CSNbbs
Pastner Report Card - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Pastner Report Card (/thread-729152.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Pastner Report Card - chadgatlin - 03-03-2015 06:23 PM

Yesterday on Rainman's show over on Sports 56 he and Whitey Mills went over an evaluation or "report card" criteria for Josh Pastner as a coach. They just put the categories out there for anyone to take into consideration for themselves and give a letter grade. I thought this was such a great way to really evaluate - emotion free - Coach Pastner's performance that I asked if I could use it myself.

Whitey has not only agreed, but will be on the show to explain the origins of the "report card". I have put it below, so that you guys can give feedback as to your grades for the coach. You can also call the show tonight with your conclusions at (901) 475-9355.

The show will be live beginning at 8pm on wkbl1250.com/listen-live . I look forward to hearing from you guys!

For each of the nine categories, assign Josh a grade of “A” through “F”, with “A” being the highest possible. You can give + or – grades such as a C-.

1. Ability to motivate players
2. Recruiting – attracting top quality prospects, getting players enrolled and retaining recruits
3. Game planning
4. Play calling
5. Player execution of plays
6. In game adaptability
7. Selection of assistant coaches
8. How does Josh conduct interviews?
9. Does Josh do a good job of selling the Memphis basketball program?
10. (Added by Chad) Player Development

RE: Pastner Report Card - Stammers - 03-03-2015 06:27 PM

(03-03-2015 06:23 PM)chadgatlin Wrote:  Yesterday on Rainman's show over on Sports 56 he and Whitey Mills went over an evaluation or "report card" criteria for Josh Pastner as a coach. They just put the categories out there for anyone to take into consideration for themselves and give a letter grade. I thought this was such a great way to really evaluate - emotion free - Coach Pastner's performance that I asked if I could use it myself.

Whitey has not only agreed, but will be on the show to explain the origins of the "report card". I have put it below, so that you guys can give feedback as to your grades for the coach. You can also call the show tonight with your conclusions at (901) 475-9355.

The show will be live beginning at 8pm on wkbl1250.com/listen-live . I look forward to hearing from you guys!

For each of the nine categories, assign Josh a grade of “A” through “F”, with “A” being the highest possible. You can give + or – grades such as a C-.

2. Recruiting – attracting top quality prospects, getting players enrolled and retaining recruits
3. Game planning
4. Play calling
6. In game adaptability

Every year is different and you could also give an overall score that would look much different if you gave it at the end of the last 3 seasons, including this one.

RE: Pastner Report Card - Strat57 - 03-03-2015 06:51 PM

You lost me at Rainman. 03-lmfao

RE: Pastner Report Card - macgar32 - 03-03-2015 06:55 PM

(03-03-2015 06:23 PM)chadgatlin Wrote:  Yesterday on Rainman's show over on Sports 56 he and Whitey Mills went over an evaluation or "report card" criteria for Josh Pastner as a coach. They just put the categories out there for anyone to take into consideration for themselves and give a letter grade. I thought this was such a great way to really evaluate - emotion free - Coach Pastner's performance that I asked if I could use it myself.

3. Game planning
4. Play calling
6. In game adaptability

Seems the questions are skewed to be answered negatively

RE: Pastner Report Card - Tigers2008 - 03-03-2015 07:04 PM

(03-03-2015 06:51 PM)Strat57 Wrote:  You lost me at Rainman. 03-lmfao

Me Too.

RE: Pastner Report Card - Stammers - 03-03-2015 07:13 PM

(03-03-2015 06:55 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

3. Game planning
4. Play calling
6. In game adaptability

No kidding. Nothing about actual wins or NCAA appearances.

RE: Pastner Report Card - 450bench - 03-03-2015 07:18 PM

F-

RE: Pastner Report Card - Tiger Greg - 03-03-2015 07:38 PM

(03-03-2015 07:18 PM)450bench Wrote:  F-

I agree if you are talking about the OP.

