CSNbbs
STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------- Forum: NTR Sports (/forum-675.html)
+------- Thread: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) (/thread-733227.html)

Pages: 1 2

STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - HometownTiger - 04-01-2015 10:11 AM

last year it was reported that Cal was offered a 10-year deal worth nearly $80 million and included the role of Cleveland's head coach and team president.

He declined signed a new seven-year deal with Kentucky worth $52.5 million guaranteed.

Cleveland didn't have Lebron back then. Cleveland didn't have Kevin Love back then. Cleveland wasn't an almost guaranteed NBA Finals participant back then. AND Cal wasn't coming off a likely 40-0 NCAA Championship season back then.

I know the stars would have to align just right, but I could definitely see Cal making the jump to coach the best player in the world ... at the highest level in the world ... for boat loads of cash & decision making power.

IF that's the case...would we be back in for Skal?

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - Docsserious - 04-01-2015 10:15 AM

(04-01-2015 10:11 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  last year it was reported that Cal was offered a 10-year deal worth nearly $80 million and included the role of Cleveland's head coach and team president.

He declined signed a new seven-year deal with Kentucky worth $52.5 million guaranteed.

Cleveland didn't have Lebron back then. Cleveland didn't have Kevin Love back then. Cleveland wasn't an almost guaranteed NBA Finals participant back then. AND Cal wasn't coming off a likely 40-0 NCAA Championship season back then.

I know the stars would have to align just right, but I could definitely see Cal making the jump to coach the best player in the world ... at the highest level in the world ... for boat loads of cash & decision making power.

No
That ship has sailed
$$$$$$ already changed hands
Bought sold and delivered

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - ncrdbl1 - 04-01-2015 10:26 AM

(04-01-2015 10:11 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  last year it was reported that Cal was offered a 10-year deal worth nearly $80 million and included the role of Cleveland's head coach and team president.

We had Skal if we wanted him. We just do not do the things that needed to be done under Pastner. Still will be surprised if he ever sees the court at UK.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - holyterror - 04-01-2015 10:28 AM

The deal got too shady for us to pull the trigger.
That's okay.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - snowtiger - 04-01-2015 10:31 AM

I figure nothing much has changed with the Hamilton dude. He wants the big cash now. If he can't get that, then he'll hop around baiting programs for the little stuff, not that there's anything wrong with that.
lol. It's only money being funneled to a good cause. 07-coffee3

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - macgar32 - 04-01-2015 10:49 AM

Hamilton did the right thing if he is trying to cash in...

If Skal is the player they think he is they don't need any money from colleges. If he is a top notch player he will be lottery with John and UK. Cal has a proven track record with this.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - BIGDTiger - 04-01-2015 11:24 AM

(04-01-2015 10:49 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  Hamilton did the right thing if he is trying to cash in...

If Skal is the player they think he is they don't need any money from colleges. If he is a top notch player he will be lottery with John and UK. Cal has a proven track record with this.

Agreed. As much as I hate to say it. Skal would have been hurt by coming here. But the fact that his recruitment was extremely shady makes me more comfortable with him going elsewhere. It will just sting a whole lot if UK wins a title & he's the reason why. While we are stuck with young wooden.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - Willie Becton - 04-01-2015 11:26 AM

(04-01-2015 11:24 AM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 10:49 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  Hamilton did the right thing if he is trying to cash in...

Agreed. As much as I hate to say it. Skal would have been hurt by coming here. But the fact that his recruitment was extremely shady makes me more comfortable with him going elsewhere. It will just sting a whole lot if UK wins a title & he's the reason why. While we are stuck with young wooden.

It never stings when doing things the right way cause you not to come in first place. If it does, then theres a serious prioritization problem.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - 450bench - 04-01-2015 11:29 AM

If Cal wins the thing this year he'd have no way to improve anything and I wouldn't be shocked if he left.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - holyterror - 04-01-2015 12:21 PM

(04-01-2015 11:26 AM)Willie Becton Wrote:  

It never stings when doing things the right way cause you not to come in first place. If it does, then theres a serious prioritization problem.

There is indeed a serious prioritization problem. Winning at all costs might get you a slap on the wrist at UNC but at U of M it gets you crucified.

It's a dangerous mindset. Maybe one reason the AD is sticking with Pastner is that he's known to be clean and we still need the image revision with the NCAA.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - TigerBill - 04-01-2015 12:28 PM

(04-01-2015 12:21 PM)holyterror Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 11:26 AM)Willie Becton Wrote:  

There is indeed a serious prioritization problem. Winning at all costs might get you a slap on the wrist at UNC but at U of M it gets you crucified.

It's a dangerous mindset. Maybe one reason the AD is sticking with Pastner is that he's known to be clean and we still need the image revision with the NCAA.

I don't think you can dismiss that notion out of hand.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - presskh - 04-01-2015 01:01 PM

(04-01-2015 11:29 AM)450bench Wrote:  If Cal wins the thing this year he'd have no way to improve anything and I wouldn't be shocked if he left.

Agree with this. Unless he thinks he can make history having back to back undefeated seasons - very unlikely, though.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - RekeHavoc - 04-01-2015 01:02 PM

Go Badgers.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - presskh - 04-01-2015 01:11 PM

(04-01-2015 01:02 PM)RekeHavoc Wrote:  Go Badgers.

Yep. If they can't beat UK, I don't see Duke or MSU beating them.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - holyterror - 04-01-2015 01:35 PM

I'm torn. Much as I'd love to see Cal and his cast lose to such a team as Wisconsin, I need KY to win it all if I'm going to win my office pool.

In a way, I guess I win regardless.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - HometownTiger - 04-01-2015 01:49 PM

Would UK be able to make a "wow" hire?

I have my doubts, but it is Kentucky ...

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - macgar32 - 04-01-2015 01:53 PM

(04-01-2015 01:49 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Would UK be able to make a "wow" hire?

It is a crap shoot...

Cal was a lucky hire for them...You could see he was a mercenary and that he had the recruiting thing going.

I just don't see anyone else that fits that bill for them and I am not aware of any UK alumns that are proven.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - spankadelphia - 04-01-2015 02:22 PM

Cleveland isn't firing David Blatt, who would coach circles around Johnny Boy in the Association.

I mean, could you imagine Cal coaching the Cavs in the Finals against Popovich and the Spurs? LOL. Pop would laugh his way to 20 point wins and a series sweep.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - oldmangrizz - 04-01-2015 02:24 PM

As much as I would hate to see KY win another national title, watching the meltdown at CatsPause when he left might well be worth it. They are convinced he's going nowhere.

RE: STR - Cal to the NBA (again) - Stammers - 04-01-2015 02:26 PM

(04-01-2015 01:53 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 01:49 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Would UK be able to make a "wow" hire?

It is a crap shoot...

Cal was a lucky hire for them...You could see he was a mercenary and that he had the recruiting thing going.

I just don't see anyone else that fits that bill for them and I am not aware of any UK alumns that are proven.

He has had 3 jobs. He was at the first for 8 years, the second for 9 years and has been at the third for 5 years and counting. Quite the opposite of a mercenary.