CSNbbs
Bad Idea - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Bad Idea (/thread-730710.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bad Idea - Terry - 03-14-2015 12:54 PM

Declining tournament invites is a bad idea:

1. Keeps younger players in their daily routines.

2. More practice time to start building for next year with younger players.

3. Lost opportunities to play teams you have hard time scheduling

4. Lost opportunities to show the school, fans, recruits, town, & nation you have a successful program. (Even if the year has been disappointing)

5. Lost recruiting opportunity.

6. Denies fans of a team reason to "cheer".....

7. Team & coaches need to show "a will to fight on"..."what ever it takes", no matter the obstacles that may be ahead

8. JUST WIN, BABY! JUST WIN!!!!!!!

RE: Bad Idea - eastisbest - 03-14-2015 01:19 PM

Don't know that I could argue against any of those points but there might be some reasons missing to us for the decision.

Possible it is an over-reaction by the coach but it could also be an accurate reading of the team and the program. There might be positives to be gained (though I don't know them) or negatives to be avoided by stopping at this time.

Sometimes, it's time to cut losses in order to build morale. Fans are not the only ones hurting. This is not a war. Maybe the student-athletes need time to move on, work on their studies, recover their health..

Bad Idea - Terry - 03-14-2015 01:29 PM

I forgot and left one out.....

9. Don't burn bridges....... In a lean year, whether Coach K is still here or someone else is coaching in 5 years or so, those tournaments may say "I remember how Toledo treated and talked about us in 2015.... Let them stay home". Or "You'll never, ever get an invite from us again!!!!!!!"

RE: Bad Idea - therockets046 - 03-14-2015 01:35 PM

I don't really like that we're acting like these are 'no-name' tournaments now, because sometime down the road (next year, maybe?) we may find ourselves with a team that's below the top tier in our conference but with hope for what lies ahead, who could really benefit from a couple extra weeks of basketball. Rather not have to sit and hope for the 'no-names' to come knocking on the door of the guys who shunned them this year...if they were even interested in us this year to begin with (who knows? other than MOB and TK). Or maybe I'm overthinking it too much. I like the chance to get different opponents on the schedule and/or into Savage. I miss the Bracket Buster games for that reason, even though its overall purpose was never fulfilled by our participation in it. We could have really used a Bracket Buster game last season.

Extra games are never a bad thing if you asked me, but that's just my personal, selfish opinion.

RE: Bad Idea - FMRocket - 03-14-2015 01:53 PM

(03-14-2015 12:54 PM)Terry Wrote:  Declining tournament invites is a bad idea:

1. Keeps younger players in their daily routines.

2. More practice time to start building for next year with younger players.

3. Lost opportunities to play teams you have hard time scheduling

4. Lost opportunities to show the school, fans, recruits, town, & nation you have a successful program. (Even if the year has been disappointing)

5. Lost recruiting opportunity.

6. Denies fans of a team reason to "cheer".....

7. Team & coaches need to show "a will to fight on"..."what ever it takes", no matter the obstacles that may be ahead

8. JUST WIN, BABY! JUST WIN!!!!!!!

All of the above !!!04-bow

RE: Bad Idea - Rocket Pirate - 03-14-2015 02:19 PM

(03-14-2015 01:29 PM)Terry Wrote:  I forgot and left one out.....

9. Don't burn bridges....... In a lean year, whether Coach K is still here or someone else is coaching in 5 years or so, those tournaments may say "I remember how Toledo treated and talked about us in 2015.... Let them stay home". Or "You'll never, ever get an invite from us again!!!!!!!"

If UT is worried about being shunned by the CIT and CBI tournaments (tournaments that BEG schools for money and participation every year), then that's much more of a problem than turning down these meaningless tournaments.

If nothing is being gained, if the players don't want to play, and if the associated costs don't match whatever benefits a team might get from one of these, then I don't see what the problem is with turning them down.

RE: Bad Idea - UofToledoFans - 03-14-2015 03:37 PM

I dont want to watch this team play home games vs. Oakland and Western Kentucky lol... If our seniors played with energy and you could tell they didnt want to end their season in the semi's we would have won those games to get to the championship. With this group... They should stay home. Let the younger guys sulk and know what its like to be at home in March to make sure it doesnt happen again. MOB has to allocate money where it needs to be... Thats probably not the CIT. Our fans dont want to see UT play either after the way that season went...

RE: Bad Idea - emanoh - 03-14-2015 04:50 PM

Yeah put a fork in them. These kids have checked out. If we want to buy into one of these mini tournaments in the future they will gladly take our money.

