kid from playing at a good school right in his own backyard anyway.

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - emu steve - 04-20-2015 05:46 PM

(04-20-2015 05:36 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(04-20-2015 05:30 PM)axeme Wrote:  

He has to sit out a year no matter where he goes. Even if his reason was to be close to home for an ill family member, the NCAA got rid of hardship waivers.

So unless Buffalo has both of the aforementioned Virginia schools on schedule for 2016/2017, then it doesn't make sense. Not that it would make sense to block a kid from playing at a good school right in his own backyard anyway.

I didn't know that the hardship waivers are gone, but it MAKES SENSE.

If a player moves close to be home to be with say a parent dying of cancer isn't being a student and concerned son/daughter enough?

I think a redshirt year is an excellent way to free the student/athlete from some athletic requirements and allow him/her a chance to attend to academics and family.

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - perimeterpost - 04-20-2015 06:30 PM

When Groce left for Illinois Caris LeVert pulled out of his LOI with Ohio because he was expecting Groce to call him and bring him to Ill., but he never got the call. Speculation is that Groce didn't want to be seen as poaching the place that gave him his break.

Hurley could end all of this by saying he won't take any UB transfers, but based on Evan's words and actions it sounds like he's still being coached by BH. If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised to see others jump once they see how this plays out. Evans is gone, ADDW needs to stop the bleeding and stand firm on not granting releases for transfer to ASU.

RE: ESPN/CNN Breaking News: Shannon Evans Leaving UB - NickleCity - 04-21-2015 05:58 AM

If Hurly plans to win at ASU with Buffalo talent, he will be coaching at Liberty next to Turner Gill soon.