CSNbbs
Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis (/thread-735174.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - Nobody4Prez - 04-19-2015 10:26 PM

I will say up front that I wanted Pastner gone after this season. I fought many a battle over this subject the last few months

I have now come to realize that the higher ups see something that me the grad/long time financial supporter do not see.

I am accepting and hoping I and many others were/are wrong in out assessment.

What I can say is that the $$$ was there to let him go. It was not about hit contract. It was that the top basketball minds feel JP is still the star we all hoped for.

With that I will say that I trust the higher ups and I take back every opinion I had.

I am a Memphis Tiger and if the our top officials believe then I am going to believe.

From here on I am vowing only to give Coach my 150% support.

I encourage all Tiger fans to join in and lets turn this around for the the U.

Coach P can do amazing things. What we should be hopeful if is that he now has legit experience running a major D1 program. He should now have the time under his belt to choose his battles and make better decisions.

I for one am burying my hatchet. I support the decision makers at UM and am back on board 150%.

Let's take our support to the Next Level and get Memphis back where we belong.

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - TigerBill - 04-19-2015 10:29 PM

Are you back to writing him in for President?

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - Tiger Greg - 04-19-2015 10:34 PM

I wouldn't go that far, but 99% is plenty.

I still think he's going going to bare his claws and fangs this season and a lot of naysayers will turn white with shock.

If it doesn't happen, then we'll just be back to square one, searching for another interim coach.

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - presskh - 04-19-2015 10:42 PM

Agree. I have had my doubts about Pastner and have been pretty negative about him myself. However, the old season is over and a new one has begun. I hope that Pastner has gained maturity as a coach in this last difficult season - as they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - alcalde - 04-19-2015 10:52 PM

If Memphis has higher basketball minds that think Pastner is a star, then our problems are far more serious than I ever imagined, and we are fast becoming Houston in terms of program level

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - MTigerBlue - 04-19-2015 11:19 PM

Most of us put the future of the program above that of any particular player or coach. As long as those two futures are connected, I want both to succeed, but the only thing that seems certain about the thread topic is next season. It could be more, but it could also end before that. As always, we'll see.

Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - tigergg - 04-19-2015 11:24 PM

(04-19-2015 10:52 PM)alcalde Wrote:  If Memphis has higher basketball minds that think Pastner is a star, then our problems are far more serious than I ever imagined, and we are fast becoming Houston in terms of program level
^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - Tiger Greg - 04-19-2015 11:29 PM

There could always be

to mess with your future.

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - Tiger Greg - 04-20-2015 12:07 AM

He is a basketball coach.

Whether he is good or bad is your judgement call.

It is what it is.

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - BIGDTiger - 04-20-2015 12:55 AM

Go Grizz. Maybe the Tigers will hire Joerger after paz is fired.

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - MemphisFan95 - 04-20-2015 01:05 AM

(04-20-2015 12:55 AM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  Go Grizz. Maybe the Tigers will hire Joerger after paz is fired.

funny the last half of the season some wanted Joerger gone

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - ericsrevenge76 - 04-20-2015 01:59 AM

FINALLY, something new to talk about.

This thread should be loaded with fresh new ideas and opinions.

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - Tiger Greg - 04-20-2015 02:58 AM

(04-20-2015 01:59 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  FINALLY, something new to talk about.

This thread should be loaded with fresh new ideas and opinions.

I can hear in stereo!

I know that doesn't mean anything to most of you, but after many years of working in a a load noise factory, I thought my hearing was pretty much gone, especially in my right ear.

This morning, I can hear. It is special to me.

Don't know why it happened, but it makes me happy.

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - Tigermemphis - 04-20-2015 06:01 AM

The bottom line is, Pastner struck out big time with last year's attempt at a recruiting class and trying to replace the back court of four seniors.

I have respect for any young man wanting to wear the blue and gray, but Kendren Johnson, Avery Woodson, Trashon Burrell, and Chris Hawkins gave us next to nothing. Not nothing, because Woodson started off the very beginning shooting the ball well, but plummeted after that. Kendren had one or two solid games, but mostly was out of shape and a defensive liability. Burrell went off in one game, but was somewhat in a fog most of the year. Hawkins simply carried over his misfortune of injuries with him to Memphis.