RE: Pastner Report Card - TigerSeth - 03-03-2015 08:19 PM

1. Ability to motivate players-F
2. Recruiting – attracting top quality prospects, getting players enrolled and retaining recruits-B-
3. Game planning D
4. Play calling F
5. Player execution of plays F
6. In game adaptability F
7. Selection of assistant coaches D
8. How does Josh conduct interviews? F-
9. Does Josh do a good job of selling the Memphis basketball program? C
10. (Added by Chad) Player Development-F-

RE: Pastner Report Card - roundhouse74 - 03-03-2015 08:36 PM

(03-03-2015 08:19 PM)TigerSeth Wrote:  1. Ability to motivate players-F
2. Recruiting – attracting top quality prospects, getting players enrolled and retaining recruits-B-
3. Game planning D
4. Play calling F
5. Player execution of plays F
6. In game adaptability F
7. Selection of assistant coaches D
9. Does Josh do a good job of selling the Memphis basketball program? C
10. (Added by Chad) Player Development-F-

Yep. It's amazing that every coach who has ever lost to one of Pastner's teams hasn't been fired.

Pastner Report Card - tigergg - 03-03-2015 08:48 PM

1. Ability to motivate players- F
2.Recruiting- C - but 90% of the players he has gotten were coming here regardless of the Coach IMO..
3. Game Planning- D
4. Play Calling- F
5. Player execution of plays- F
6. In game adaptability- F
7. Selection of assistant coaches- don't know enough about them so - C
8. Interviews- F a big fat one
9. Selling the program- C
10. Player Development- F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Pastner Report Card - thagr82008 - 03-03-2015 08:59 PM

(03-03-2015 08:48 PM)tigergg Wrote:  1. Ability to motivate players- F
2.Recruiting- C - but 90% of the players he has gotten were coming here regardless of the Coach IMO..
3. Game Planning- D
4. Play Calling- F
5. Player execution of plays- F
6. In game adaptability- F
7. Selection of assistant coaches- don't know enough about them so - C
8. Interviews- F a big fat one
9. Selling the program- C

I concur wholeheartedly with this TigerGG!!!.... but in my opinion, these are categories that are already exploited in many posts where we are labeled as p_ssing on Josh!!! These are just the facts but I will assure you that certain posters will dare to entertain this post because these are the criteria that Josh and ONLY josh can be graded upon.....This elimin8s the many scapegoats and variables that the "JP shampoo" users dare to address 05-stirthepot

RE: Pastner Report Card - croppi33 - 03-03-2015 09:03 PM

1. Ability to motivate players- D
2. Recruiting – attracting top quality prospects, getting players enrolled and retaining recruits- C+
3. Game planning- C-
4. Play calling- C
5. Player execution of plays- C
6. In game adaptability- D-
7. Selection of assistant coaches- C-
8. How does Josh conduct interviews?- D
9. Does Josh do a good job of selling the Memphis basketball program?- D
10. (Added by Chad) Player Development- F

RE: Pastner Report Card - bluecrew - 03-03-2015 09:14 PM

1. Ability to motivate players- D
2. Recruiting – attracting top quality prospects, getting players enrolled and retaining recruits- B but trending downward
3. Game planning- D
4. Play calling- D
5. Player execution of plays- C
6. In game adaptability- LOL F
7. Selection of assistant coaches- D
9. Does Josh do a good job of selling the Memphis basketball program? To what audience? Potential recruits? F
10. (Added by Chad) Player Development- Good Lord FF-

RE: Pastner Report Card - MemphisTigerPawr - 03-03-2015 09:15 PM

Ok, I tried to answer these honestly. I added 4 questions I think are important in grading him, bringing the total to 14. Because he does some things very well he will grade close to a C but my averages show it is a D...a very solid D. I'll grant you this is based after his worst season but I tried to be objective. Based upon the first 10 questions he would score a solid C but there are other factors that I felt should be included to make an honest evaluation.

