CSNbbs
Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs (/thread-729485.html)

Pages: 1 2

Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - ctipton - 03-06-2015 12:06 AM

Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs
Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com 4:22 p.m. EST March 5, 2015

[Image: 635611451417374929-LarryMegVogel.jpg]
Associate head coach Larry Davis and the Bearcats have punched their ticket to the NCAAs, experts say. (Photo: The Enquirer/Meg Vogel)

NCAA bracketologists Joe Lunardi (ESPN) and Jerry Palm (CBS Sports) both said the Cincinnati Bearcats are now a lock for the NCAA basketball tournament field, after UC beat Tulsa 56-47 on the Golden Hurricanes' home floor Wednesday night.

UC had faced several must-win situations in the last two weeks as it drives for an NCAA tournament bid. Wednesday's win at Tulsa, UC's sixth over a top-50 RPI team, was as big as they come.

UC (21-9, 12-5 American Athletic Conference) came into the home of league leader Tulsa (21-8, 14-3 AAC) and delivered, holding the Golden Hurricane to their second lowest point total of the season.

Three takeaways from the game, as UC prepares for its regular season finale Sunday (noon) at home against Memphis:

NCAA bid seems secure

Palm and Lunardi both confirmed via text to The Enquirer on Thursday morning that they now consider UC a lock for the NCAA field. Most major prognosticators, also including USA Today (Shelby Mast), had also projected UC into the field before the Tulsa game. But the Tulsa game seems to have removed any doubt.

For now, Palm lists UC as a No. 8 NCAA seed, Lunardi has UC has a No. 10 and Mast has the Bearcats a No. 11 seed.

UC head coach Mick Cronin said the Bearcats are taking no chances, saying his team is focused on beating Memphis on Sunday.

"Coach (Larry) Davis has us locked in, playing one game at a time, and we need to stay that way," Cronin said via text Thursday morning.

UC associate head coach Davis has been running the team from the sidelines, with Cronin out for medical reasons. UC is now 14-7 since Davis took over Dec. 20, but Cronin continues in an advisory role behind the scenes.

Essentially, the AAC tournament next week (Hartford, Conn.) should now be all gravy for UC.

Cobb could be key down stretch

Junior shooting guard Farad Cobb led UC with 22 points on Wednesday, just behind his season high 24.

When Cobb is on, it's a sight to behold and gives UC another dimension. The Bearcats have lacked a consistent go-to scorer and Cobb, their best pure shooter, could make a big difference at tournament time. He certainly did Wednesday.

Cobb had a feeling Tulsa would be a good venue for him.

"We came to pre-game shootaround, I was shooting on the goal and I was like, 'I like these rims,' " Cobb said, smiling. "They seemed wide for some reason, I don't know why. I knew it was going to be a pretty good night."

Point guard Troy Caupain said of Cobb: "He can stick the Jimmy." Meaning, the jump shot.

How does UC keep winning? Defense, defense, defense

UC has ranked in the top 10 nationally most of the season in scoring defense (currently No. 6, at 55.2 ppg). The Bearcats held Tulsa to 34 percent shooting, despite UC having a stretch of a combined seven minutes without scoring.

UC generally plays a matchup zone, with man-to-man sprinkled in. On a team that is offensively challenged, UC keeps winning by shutting the other team down.

"Our coaches do a good job of telling us that our games that we play are never going to be won on the offensive end," Caupain said. "You lock in, you buy into the rotations, you load the box where it needs to be loaded and you close out on shooters. Our big men box out and all five guys have got to rebound.

"You stay locked into those details, it's kind of hard to lose focus. That's what we did (Wednesday), we bought into those details and it helped us out."

-

Quote:UP NEXT

UC vs. Memphis

When: Noon Sunday

Where: Fifth Third Arena

TV/Radio: CBS Sports, 700 WLW

Records: UC 21-9 (12-5 AAC), Memphis *17-12 (*9-7 AAC)

*Records entering Thursday night game at UConn

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2015/03/05/takeaways-from-uc-tulsa-bearcats-rated-lock-for-ncaas/24426951/

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - mac6115cd - 03-06-2015 06:44 AM

This team's come a long way this season. When it started, most of us were just hoping for a NCAA bid, then Mick is out and Davis takes over. This young team has matured greatly and will only get better. 03-cloud9

Davis is certainly AAC Coach of the Year and should be in the running Nationally. 04-cheers

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - BcatMatt13 - 03-06-2015 07:06 AM

Any word on who is announcing the game Sunday for CBS?

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - rath v2.0 - 03-06-2015 08:35 AM

Dollahs to dahnuts the little leprechaun.

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - BeerCat - 03-06-2015 08:58 AM

Wow, I went to set up my CVR and naturally went to CBS Sport Network, didn't see it, got a little nervous.

On network TV finally, big time baby.

