CSNbbs
Alternate History: Kurdistan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+----- Forum: The Buckley-Vidal No Spin Room (/forum-970.html)
+----- Thread: Alternate History: Kurdistan (/thread-729651.html)

Alternate History: Kurdistan - TStatebobcat - 03-06-2015 11:21 PM

I was just checking out some history of the Kurdish people and saw these tidbits.

August 10, 1920 - (TURKEY) - The Treaty of Sèvres outlines the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire, with Turkey renouncing rights over certain areas in Asia and North Africa. It calls for the recognition of new independent states, including an autonomous Kurdistan. It is never ratified.

July 24, 1923 - (TURKEY) - The Allies and the former Ottoman Empire sign and ratify the Treaty of Lausanne, which recognizes Turkey as an independent nation. In the final treaty marking the conclusion of World War I, the Allies drop demands for an autonomous Turkish Kurdistan. The Kurdish region is eventually divided among several countries.

What if Kurdistan had ratified as an independent state. Would it have been just one of the many Middle-east countries that hate us or one of our best allies in the region. Would an autonomous Kurdistan have a stabilizing effect in the middle east today?

RE: Alternate History: Kurdistan - ClairtonPanther - 05-02-2015 04:03 AM

I'd lean towards hating us.

RE: Alternate History: Kurdistan - Kittonhead - 07-12-2015 11:42 PM

The biggest mistake in the partition of the Ottoman Empire is to spread the Kurdish lands between Turkey, Syria and Iraq.

That territory outlined for the Kurds was going to be land locked and only cover like 25% of their ethnic territory. It may have well all been put into Turkey adding wealth there and treated less as a backwater.

Then with Turkey joining NATO in 1952 the Kurdistan region would be counted as an ally though Soviet Union would have funded Kurdish revolutionaries in the autonomous region. As an independent state Kurdistan might have been outright annexed by the end of World War II.