C 1. Ability to motivate players
A 2. Recruiting – attracting top quality prospects, getting players enrolled and retaining recruits
D3. Game planning
F 4. Play calling
D5. Player execution of plays
F 6. In game adaptability
D7. Selection of assistant coaches
B 8. How does Josh conduct interviews?
B 9. Does Josh do a good job of selling the Memphis basketball program?
C 10. (Added by Chad) Player Development
F 11. Working the officials
F 12. Post Season Performance
D 13. Overall fan experience during Pastners tenure
A 14. Perception nationally of Pastners and the Basketball programs "clean" factor

Now I really like Pastner but if I'm grading him, well, he needs to give the University back his salary for this year ala Bobby Knight if he wants to endear himself to the fans and set an example for the standard he wants to establish here. His performance is unacceptable at 2 million plus and he may get one more year, but I can promise you if he doesn't turn it around next season he needs to and will be gone. Based upon the grade he probably needs to go now and I'm one that thinks he needs to stay just because I dont know if we will do better. I think he needs a strong assistant and mentor. If he gave back his salary, for just this year, it would pay for that assistant for quite some time and perhaps save his job, otherwise his chances of turning this around don't look very good. Just looking at the grades I'm convinced we can do better, I hate it because Pastner is such a upstanding man, but he is not getting the job done as a basketball coach on the court. He is a recruiter and a role model, a head coach? It doesn't look like it and our inability to win vs. top 50 schools is telling. I think he did a great job holding everything together for a few years but it looks like we may have seen his best unless he gets a legit assistant to TCB.

RE: Pastner Report Card - thagr82008 - 03-03-2015 09:22 PM

1. Ability to motivate players- F+
2.Recruiting- C +
3. Game Planning- D+
4. Play Calling- D+
5. Player execution of plays- D+
6. In game adaptability- D
7. Selection of assistant coaches- don't know enough about them so - C+
8. Interviews- F+
9. Selling the program- D+

I really like the players that Josh has been able to get.....and most importantly how they have conducted themselves away from the court!

In gameplanning...Josh seems to have gotten a little better as of l8.....We seem to jump out to a nice lead on competent teams.....however that lead tends to evapor8 due to 4,5,6

I don't feel that Josh is a salesman....Just in comparison to THIS category ONLY!!!!! He is .0009 of what Cal was in terms of marketing/promotions of this program....Persons/media are more adept to the way he runs the program IE,bringing in players that have a troubled past and bringing them along to be ambassadors and good role figures....those aspects speak more loudly than Josh promoting and rallying the masses around Memphis

RE: Pastner Report Card - OneShiningMoment - 03-03-2015 09:23 PM

(03-03-2015 07:04 PM)Tigers2008 Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 06:51 PM)Strat57 Wrote:  You lost me at Rainman. 03-lmfao

Me Too.

Me Three

Pastner Report Card - mullinsworld - 03-03-2015 09:32 PM

(03-03-2015 07:13 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 06:55 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

3. Game planning
4. Play calling
6. In game adaptability

No kidding. Nothing about actual wins or NCAA appearances.

What does it matter that almost all of the wins and appearances come in CUSA? I think we need to be realists. Ask yourself if L'ville or even Xavier or Gonzaga would put up with the low scores CJP should get. These are valid criteria. Ask yourself how Cal would have scored or Mark Few. That's what we should be reaching for.

RE: Pastner Report Card - HoopDreams - 03-03-2015 10:01 PM

2, 7, and 9, I'll go A, B, A.

The rest are Cs.

RE: Pastner Report Card - Trapper John - 03-03-2015 10:36 PM

I know a lot of people disagree, but I think you have to include graduation rates, GPA, and off the court behavior in any report card exercise for a collegiate head coach. It won't excuse low grades in the other categories, but it also can't be flat out ignored.