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - Crewdogz - 03-06-2015 10:49 AM

(03-06-2015 06:44 AM)mac6115cd Wrote:  This team's come a long way this season. When it started, most of us were just hoping for a NCAA bid, then Mick is out and Davis takes over. This young team has matured greatly and will only get better. 03-cloud9

Davis is certainly AAC Coach of the Year and should be in the running Nationally. 04-cheers

The program will probably lose Coach Davis next year after the stellar job he has done.

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - WalterSobchak - 03-06-2015 10:57 AM

(03-06-2015 08:35 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Dollahs to dahnuts the little leprechaun.

Shouldn't let that a$$ hole in the door. Oh well, I sit center court right behind the announcers. I have ruined more then one announcer's evening. Mike Jarvis comes to mind. I have had those seats for 15 years. Got them when I was 34. Worth every penny. I go ballistic every game. I called Denny Crum, Dummy Crum right to his face when he infiltrated our section for a Lousyville game. It took the "red sweater crowd" some time to adjust but now they love it. So be easy on them. They are the people shelling out the coin to keep things going. Fair warning Pete. You are not welcome.

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - mikecat - 03-06-2015 11:00 AM

(03-06-2015 08:35 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Dollahs to dahnuts the little leprechaun.
Please NO!

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - mikecat - 03-06-2015 11:01 AM

if i hear its 1oclock in Cincy and the Bank is open I may shoot myself

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - BeerCat - 03-06-2015 11:24 AM

(03-06-2015 10:57 AM)WalterSobchak Wrote:  

Shouldn't let that a$$ hole in the door. Oh well, I sit center court right behind the announcers. I have ruined more then one announcer's evening. Mike Jarvis comes to mind. I have had those seats for 15 years. Got them when I was 34. Worth every penny. I go ballistic every game. I called Denny Crum, Dummy Crum right to his face when he infiltrated our section for a Lousyville game. It took the "red sweater crowd" some time to adjust but now they love it. So be easy on them. They are the people shelling out the coin to keep things going. Fair warning Pete. You are not welcome.

It took me awhile to even figure out who you guys were talking about. I really liked Gillen and that Blackburn guy. I would say they were probably the best announcers we've had all year, not that that's saying much.

Also, it seemed to me that Gillen was very pro UC in his announcing the other night.

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - indycat - 03-06-2015 11:29 AM

Agree that Gillen was pro-UC for the most part which begs the question; is that the real Pete Gillen? If so, it must have been his evil twin coaching on Victory Parkway and always taking cheap shots at UC all those years.

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - Bearcats#1 - 03-06-2015 11:32 AM

I thought Gillen did a nice job. His comments were accurate and fair. I was really shocked lol.

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - WalterSobchak - 03-06-2015 11:39 AM

No. F**k him. He is a fake. That crap in 1994 with Gillen yelling at Huggins from the bench and the handshake snub. Screw him. You never change at the core. NO QUARTER!!!!!

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - Beelzebubba - 03-06-2015 11:52 AM

I thought Calhoun was good! Better than Gillen.

To elaborate, I felt he had a good handle on the Cats having played them with MC at the helm. And of course the National Titles.

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - BeerCat - 03-06-2015 01:12 PM

(03-06-2015 11:52 AM)Beelzebubba Wrote:  I thought Calhoun was good! Better than Gillen.

To elaborate, I felt he had a good handle on the Cats having played them with MC at the helm. And of course the National Titles.

Very true, I forgot about Calhoun. I do enjoy him doing the games.

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - BeerCat - 03-06-2015 01:12 PM

(03-06-2015 11:39 AM)WalterSobchak Wrote:  No. F**k him. He is a fake. That crap in 1994 with Gillen yelling at Huggins from the bench and the handshake snub. Screw him. You never change at the core. NO QUARTER!!!!!

I just hear Walter's voice screaming this. It's fun.

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - rath v2.0 - 03-06-2015 01:18 PM

(03-06-2015 11:52 AM)Beelzebubba Wrote:  I thought Calhoun was good! Better than Gillen.

I thought Calhoun, was too. Only coach to actually flip me off. I respect him immensely for that.

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - chatcat - 03-06-2015 01:22 PM

(03-06-2015 11:32 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I thought Gillen did a nice job. His comments were accurate and fair. I was really shocked lol.

In the Fall of 2005, at the Broken Egg restaurant in Siesta Key, Fl., Dick Vitale told me that the new head coach at UC would be either Rick Majaerus (sp?) or Pete Gillen. I almost lost my breakfast on his table.

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - rath v2.0 - 03-06-2015 01:23 PM

(03-06-2015 01:12 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 11:39 AM)WalterSobchak Wrote:  No. F**k him. He is a fake. That crap in 1994 with Gillen yelling at Huggins from the bench and the handshake snub. Screw him. You never change at the core. NO QUARTER!!!!!

Oh please scream "Shut the **** up Pastner, you're out of your element!"

RE: Takeaways from UC-Tulsa: Bearcats rated lock for NCAAs - WalterSobchak - 03-06-2015 02:07 PM

(03-06-2015 01:23 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 01:12 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  

Oh please scream "Shut the **** up Pastner, you're out of your element!"

You got it Rath! THIS IS A LEAGUE GAME!