CSNbbs
Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left (/thread-730683.html)

Pages: 1 2

Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - mempitt18 - 03-14-2015 10:01 AM

Penny Hardaway
Hear me out. The guy played point guard in the NBA for a long time, so I know he has a high BBIQ. Look at Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher who got NBA head coaching jobs with zero experience, at least Penny has coached AAU. He already has a connection to the Lawson's so Keelon will stay on the staff, He will actually be willing to hire an X and O's given his limited experience. No elite player from Memphis would leave to go somewhere else. He would an elite recruiter and has his strong Nike connection. He probably wouldn't cost too much given his lack of experience and fortunes made in the NBA. Besides Marshall, this the only hire that we could make that would make the whole country say wow. The only negative is I don't see him taking this job because he has no reason to, he is an icon at this point. What do you think

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - bubbapt - 03-14-2015 10:04 AM

That might not be the craziest idea.

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - holyterror - 03-14-2015 10:07 AM

Just pick a basketball genius at random from this board. Easily 8-10 hof coaches here.

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - TigersRuleAll - 03-14-2015 11:06 AM

Great idea!

Signed,
Clyde Drexler

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - Titans3775 - 03-14-2015 11:11 AM

I would rather have Pastner than Penny as coach. Penny gives us exactly what we have now with 6 less years of experience. Now he would probably be able to realize who his best players were way better than Pastner, but just no. I want a coach with experience and at least sniffing a S16 more than once.

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - TallTiger - 03-14-2015 11:13 AM

Wasn't Penny approached about being an assistant coach at one time in the past? Word was he was enjoying golf too much. Things change, I guess. Good idea, but wouldn't we want someone with at least some kind of coaching at the college level?

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - MTigerBlue - 03-14-2015 11:19 AM

Have you ever seen those ads on TV about forlorn kids wanting to get out of foster care? You know, the one that says, "You don't have to be a perfect parent." Same thing applies here.

Fans aren't looking for Sweet 16 - title game finishes every year or undefeated seasons or ex-NBA championship winners or someone who can leap tall buildings with a single bound and bend steel in his bare hands. People who make those types of claims have a problem with either intellectual honesty or inductive reasoning -- or both.

Find someone who passes the eye test and hire him.

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - bubbapt - 03-14-2015 11:20 AM

(03-14-2015 11:13 AM)TallTiger Wrote:  Wasn't Penny approached about being an assistant coach at one time in the past? Word was he was enjoying golf too much. Things change, I guess. Good idea, but wouldn't we want someone with at least some kind of coaching at the college level?

Probably the biggest reason he won't be the next coach. It would be seen as repeating past mistakes.

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - tigersroll - 03-14-2015 11:21 AM

(03-14-2015 10:07 AM)holyterror Wrote:  Just pick a basketball genius at random from this board. Easily 8-10 hof coaches here.

funny thing is 8-10 will give a better interview and talk more strategy about basketball instead of CJP.

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - true_blue_thru_and_thru - 03-14-2015 11:22 AM

Cool story bro but let's just ask Phil Jackson first.

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - fensterman - 03-14-2015 11:22 AM

Pastner is the perfect candidate, for this mid-major program.

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - HometownTiger - 03-14-2015 11:28 AM

(03-14-2015 11:06 AM)TigersRuleAll Wrote:  Great idea!

Signed,
Clyde Drexler

LOL!

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - HometownTiger - 03-14-2015 11:29 AM

Penny has a standing offer to join the staff. He had started before that he would like to get into college coaching but wants to take his time. Not in a rush.

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - true_blue_thru_and_thru - 03-14-2015 11:52 AM

(03-14-2015 11:29 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Penny has a standing offer to join the staff. He had started before that he would like to get into college coaching but wants to take his time. Not in a rush.

That's interesting. I think Josh's goal this summer should be to get a "bench coach" but I would like to see Antonio Anderson make his way to our bench eventually. That dude coached his teammates on the floor more than any other Tiger I know.

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - tee bee - 03-14-2015 11:57 AM

Archie Miller

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - btiger - 03-14-2015 12:06 PM

Wouldn't be conducive to improving his golf game

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - Antonio5fan - 03-14-2015 12:50 PM

Now stop and think about this guys: It would be like asking the Rolling Stones if they want to start playing 6 nights a week from 9 to 3 on Beale St. for peanuts. Why would they do it? They wouldn't. Why would Penny Hardaway with 80 million dollars in the bank want to come to U of M and coach NCAA basketball for 3Million a year.

He doesn't need to work that hard. We're talking about long hours of practice, plane rides and walking in to kitchen's like the one he grew up in to recruit, then doing a coaches show for $10K a year not to mention having to get merchants to do promotions to fill the upper seats to help justify his salary i.e. Calipari.

Great NBA stars usually don't make that good of coaches. They hate zone defenses after being in the NBA. They expect these kids to have the same level of commitment they had which is not always the case. They want them to give 110% like they were willing to do. Only elite level players have that kind of drive.

I would love it if it was practical and workable but it's not. If Penny wanted to seriously coach he would be getting offers from the NBA (no recruiting). Sure there are former NBA players who are coaching but very few if any left with the kind of money Penny did. It's a great thought but not a realistic one.

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - Antonio5fan - 03-14-2015 12:51 PM

(03-14-2015 11:52 AM)true_blue_thru_and_thru Wrote:  
(03-14-2015 11:29 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Penny has a standing offer to join the staff. He had started before that he would like to get into college coaching but wants to take his time. Not in a rush.

That's interesting. I think Josh's goal this summer should be to get a "bench coach" but I would like to see Antonio Anderson make his way to our bench eventually. That dude coached his teammates on the floor more than any other Tiger I know.

YES X 1000.

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - mempitt18 - 03-07-2018 12:51 AM

Bump

RE: Perfect candidate to replace Pastner if he left - fsquid - 03-07-2018 12:52 AM

been waiting 3 years?