Bad Idea - adunifon - 03-14-2015 04:52 PM

Yeah -- no energy left in team or fan base after this disappointing season. Best move is to shut it down.

RE: Bad Idea - indianasniff - 03-14-2015 05:42 PM

TK quote. “If we're not in the NIT,” Kowalczyk said, “our season is over.”

So if NIT....

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

RE: Bad Idea - utpotts - 03-14-2015 09:47 PM

What in the past three weeks says this team is deserving of a post season tournament?

Nothing.

RE: Bad Idea - bcunn3128 - 03-14-2015 09:57 PM

(03-14-2015 09:47 PM)utpotts Wrote:  What in the past three weeks says this team is deserving of a post season tournament?

Nothing.

Thank you.

RE: Bad Idea - Rocket4Life - 03-14-2015 10:42 PM

(03-14-2015 09:47 PM)utpotts Wrote:  What in the past three weeks says this team is deserving of a post season tournament?

Nothing.

Yep. If they at least showed some heart and desire to win, I'd say let 'em play. But they didn't show either of those. No need to get embarrassed in the CIT or CBI.

Bad Idea - Terry - 03-14-2015 11:15 PM

(03-14-2015 03:37 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  I dont want to watch this team play home games vs. Oakland and Western Kentucky lol... If our seniors played with energy and you could tell they didnt want to end their season in the semi's we would have won those games to get to the championship. With this group... They should stay home. Let the younger guys sulk and know what its like to be at home in March to make sure it doesnt happen again. MOB has to allocate money where it needs to be... Thats probably not the CIT. Our fans dont want to see UT play either after the way that season went...

"Our fans"???? I'll show up and watch even no one else does.

Bad Idea - Terry - 03-14-2015 11:20 PM

Nothing.

There's that word again......or a form of it. "Deserving"

Toledo teams must "deserve" or be "deserving", but other schools fans don't require it of their teams.

RE: Bad Idea - eastisbest - 03-15-2015 06:13 AM

(03-14-2015 11:20 PM)Terry Wrote:  

Nothing.

Toledo teams must "deserve" or be "deserving", but other schools fans don't require it of their teams.

Exactly. If it is offered, then obviously it was deserved.

At some level I have to realize holding this team singly responsible for my 30 some year unfulfilled desire to make the NCAAs is ludicrous. Yes, they were favored. That only means that they are more disappointed than I am, CMU really plays a complete game and that is on their coaches. I doubt they outworked our guys. They were just worked better.

In a week, I'll be fine and grateful for all the entertainment. In a few years, we'll all be talking about the amazing plays, the dunks and probably still, the lack of defense, lol.

Wishing all the kids the best and special thanks to the Seniors.

RE: Bad Idea - Rocket Pirate - 03-15-2015 07:36 AM

(03-14-2015 11:20 PM)Terry Wrote:  

Nothing.

I don't buy into the "deserving" argument either. No, the team didn't meet possibly inflated expectations, but they still got 20 wins. Just because they aren't deserving of an NCAA or NIT bid doesn't mean they are not deserving of a bid into one of the two tournaments that begs for teams and money from those teams every season.

They deserve to get invited to one of the, in my opinion, meaningless pay-to-play tournaments. That said, I completely understand why the administration, coaches, and players don't want to play.

RE: Bad Idea - rocket 51 - 03-15-2015 10:41 AM

Agree with Terry on many points. I have a real issue that this group underperformed and thought that "swagger" had a darn thing to do with winning. Not a good image for TK to appear so high and mighty post game. Disagree with MOB for not at least having TK hold his thoughts about the "lesser" tourneys and at least appear grateful for another chance to continue to play even if they had decided on an NIT only approach. Why not think of the young kids? Getting them into a tourney environment is good experience. The seniors could have been offered the chance to come along but not required. I think there were real issues with this group and none of us will know about. Opportunity missed IMHO. Go Rockets!

RE: Bad Idea - bcunn3128 - 03-15-2015 11:43 AM

If I knew for certain that playrs like Garber, Hall, Mosely & Aubrey Williams would get at least 50% of the game minutes, then I would have been in favor of some kind of post-season play. I just don't believe that they would be invested in that heavily with 3 seniors.

RE: Bad Idea - FrickerRon - 03-15-2015 11:51 AM

(03-14-2015 01:29 PM)Terry Wrote:  I forgot and left one out.....

I feel that after we lost to CMU, their would be no get this team up. Why sit in the stands again, if we would get a home game and watch them perform the way they did in Cleveland. I am mad as hell about this season. Coach K needs some assistant coaches who know how to coach, extend the bench. Why do we have players on scholarships who don't play. If they aren't any good take the scholarships away.