CSNbbs
GOP Voter ID Problem - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: GOP Voter ID Problem (/thread-734983.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

GOP Voter ID Problem - miko33 - 04-17-2015 09:52 AM

GOP is seeing a problem with voter affiliation. Looks like there is a few ways to look at this: 1) The GOP is seriously turning people off due to policy positions/execution problems - like leadership failing to execute on issues that got them into office in the first place, 2) The GOP is seeing a return back to the way things always been after blips from Reagan's tenure and the gains made during the "Contract with America" gains, and that without charismatic leaders that the country actually prefers people who are fiscally moderate to left leaning and champions of civil liberties, or 3) The GOP is pursuing polices or affiliations that people don't want, and if they would take a "bigger tent" view it would swell the ranks of the GOP.

It could be a combination of the 3 or there may be additional takes that I haven't thought of. Regardless, the long term prospects of the GOP are dimming. Whether those prospects are ultimately its existence or whether it results in a marginalized GOP remains to be seen. However, I believe these trends can be reversed if the GOP makes some changes. IMHO, if the GOP champions civil liberties more and maintains the plank of more fiscal freedom, it will do well over the long term.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/the-cook-report/2016-presidential-election-republican-party-voter-id-20150417

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - ECUGrad07 - 04-17-2015 09:54 AM

The 2014 mid-terms clearly showed that the GOP has "turned people off"... lol. Do you believe the stuff you post? Really?

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - shiftyeagle - 04-17-2015 09:58 AM

The GOP holds majorities in the House and Senate and monkey-stomped the Democrats in 2014.

The problem they have is finding the right candidate for the executive. They keep failing miserably at doing that.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - Fitbud - 04-17-2015 09:59 AM

(04-17-2015 09:58 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  The GOP holds majorities in the House and Senate and monkey-stomped the Democrats in 2014.

The problem they have is finding the right candidate for the executive. They keep failing miserably at doing that.

You nailed it.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - blunderbuss - 04-17-2015 10:00 AM

(04-17-2015 09:54 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  The 2014 mid-terms clearly showed that the GOP has "turned people off"... lol. Do you believe the stuff you post? Really?

He's a part-time troll.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - shiftyeagle - 04-17-2015 10:03 AM

(04-17-2015 09:59 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(04-17-2015 09:58 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  The GOP holds majorities in the House and Senate and monkey-stomped the Democrats in 2014.

You nailed it.

And we all already know the Republicans are going to nominate some old white neoconservative doofus in 2016.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - shiftyeagle - 04-17-2015 10:06 AM

I mean....could they possibly have chosen two candidates that could make the American voter's collective dick limper than John McCain and Mitt Romney?

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - ECUGrad07 - 04-17-2015 10:07 AM

(04-17-2015 10:06 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  I mean....could they possibly have chosen two candidates that could make the American voter's collective dick limper than John McCain and Mitt Romney?

Rubio, Cruz, Walker, Paul...

You definitely can't say they won't make things interesting. Each of them have infinitely more charisma than Romney & McCain combined.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - shiftyeagle - 04-17-2015 10:10 AM

(04-17-2015 10:07 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  
(04-17-2015 10:06 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  I mean....could they possibly have chosen two candidates that could make the American voter's collective dick limper than John McCain and Mitt Romney?

You definitely can't say they won't make things interesting. Each of them have infinitely more charisma than Romney & McCain combined.

Indeed.

But none of them will get the nomination.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - ECUGrad07 - 04-17-2015 10:11 AM

(04-17-2015 10:10 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  

Indeed.

I honestly believe that Scott Walker will beat Jeb Bush for the nomination. Jeb is going to get crucified in the primaries for his liberal views.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - shiftyeagle - 04-17-2015 10:12 AM

(04-17-2015 10:11 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  
(04-17-2015 10:10 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  

Indeed.

I honestly believe that Scott Walker will beat Jeb Bush for the nomination. Jeb is going to get crucified in the primaries for his liberal views.