Calvin Godfrey was the only decent piece Pastner brought in last year. Couple all of that with 2nd year flame outs in Kuran Iverson and Pookie Powell, two top 100 guys that were supposed to be decent, and you have a roster very devoid of enough talent to compliment Shaq and Austin.

Is it Pastner's job to spot talent and recruit better? Of course. Why was he not able to sell immediate playing time to better back court recruits? I don't know. All I know is that aside from Shaq and Austin, we were not on equal footing with hardly anyone we played. Pastner better have hit gold with Jeremiah Martin or the Broddie kid and prays he convinces Tarrant to come here, or next year won't be much better. The Lawsons will help upgrade the 3 and 4, but neither can play point guard.

I am encouraged by Crawford's upside....if he can improve the jumper, he is an athletic, tall, and harassing two guard that can bring energy.

Jury is out on Pastner. Nobody is positive whether he can X and O, but you usually could count on him recruiting well.......and he didn't last year.

TM

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - Tiger1983 - 04-20-2015 06:48 AM

This could get ugly...

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - ZachMan - 04-20-2015 07:25 AM

(04-20-2015 06:48 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  This could get ugly...

I doubt it will, people are tired of this topic, everyone has dug in on one side or the other, we are stuck with him so time to move on.

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - tiger-viper - 04-20-2015 08:03 AM

(04-19-2015 10:26 PM)Pastner4Prez Wrote:  I will say up front that I wanted Pastner gone after this season. I fought many a battle over this subject the last few months

I have now come to realize that the higher ups see something that me the grad/long time financial supporter do not see.

I am accepting and hoping I and many others were/are wrong in out assessment.

What I can say is that the $$$ was there to let him go. It was not about hit contract. It was that the top basketball minds feel JP is still the star we all hoped for.

With that I will say that I trust the higher ups and I take back every opinion I had.

I am a Memphis Tiger and if the our top officials believe then I am going to believe.

From here on I am vowing only to give Coach my 150% support.

I encourage all Tiger fans to join in and lets turn this around for the the U.

Coach P can do amazing things. What we should be hopeful if is that he now has legit experience running a major D1 program. He should now have the time under his belt to choose his battles and make better decisions.

I for one am burying my hatchet. I support the decision makers at UM and am back on board 150%.

Let's take our support to the Next Level and get Memphis back where we belong.

quitter.

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - Marc Mensa - 04-20-2015 08:05 AM

who are top basketball minds?

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - 99Tiger - 04-20-2015 08:19 AM

I'll just say that I still hope he comes out and starts kicking ass.

I'm unconvinced he will...but if he becomes the coach he needs to be to be successful; I'll gladly bury the hatchet (and not in his back). But right now, our greatest asset is hurting, and he's the one charged with managing it. If we want to show we belong, we need to maintain (get back to?) the level of basketball Memphis expects while improving football. I don't expect championships or even competing for them every year. I do expect to be competitive against the best the nation has to offer and to beat the Tulane's of the world.

Are we going to regain what Memphis basketball is...or are we going to become the next Houston, DePaul, St. John's, etc? If he's leading us towards the latter, then we need to address the situation before it's too late.

I still believe he's going to be a good basketball coach...but can we survive the OTJ training while he learns what it takes?

RE: Coach Pastner's Future at Memphis - Tiger1983 - 04-20-2015 08:20 AM

(04-20-2015 07:25 AM)ZachMan Wrote:  
(04-20-2015 06:48 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  This could get ugly...

I doubt it will, people are tired of this topic, everyone has dug in on one side or the other, we are stuck with him so time to move on.

I could be wrong, but watch and wait. We already have a NTR post. FWIW, I agree with the OP plea but some folks cannot resist the urge to bash Pastner. Update: the thread now has a poster using inflamatory language describing certain Tiger fans. Update: now a poster hopes Pastner moves on regardless of Pastner's success level. Let's see what happens next.