CSNbbs
worse case scenario Coosa 16 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: worse case scenario Coosa 16 (/thread-733362.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

worse case scenario Coosa 16 - MJG - 04-02-2015 10:43 AM

Would it be worse for them to take the preferred SBC candidates MSU and JMU plus one.

The three most successful SBC programs .

The three best SBC markets or potential markets.

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - Georgia_Power_Company - 04-02-2015 11:03 AM

If CUSA were able to raid the Sun Belt for Three teams I think the worst case would be they take and combination of ULL, stAte, Texas St, USA and GS.

It would be a slightly lesser hit if they go for markets and take three such as GSU, USA and ULL.

Best case is they take no one or only one - preferably Georgia State. 05-stirthepot

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - TheRevSWT - 04-02-2015 11:15 AM

Define worse... Worst overall, worst for football, worst for basketball, etc?

Worst case scenario for me personally? Would be taking stAte, ULM, & the Cajuns. It would further slide Texas State out on an island, and significantly weaken the conference from a football and baseball standpoint. Basketball is bad already, so how much worse could we get?

Worst case overall? I'd say taking stAte, the Cajuns, and Georgia State. We'd lose the two top teams in recent history (past 10 years) in football (as well as the top two teams with "name" recognition), we'd lose a lot of baseball strungth (spelling intentional), and our top basketball team. Even more, we'd lose what is one of the better draws for the NOLA bowl. Furthermore, we'd lose MSU as a potential replacement, as I don't think they would have ANY interest in the Sun Belt without stAte.

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - arkstfan - 04-02-2015 11:23 AM

My idle speculation.

Based on the public comments the east wants to form a compact division of 6 plus the two Florida, from talking to actual real officials at two CUSA West, they want some help on travel as well.

So 16 might get some traction and if it does, it will be JMU or Liberty in the east and two schools in the west.

Now if they see TV isn't going to go up much but they want to avoid a showdown over goofed up scheduling from having 13, they have two choices.
1. Keep UAB and add either UMass/Army as football only.
2. Add a single team and the only school that to me halfway addresses the issues of east/west is South Alabama. Supposedly USM wouldn't like it but I suspect the other 12 aren't overly worried.

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - Usajags - 04-02-2015 04:12 PM

If CUSA were to drop UAb, I could see them going after South as their replacement. Keeps CUSA in the state of Alabama. The real question, would we go???

CUSA, in past realignment, went for markets, if they keep that method, GaSt is going, and I'm ok with that.

If South were to go, Jax St will be brought into the SBC.

Don't count out UAb football, they will be given a year to restart that program, and it may happen.

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - Tom in Lazybrook - 04-02-2015 04:43 PM

(04-02-2015 10:43 AM)MJG Wrote:  Would it be worse for them to take the preferred SBC candidates MSU and JMU plus one.

The three most successful SBC programs .

The three best SBC markets or potential markets.

CUSA isn't going to go to 16.

If they were to go to 16, the worst thing they could do from my perspective (USA's) would be to take

Arkansas State
ULL
Texas State

A Sun Belt without those three teams definitely shifts to the East. It would make a Missouri State bid less viable. It would also make any complete integration of NMSU impossible. It probably wont help convince JMU to make the jump to the Belt.

---

In that case, there is one door that does open....SHSU and McNeese would be targets (as there'd be no one left to block them).

---

But the likely result is that we get another football only in UMass.

---

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - Atlanta Trojan - 04-02-2015 04:56 PM

(04-02-2015 11:03 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  If CUSA were able to raid the Sun Belt for Three teams I think the worst case would be they take and combination of ULL, stAte, Texas St, USA and GS.

It would be a slightly lesser hit if they go for markets and take three such as GSU, USA and ULL.

Best case is they take no one or only one - preferably Georgia State. 05-stirthepot

GS Is in the same problem TROY, ULM, App state have.... No market. Statesboro is basically the size of Troy

GS won't be called up anytime soon.

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - Saint3333 - 04-02-2015 05:01 PM

(04-02-2015 04:56 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 11:03 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  If CUSA were able to raid the Sun Belt for Three teams I think the worst case would be they take and combination of ULL, stAte, Texas St, USA and GS.

GS Is in the same problem TROY, ULM, App state have.... No market. Statesboro is basically the size of Troy

JMU and Liberty have that same issue yet seem to be considered by some.

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - Atlanta Trojan - 04-02-2015 05:07 PM

(04-02-2015 05:01 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  

JMU and Liberty have that same issue yet seem to be considered by some.

JMU and Liberty are in larger cities than any of the 4 schools I mentioned

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - GeauxUL - 04-02-2015 05:11 PM

Cusa could really put a hurting on the belt if they wanted to

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - CajunFanatico - 04-02-2015 05:29 PM

(04-02-2015 05:11 PM)GeauxUL Wrote:  Cusa could really put a hurting on the belt if they wanted to

We should do a preemptive strike on Coosa, a hostile takeover so to speak. Keep the good parts and sell off the stuff that does not fit our overall long term stratergery.