Media hates Scott Walker too much (which I see as a good thing). They are going to be relentless on him, and the American voter is the sheep to the Media's shepherd.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - EverRespect - 04-17-2015 10:15 AM

Rubio is the same retread of philosophy with a younger and prettier face. The other three are credible warriors that excite conservatives and will appeal to regular people that have been sitting out. 2008 was so bad that Mitt Romney himself was the McCain conservative alternative. 2012 it was Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, neither had a snowball's chance in hell of getting people to the polls.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - miko33 - 04-17-2015 10:18 AM

(04-17-2015 09:54 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  The 2014 mid-terms clearly showed that the GOP has "turned people off"... lol. Do you believe the stuff you post? Really?

Yes, one election means that everything is automatically right with the party...

You don't get it. Demographics are changing, and people's views are changing. In another thread, there was some good discussion that compared changing values as people age vs changing values between older and younger generations. It's my belief that the intergenerational changes are going to be greater over the long term than the change you will see within a generation as that generation ages. Values are one issue. The other issue is one based on freedom. While economic freedom is crucial to the long term success and health of our country, your everyday person doesn't connect with that. What they connect with is the freedoms that they can see for themselves - civil liberties. The GOP should be all about freedom. That's what Barry Goldwater envisioned for the GOP, and that is what ultimately catapulted Reagan into the Whitehouse. Reagan built his views off of Goldwater. Today the GOP is seen as being against freedom. That may shock some people to hear it - but look around - that's what people see.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - oliveandblue - 04-17-2015 10:26 AM

I like Republicans on a local level. Unfortunately, the national-level ones are all corrupt and vile pieces of garbage.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - EverRespect - 04-17-2015 10:29 AM

(04-17-2015 10:18 AM)miko33 Wrote:  

Yes, one election means that everything is automatically right with the party...

You don't get it. Demographics are changing, and people's views are changing. In another thread, there was some good discussion that compared changing values as people age vs changing values between older and younger generations. It's my belief that the intergenerational changes are going to be greater over the long term than the change you will see within a generation as that generation ages. Values are one issue. The other issue is one based on freedom. While economic freedom is crucial to the long term success and health of our country, your everyday person doesn't connect with that. What they connect with is the freedoms that they can see for themselves - civil liberties. The GOP should be all about freedom. That's what Barry Goldwater envisioned for the GOP, and that is what ultimately catapulted Reagan into the Whitehouse. Reagan built his views off of Goldwater. Today the GOP is seen as being against freedom. That may shock some people to hear it - but look around - that's what people see.

Ted Cruz and Rand Paul can appeal to the shifting demographics.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - shiftyeagle - 04-17-2015 10:30 AM

Today the GOP is seen as being against freedom.

I think you mean liberty rather than freedom.

If you believe the GOP to be the only ones against many personal liberties, then you have your head buried in the sand.

Both sides want to limit your personal liberties, they just disagree on which ones.

Wake up.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - shiftyeagle - 04-17-2015 10:31 AM

(04-17-2015 10:26 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  I like Republicans on a local level. Unfortunately, the national-level ones are all corrupt and vile pieces of garbage.

As are the Democrats.

Honestly, when is the last time there was a more corrupt presidential candidate than Hillary Clinton?

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - miko33 - 04-17-2015 10:32 AM

(04-17-2015 10:29 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Ted Cruz and Rand Paul can appeal to the shifting demographics.

I hope so. Rand in particular because I believe he could have a strong grounding in civil liberties; however, I cringed a little at how he answered the "gay marriage" question.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - Fitbud - 04-17-2015 10:34 AM

Rand has said a few things that make me cringe. However, I would still vote for him.

He doesn't have a chance though. The GOP will crush him.

RE: GOP Voter ID Problem - shiftyeagle - 04-17-2015 10:36 AM

In this country if you are pro-gay marriage (which usually means that you agree to authorize the government to grant two homosexuals the right to marry) and are for the legalization of marijuana (and the absurdly high taxes and ridiculous government oversight that is attached to it), then you are for civil liberties.

I find that to be hilarious.