CSNbbs
Global Warming - Florida may split. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Global Warming - Florida may split. (/thread-732139.html)

Pages: 1 2

Global Warming - Florida may split. - No Bull - 03-23-2015 04:26 PM

Some brave leaders are getting prepared.

Orlando Sentinel Article

Back in October the City of South Miami passed a resolution suggesting that Florida should be split to create the 51st state. Now, the city has taken it one step further and is requesting a committee be formed to investigate the possibility of splitting the state in two.

The original resolution passed with a 3-2 vote at the city commission meeting on Oct. 7. It outlined the City of South Miami's concerns about global warming, the rising sea level and the impact that they could have in South Florida.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - ericsrevenge76 - 03-23-2015 04:33 PM

Less recounts in the future

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - HeartOfDixie - 03-23-2015 04:46 PM

How many states do we have now that have groups who want to form their own states?

California
Alabama
Colorado
Florida

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - UConn-SMU - 03-23-2015 06:06 PM

Only Texas is allowed to split into more than one state. Texas can divide itself into as many as five states, if it desires.

It won't happen.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - HeartOfDixie - 03-23-2015 06:12 PM

(03-23-2015 06:06 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  Only Texas is allowed to split into more than one state. Texas can divide itself into as many as five states, if it desires.

It won't happen.

That's an urban legend my friend.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - UConn-SMU - 03-23-2015 06:36 PM

(03-23-2015 06:12 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(03-23-2015 06:06 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  Only Texas is allowed to split into more than one state. Texas can divide itself into as many as five states, if it desires.

It won't happen.

I quickly read about a dozen articles. Texas was given the right to divide into as many as five states when it gave up independence to become a state in 1845.

But ... many of the articles say that clause is unconstitutional because it violates Article IV, Section 3 of the constitution that says a state can only subdivide with the permission of Congress.

I think there would be legal issue because it could be argued that Texas never would have joined the union if the special clause was ruled invalid. Texas was sold a bill of goods fraudulently. That might be a loophole for secession.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - hawghiggs - 03-23-2015 06:38 PM

I wouldn't mind if several states broke apart and formed new ones.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - Pyrizzo - 03-23-2015 06:49 PM

(03-23-2015 06:38 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  I wouldn't mind if several states broke apart and formed new ones.

I would. The last thing we need is gerrymandered states. It's bad enough as it is that districts are gerrymandered. No thanks. Plus, the less senators we have, the better.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - UConn-SMU - 03-23-2015 06:54 PM

(03-23-2015 06:49 PM)Pyrizzo Wrote:  
(03-23-2015 06:38 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  I wouldn't mind if several states broke apart and formed new ones.

I would. The last thing we need is gerrymandered states. It's bad enough as it is that districts are gerrymandered. No thanks. Plus, the less senators we have, the better.

Texas would never do it, even if it could. There something special about being a Texan. Being a "West Texan", "North Texan", or "South Texan" doesn't carry the same weight.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - sparkomemphis - 03-23-2015 07:02 PM

(03-23-2015 06:36 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(03-23-2015 06:12 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

It won't happen.

I quickly read about a dozen articles. Texas was given the right to divide into as many as five states when it gave up independence to become a state in 1845.

But ... many of the articles say that clause is unconstitutional because it violates Article IV, Section 3 of the constitution that says a state can only subdivide with the permission of Congress.

I think there would be legal issue because it could be argued that Texas never would have joined the union if the special clause was ruled invalid. Texas was sold a bill of goods fraudulently. That might be a loophole for secession.
Congress approved the treaty with the Republic of Texas which means that Texas has had "'permission of Congress" since 1845.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - Stick4489 - 03-23-2015 08:50 PM

(03-23-2015 04:46 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  How many states do we have now that have groups who want to form their own states?

California
Alabama
Colorado
Florida

[Image: 350pre_8d9c46502154102.jpg]

We freakin' did it.

04-rock

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-23-2015 08:57 PM

I wouldn't mind a bunch of them breaking off and forming a new country. The interesting thing to me is that whenever I read one of these articles talking about some proposed split, I find myself thinking that I would rather live in EITHER of the post-split countries than in what we have now.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - HeartOfDixie - 03-23-2015 08:59 PM

I can think of 5 or 6 countries I'd rather live in period.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - QuestionSocratic - 03-23-2015 09:05 PM

Screw breaking up. That only results in more governors and legislators and public employees.

We should be merging states.

Really, do we need both a North and South Dakota. Or a West Virginia.

For that matter, why do we have the counties of Rhode Island and Delaware that masquerade as states.

And who got drunk and set the border for Maryland.

We could get it down to 40 with a bit of creativity.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - UConn-SMU - 03-23-2015 09:31 PM

(03-23-2015 09:05 PM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  Screw breaking up. That only results in more governors and legislators and public employees.

For that matter, why do we have the counties of Rhode Island and Delaware that masquerade as states.

There was a show in TV (History Channel?) a couple years ago about how the states got their borders. It was pretty interesting.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - hawghiggs - 03-23-2015 10:25 PM

(03-23-2015 08:57 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

I wouldn't mind a bunch of them breaking off and forming a new country. The interesting thing to me is that whenever I read one of these articles talking about some proposed split, I find myself thinking that I would rather live in EITHER of the post-split countries than in what we have now.
Everybody wants a fresh start.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - DexterDevil - 03-23-2015 10:34 PM

(03-23-2015 09:05 PM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  Screw breaking up. That only results in more governors and legislators and public employees.

Who do you suggest WV merge with? Their culture isn't exactly the same as the surrounding states, maybe Kentucky, maybe.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - Fo Shizzle - 03-24-2015 05:56 AM

I support this.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - vandiver49 - 03-24-2015 07:40 AM

(03-23-2015 09:31 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  

There was a show in TV (History Channel?) a couple years ago about how the states got their borders. It was pretty interesting.

Yeah, How the States Got Their Shapes...the but the book was of course more detailed.

RE: Global Warming - Florida may split. - No Bull - 03-24-2015 09:52 AM

As a Floridiot myself I can tell you Florida has 3 distinc areas that could be broken up into states. The Panhandle,Central Florida, and South Florida. All three regions are very different from each other. Even the Keys are a region unto itself.

It is 681 miles from Miami to Pensacola.... I was born and raised in Florida and have never been west of Tallahassee. It is fairly common for someone from South or Central Florida to have never visited the Panhandle... but people from Georgia and Bama vist the Panhandle (redneck riviera) on a regular basis...