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - GSU Eagles - 04-02-2015 05:36 PM

La Tech and WKU were invited to CUSA with no market. If GS goes undefeated in the SBC again and beats WMU and West Va or UGA, then conferences will really take notice. And I believe our team in 2015 will be better than the 2014 team.

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - Atlanta Trojan - 04-02-2015 05:44 PM

(04-02-2015 05:36 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  

La Tech and WKU were invited to CUSA with no market. If GS goes undefeated in the SBC again and beats WMU and West Va or UGA, then conferences will really take notice. And I believe our team in 2015 will be better than the 2014 team.

Again both those cities are also larger than Statesboro. WKU also brings more to the table than just football as well.

USA, ULL, GSU, Ark State all get invites before GS...

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - GSU Eagles - 04-02-2015 06:22 PM

(04-02-2015 05:44 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  

Again both those cities are also larger than Statesboro. WKU also brings more to the table than just football as well.

You are right. That Ruston TV market is a game changer.

I think CUSA lays low this year. There is no reason to rush.

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - BRtransplant - 04-02-2015 06:34 PM

(04-02-2015 06:22 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  

No, our market surely didn't get us into CUSA. La Tech got into CUSA based on our national brand recognition. Playing for 10 years in the WAC helped us a lot in that area. I believe that GA Southern turned a lot of heads last year,(mine for one) and that a another successful year will put you guys squarely in the hunt when CUSA next expands.

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - Oldyeller - 04-02-2015 06:45 PM

Hm. Not likely but with a population of 10 million the state of Georgia fils a pretty significant void for any conference short of the SEC and ACC. GS and G state bring rivalry and with it a state rivalry.

[Image: lySkieS.png]

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - GSU Eagles - 04-02-2015 06:47 PM

(04-02-2015 06:34 PM)BRtransplant Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 06:22 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 04:56 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  GS Is in the same problem TROY, ULM, App state have.... No market. Statesboro is basically the size of Troy

No, our market surely didn't get us into CUSA. La Tech got into CUSA based on our national brand recognition. Playing for 10 years in the WAC helped us a lot in that area. I believe that GA Southern turned a lot of heads last year,(mine for one) and that a another successful year will put you guys squarely in the hunt when CUSA next expands.

Agree with all of that. His point is that Ga Southern will never be on CUSA's radar because of our market. As evidenced by La Tech, markets can be overcome by other factors. Another solid season by GS and heads will be turning.

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - TrueBlueDrew - 04-02-2015 06:56 PM

GS isn't in a bad spot though. Yes, Statesboro is a smaller city, but GS's market expands past the Boro. Savannah, Augusta, Macon (all cities with well over 100,000 people and tons of alumni) make a triangle with Statesboro right in the middle and with major roadways straight to Statesboro. We're still building our FBS market status, but with being inside the trifecta and also keeping our Atlanta alums included, we shouldn't have a problem building a decent-sized market in the future. That being said, I do agree that if markets are still a big deal, others will look better than GS for now.

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - GeauxUL - 04-02-2015 06:57 PM

(04-02-2015 05:29 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 05:11 PM)GeauxUL Wrote:  Cusa could really put a hurting on the belt if they wanted to

We should do a preemptive strike on Coosa, a hostile takeover so to speak. Keep the good parts and sell off the stuff that does not fit our overall long term stratergery.

Oh yeah? And what do you suggest we do?

RE: worse case scenario Coosa 16 - SoCalBobcat78 - 04-02-2015 07:09 PM

(04-02-2015 11:23 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  My idle speculation.

Based on the public comments the east wants to form a compact division of 6 plus the two Florida, from talking to actual real officials at two CUSA West, they want some help on travel as well.

So 16 might get some traction and if it does, it will be JMU or Liberty in the east and two schools in the west.

Now if they see TV isn't going to go up much but they want to avoid a showdown over goofed up scheduling from having 13, they have two choices.
1. Keep UAB and add either UMass/Army as football only.
2. Add a single team and the only school that to me halfway addresses the issues of east/west is South Alabama. Supposedly USM wouldn't like it but I suspect the other 12 aren't overly worried.

Which team in CUSA is the "marquee football program" in the conference? Louisiana Tech? Marshall? Rice? There is none. CUSA consists of 13 FBS football programs with upside. None of these 13 programs have any real value right now. Adding three more does not add value.

CUSA played at 13 in 2014 and will play at 13 in 2015. They don't have to add anyone. Army's schedule is booked for years out and UMass is getting there. Conference re-alignment did not help CUSA and they need time to absorb the new schools and create some rivalries and interest.