CSNbbs
Money - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Money (/thread-732480.html)

Money - OptimisticOwl - 03-26-2015 09:02 AM

In the April, 2015 issue of Money, Rice is listed as the second most aid-friendly school, based on the combination of need and merit based financial aid.

RE: Money - Da.Owl - 03-26-2015 09:06 AM

(03-26-2015 09:02 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  In the April, 2015 issue of Money, Rice is listed as the second most aid-friendly school, based on the combination of need and merit based financial aid.

" ... that's what I want."

RE: Money - JSA - 03-26-2015 03:47 PM

The administration has said that if the only thing standing in the way of a student attending Rice is money, they will find a solution.
Does Rice still cap the amount of debt they will let a student incur?

RE: Money - OptimisticOwl - 03-26-2015 11:36 PM

(03-26-2015 03:47 PM)JSA Wrote:  The administration has said that if the only thing standing in the way of a student attending Rice is money, they will find a solution.

According to the article, the average family debt on graduation is $8,447. No idea of any maximum.

RE: Money - I45owl - 03-27-2015 01:10 AM

... It's a gas

RE: Money - Klobasnek - 03-27-2015 07:14 AM

I was under the impression that Rice didn't give out any merit-based aid, only need-based aid.

RE: Money - Frizzy Owl - 03-27-2015 07:29 AM

(03-27-2015 07:14 AM)Klobasnek Wrote:  I was under the impression that Rice didn't give out any merit-based aid, only need-based aid.

From the Rice University financial aid web pages:

"All admitted freshman applicants are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships, so that no separate application forms or interviews are necessary."

RE: Money - I45owl - 03-27-2015 09:21 AM

(03-27-2015 07:29 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(03-27-2015 07:14 AM)Klobasnek Wrote:  I was under the impression that Rice didn't give out any merit-based aid, only need-based aid.

"All admitted freshman applicants are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships, so that no separate application forms or interviews are necessary."

I'm fairly certain that the fact that my Dad's (by-then former) employer gave me an $8k national merit scholarship would up costing us about $12k versus them not offering it and Rice granting a merit scholarship in its stead. But, the rules were such that there was a hierarchy where you must accept the employer's scholarship if offered, and the school could offer only if you had not been offered one by someone else. I'm not sure if I could've gamed things differently if I'd known the implications, but college was far more affordable then than it is now.

RE: Money - Almadenmike - 03-27-2015 03:00 PM

Here's a link to Rice's page on merit scholarships: http://financialaid.rice.edu/scholarships.aspx. I suspect that there are also a number of endowed scholarships based on merit, according to the limitations of the gifts.

RE: Money - cthrockmorton - 03-27-2015 04:30 PM

(03-26-2015 11:36 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-26-2015 03:47 PM)JSA Wrote:  The administration has said that if the only thing standing in the way of a student attending Rice is money, they will find a solution.

According to the article, the average family debt on graduation is $8,447. No idea of any maximum.

I currently owe $27,284.65.
Just my $0.02. Or so.
03-lmfao

RE: Money - GoodOwl - 03-27-2015 04:49 PM

Artist: The O'Jays
Track: "For the Love of Money"
Album: Ship Ahoy
Philadelphia International Records 1973

RE: Money - JOwl - 03-27-2015 10:51 PM

(03-27-2015 09:21 AM)I45owl Wrote:  

I'm fairly certain that the fact that my Dad's (by-then former) employer gave me an $8k national merit scholarship would up costing us about $12k versus them not offering it and Rice granting a merit scholarship in its stead. But, the rules were such that there was a hierarchy where you must accept the employer's scholarship if offered, and the school could offer only if you had not been offered one by someone else. I'm not sure if I could've gamed things differently if I'd known the implications, but college was far more affordable then than it is now.

I think was in a somewhat similar situation, but in the end I didn't come out behind.

If memory serves, "National Merit Scholarship Semifinalist" was what one was named for hitting some high threshold on the PSAT. All the semifinalists then applied to be National Merit Scholarship Finalists, which the NMS organization awarded based on essays and such. The finalists got money from the NMS organization itself ($2000 a year if memory serves), while semifinalists did not. However, most schools gave money to the semifinalists (generally all the same $3000 a year if memory serves).

Rice, like most others, didn't give their scholarship to people who were already going to get money from the NMS organization. I was a finalist, so I was going to get the $2000, and knew from Rice's literature that semifinalists were getting $3000. So early on when I first got to campus, I asked the relevant department, and they said they'd give a bridge scholarship for the $1000. I do remember there being uncertainty; can't remember if I only got it because I asked, or maybe it was a new program or something.

This was all back in the 90s ( I started in 95).