CSNbbs
The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... (/thread-733218.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - Maize - 04-01-2015 09:39 AM

Would put this in the Spin Room but it applies here...Just Wow!!

The ongoing college athletics backlash against Indiana's controversial Religious Freedom Restoration Act continued Tuesday with MAC commissioner John Steinbrecher telling ESPN his conference will not schedule events in the Hoosier State until the legislative situation changes.

"The Mid-American Conference will not schedule any more meetings or championships in Indiana until this current matter is brought to a sensible and appropriate conclusion," Steinbrecher said.

Though Indiana is home to only one MAC school, Ball State, Steinbrecher said the conference usually schedules its winter presidents' meetings in Indianapolis. That will not be the case in 2016 unless the act as signed by Gov. Mike Pence is changed.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25131400/mac-wont-schedule-events-in-indiana-due-to-controversial-new-law

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - stever20 - 04-01-2015 09:47 AM

would have to think this could impact the Indiana schools if this doesn't get changed. Would think schools would refuse to schedule games in Indiana until it changes, especially in basketball.

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - Frank the Tank - 04-01-2015 09:59 AM

(04-01-2015 09:47 AM)stever20 Wrote:  would have to think this could impact the Indiana schools if this doesn't get changed. Would think schools would refuse to schedule games in Indiana until it changes, especially in basketball.

The real heavyweight for college sports (besides the NCAA itself) that could have an immediate impact is the Big Ten. Both the football conference championship game and the basketball conference tournament are scheduled to be in Indy next season.

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - Maize - 04-01-2015 10:00 AM

Mike Pence opened up a huge can of worms for his State...

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - uakronkid - 04-01-2015 10:00 AM

The MAC doesn't hold any championships in Indiana anyway.

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - Maize - 04-01-2015 10:02 AM

(04-01-2015 09:59 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 09:47 AM)stever20 Wrote:  would have to think this could impact the Indiana schools if this doesn't get changed. Would think schools would refuse to schedule games in Indiana until it changes, especially in basketball.

The real heavyweight for college sports (besides the NCAA itself) that could have an immediate impact is the Big Ten. Both the football conference championship game and the basketball conference tournament are scheduled to be in Indy next season.

The Biggest issue coming up is not the B1G but the National Football League...they are scheduled to host the 2018 Super Bowl...

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - MWC Tex - 04-01-2015 10:12 AM

(04-01-2015 10:00 AM)Maize Wrote:  Mike Pence opened up a huge can of worms for his State...

Nobody has taken the time to read what the law says. It is everything that is on the Federal legislation that Chuck Schumer created and the Dems and Bill Clinton signed into law. Along with 20 other states.
If they take the time to read, it allows religious freedom to be to say that they won't bake a wedding cake but they are not allow to discriminate against if the person just wanted a regular cake. I'd hope that if some Satanic couple wanted a wedding cake that baker will have the religious right to say no.

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - HuskyU - 04-01-2015 10:13 AM

2016 Women's Basketball Final Four is in Indianapolis too.

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - HuskyU - 04-01-2015 10:19 AM

(04-01-2015 10:12 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 10:00 AM)Maize Wrote:  Mike Pence opened up a huge can of worms for his State...

Nobody has taken the time to read what the law says. It is everything that is on the Federal legislation that Chuck Schumer created and the Dems and Bill Clinton signed into law. Along with 20 other states.
If they take the time to read, it allows religious freedom to be to say that they won't bake a wedding cake but they are not allow to discriminate against if the person just wanted a regular cake. I'd hope that if some Satanic couple wanted a wedding cake that baker will have the religious right to say no.

It's not like other states. Connecticut for example has the same law, but it also has adopted other laws that disallow anyone from using the Religious Freedom Act as a base for discrimination of any kind.

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - Frank the Tank - 04-01-2015 10:26 AM

(04-01-2015 10:19 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  

It's not like other states. Connecticut for example has the same law, but it also has adopted other laws that disallow anyone from using the Religious Freedom Act as a base for discrimination of any kind.

EXACTLY. The "other states have similar laws" argument I keep seeing doesn't hold water. Those other states have anti-discrimination protection based on sexual orientation that Indiana and Arkansas don't have. That's why the RFRAs in those other states don't present the same issue.

Re: RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - shere khan - 04-01-2015 11:10 AM

People are such sheep. It's almost sad

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - ecuacc4ever - 04-01-2015 11:14 AM

(04-01-2015 11:10 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

I don't quite understand the context of your response -- where are you coming from? Are you referring to Tex as sheep, or...?

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - dbackjon - 04-01-2015 11:48 AM

That is incorrect - a lie told by those trying to excuse bigotry.

No other state, or the Federal Government has a similar law.

Re: RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - blunderbuss - 04-01-2015 12:20 PM

Sure is. People are taught what to think instead of how to.

I'd be willing to bet 99% of the people "outraged" haven't read it.

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - SeaBlue - 04-01-2015 12:23 PM

(04-01-2015 11:48 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  That is incorrect - a lie told by those trying to excuse bigotry.

What part of it do you judge not to be similar?

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - All Dukes_All Day - 04-01-2015 12:32 PM

I just don't understand why you'd want to give your business to someone who hates you without knowing you or why you'd even want to deny someone business in the first place. If somebody denied me a service because of who I was, I'd just take my business elsewhere while saying "well, guess somebody else gets my money."

Re: RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - shere khan - 04-01-2015 12:34 PM

(04-01-2015 12:20 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

This

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - HuskyU - 04-01-2015 12:37 PM

(04-01-2015 12:23 PM)SeaBlue Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 11:48 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  That is incorrect - a lie told by those trying to excuse bigotry.

What part of it do you judge not to be similar?

Nearly every other state (if not all) with the Religious Freedom Act has a separate law(s) which protect discrimination based on sexual orientation, therefore making it illegal to use the Religious Freedom Act as a means to discriminate. Both Indiana and Arkansas don't have those anti-discrimination laws.

RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - nert - 04-01-2015 12:40 PM

(04-01-2015 12:20 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

I would assume that is true as well. Because I haven't read it - I have not commented on one side or the other. Most of the time, outrage seems to be immediate, overly-harsh, overly-simplified and mostly unfounded - and the truth is slowly revealed months later to no great reaction. The truth is generally less good, less bad, less interesting and a great deal more complicated than the hype. Hopefully, the MAC office has actually read it before making an announcement.

Re: RE: The MAC has joined the Ban on the State of Indiana.... - shere khan - 04-01-2015 12:42 PM

(04-01-2015 12:32 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  I just don't understand why you'd want to give your business to someone who hates you without knowing you or why you'd even want to deny someone business in the first place. If somebody denied me a service because of who I was, I'd just take my business elsewhere while saying "well, guess somebody else gets my money."

Do you really think that is what this is about

Do you think that is air you are breathing

[Image: 11055913_665689613535789_1783545366_n.jpg]