CSNbbs
Liberty to pay COA? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Liberty to pay COA? (/thread-734600.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Liberty to pay COA? - CISDuke2014 - 04-13-2015 10:02 PM

Football Scoop is reporting that Liberty is apparently going to start paying COA for student-athletes this fall. This can't be good for us, they are basically operating as the 4th FBS school in the state in all but name and scheduling. Gotta think this gives them a leg up on recruiting not only against us but against all of FCS.

http://footballscoop.com/news/source-liberty-will-be-first-fcs-program-to-provide-cost-of-attendance/

Liberty to pay COA? - jmusuperfan - 04-13-2015 10:07 PM

Already posted in conf realignment

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - CISDuke2014 - 04-13-2015 10:09 PM

Just saw that. How can I delete the thread I've never had to delete one before lol.

Liberty to pay COA? - jmusuperfan - 04-13-2015 10:17 PM

No worries just leave it. Conf thread is a dump at this point anyway

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - JMUDunk - 04-14-2015 01:16 AM

Leave it, I may never had seen this otherwise. Troubling, but further evidence- we gotta go! Time to move on, the CAA has left us.

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - jmu97 - 04-14-2015 07:12 AM

This certainly helps Liberty attract some kids that might have overlooked them in the past, but the recruits still have to get past the strict student life. At the end of the day, most of these kids still want to be able to party and have "fun" with girls. I would be more worried if this were a regular school like Richmond or Towson.

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - HMK - 04-14-2015 07:18 AM

A for profit school floating in money searching for a way to win to gain recognition.

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - jmusuperfan - 04-14-2015 07:36 AM

the definitely want to make the money but have somehow maintained a non profit status so they have to put the money somewhere. I had heard they were looking to split some things up and have a for profit component to their offering.

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - CISDuke2014 - 04-14-2015 08:39 AM

They spend most of the money. I go down to Lynchburg nearly every week and each week it seems like a new construction project has started. A friend down there told me there's over half a BILLION worth of construction going on and lots more planned. That's going to help recruiting too, when everything is so new and nice.

Yes the student life is strict but if you want to get out and party you can find ways. It isn't that hard so I not sure that will stop recruits too much.

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - ShadyP - 04-14-2015 08:43 AM

(04-14-2015 08:39 AM)CISDuke2014 Wrote:  They spend most of the money. I go down to Lynchburg nearly every week and each week it seems like a new construction project has started. A friend down there told me there's over half a BILLION worth of construction going on and lots more planned. That's going to help recruiting too, when everything is so new and nice.

Yes the student life is strict but if you want to get out and party you can find ways. It isn't that hard so I not sure that will stop recruits too much.

Yup, the strict nature has never hurt the UVA malcontents from popping back up down in Lynchburg. I don't think kids that get booted from one school all of a sudden become born again Christians. LU is like everywhere else, they turn a somewhat blind eye as long as you are not getting arrested and embarrassing the school.

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - JMU2004 - 04-14-2015 08:58 AM

article is 4 years old, but even more relevant now that Liberty is receiving nearly $1 billion/year in federal student loan funding. A private university that is nearly fully funded through federal dollars.

http://www.alternet.org/story/151442/why_is_jerry_falwell%27s_evangelical_university_getting_filthy_rich_off_your_tax_money

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - DBJMU2006 - 04-14-2015 09:50 AM

Liberty is a bubble. It will pop eventually. U of Phoenix has seen a 50% decline in students since 2011 as prior students realize what a sham it is.

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - JMU2004 - 04-14-2015 09:57 AM

(04-14-2015 09:50 AM)DBJMU2006 Wrote:  Liberty is a bubble. It will pop eventually. U of Phoenix has seen a 50% decline in students since 2011 as prior students realize what a sham it is.

Have to agree. I saw that the military will no longer pay to have their chaplains study there.

Also think that Liberty will be forced to change their non-profit status. They're blatantly profiting and marketing.

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - Purplehazed - 04-14-2015 10:07 AM

(04-14-2015 07:18 AM)HMK Wrote:  A for profit school floating in money searching for a way to win to gain recognition.

Like Darden at UVA.

Liberty to pay COA? - jmusuperfan - 04-14-2015 06:56 PM

Holy crap paying for all 20 sports http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=14576&TeamID=

Liberty to pay COA? - HolyCityDuke - 04-14-2015 07:25 PM

Jeff Barber, Liberty University Director of Athletics
"The goal of Liberty athletics has always been, and always will be, to compete at the highest levels of NCAA D1 athletics. Having the opportunity to offer full cost of attendance will certainly assist in achieving that goal. The welfare of our student-athletes is always paramount and we believe providing each of them with this support is important."

Wish JMU would make bold statements.

Liberty to pay COA? - Madison 91 Forever - 04-14-2015 08:00 PM

We're effed. Not only do we have no realistic prospects now of FBS, we're going to end up a lower rung FCS school as well. The decision to turn down the Sun Belt last year will haunt JMU athletics forever.

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - NewTimes - 04-14-2015 08:26 PM

(04-14-2015 09:57 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(04-14-2015 09:50 AM)DBJMU2006 Wrote:  Liberty is a bubble. It will pop eventually. U of Phoenix has seen a 50% decline in students since 2011 as prior students realize what a sham it is.

Have to agree. I saw that the military will no longer pay to have their chaplains study there.

Also think that Liberty will be forced to change their non-profit status. They're blatantly profiting and marketing.
You do know that the NFL is a non profit entity?

RE: Liberty to pay COA? - DoubleDogDare - 04-14-2015 08:35 PM

I chose a walk-on spot at JMU over a partial sholly at Liberty and smaller grants at other FCS schools. My family had the means to cover the extra $5k a year (guess, I really don't remember cause the tuition at Liberty was also a little lower than JMUs) and I knew JMU was a much better school academically and a MUCH better fit for me personally. I'm guessing this reasoning would still hold true for some recruits that are choosing betwen partial at JMU vs full at Liberty.

I would be more worried about Liberty continuing to sell FBS, rapidly growing infrastructure, and the fact they beat us in the playoffs at BFS before I worry about an extra $5k a year in tuition swaying a recruit.

I am a little confused about "full cost of attendance." How is that different than full scholarship? That Liberty press release still says they will give partial scholarships so I guess I'm confused about what is changing.

EDIT: This article sums it up nicely. Basically Liberty is going to give its full scholly athletes an extra $2k a year for additional expenses. Partial scholarship athletes will get a percentage. My example holds true. Considering I went to JMU for an additional $10K, that $2k isn't swaying me. I bet there are plenty of athletes willing to go to JMU on full scholly before Liberty on full scholly + $2k.

Liberty to pay COA? - JMU2004 - 04-14-2015 08:42 PM

(04-14-2015 08:26 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(04-14-2015 09:57 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

You do know that the NFL is a non profit entity?

Yep. And they're going to be targeted soon.