CSNbbs
6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in (/thread-728495.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - CrushMI - 02-27-2015 12:09 AM

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/02/conference-usa-could-have-many-seven-bowl-bids-2015

Dallas
NM
Bahamas
St. Pete
Miami
NO

Tie-in: Shreveport

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - Saint Greg - 02-27-2015 12:19 AM

Good. Now we have to fill them. We could've filled 7 last year.

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - goherd24herdfans - 02-27-2015 12:56 AM

I didn't know we have a tie in for New Orleans or Miami this season. Good news.

Hopefully can get some p5 matchups for our teams this season in the independence bowl too. Nothing worse than having a good season then your reward is a damn MAC team.

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - Afflicted - 02-27-2015 12:57 AM

YES! As a Rice fan, I'm particularly excited. We get the Heart of Dallas and New Orleans Bowls right here in our back yard, not to mention the secondary Independence tie-in. The New Mexico Bowl is perfect for UTEP or UTSA. Both would take a lot of fans. Southern Mississippi will be in the running this year for a bowl. Way to go CUSA! C'mon FAU and FIU. Get those Florida bowls!

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - stinkfist - 02-27-2015 05:06 AM

(02-27-2015 12:57 AM)Afflicted Wrote:  YES! As a Rice fan, I'm particularly excited. We get the Heart of Dallas and New Orleans Bowls right here in our back yard, not to mention the secondary Independence tie-in. The New Mexico Bowl is perfect for UTEP or UTSA. Both would take a lot of fans. Southern Mississippi will be in the running this year for a bowl. Way to go CUSA! C'mon FAU and FIU. Get those Florida bowls!

I really like this lineup.....this is 'opportunity year' for southern miss

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - ESE84 - 02-27-2015 06:40 AM

(02-27-2015 12:57 AM)Afflicted Wrote:  YES! As a Rice fan, I'm particularly excited. We get the Heart of Dallas and New Orleans Bowls right here in our back yard, not to mention the secondary Independence tie-in. The New Mexico Bowl is perfect for UTEP or UTSA. Both would take a lot of fans. Southern Mississippi will be in the running this year for a bowl. Way to go CUSA! C'mon FAU and FIU. Get those Florida bowls!

Agree. This is a very good line-up for the West. The East programs can grumble a bit. I doubt UTEP will be happy going back to Albuquerque, and UTSA has an out of conference schedule that makes 6 wins a real challenge. Should be interesting to watch Louisiana Tech, Rice and UTEP battle it out with Southern Miss a dark horse. Hope that Shreveport tie-in comes through this year!

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - WKUFan518 - 02-27-2015 08:13 AM

Really good to hear, sounds like if you get to 6 wins next season you are go bowling somewhere next season..As a WKU fan hoping for New Orleans or St. Pete...Still wish their was a bowl a little closer but I will take the 6 tie ins...

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - MinerInWisconsin - 02-27-2015 08:43 AM

With only 12 football teams that can gain bowl eligibility, at least half of those will go bowling if they get 6 wins. Charlotte will be in the same position as ODU last year, still transitioning to FBS. If we get all 7 spots then we need to win a good percentage of OOC games to have that many teams bowl eligible. Good chance that all our bowl eligible teams will be bowling.

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - pilot172000 - 02-27-2015 09:24 AM

That is an excellent line up. Tech has a chance to play in one of 3 Bowl games withing 3 hours of Ruston. Thats awesome.

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - demiveeman - 02-27-2015 09:26 AM

03-puke03-puke03-puke
03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - Artifice - 02-27-2015 09:46 AM

Not knocking the bowl line up, but I'd trade two of those lesser bowls for another shot at a P5 team. This league needs as many chances as possible to matchup its best with theirs (or, more likely, their 3rd-6th place teams).

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - MinerInWisconsin - 02-27-2015 09:51 AM

(02-27-2015 09:46 AM)Artifice Wrote:  Not knocking the bowl line up, but I'd trade two of those lesser bowls for another shot at a P5 team. This league needs as many chances as possible to matchup its best with theirs (or, more likely, their 3rd-6th place teams).

Have one of our teams qualify for the Access bowl this coming season and we will have 2 games vs P5 teams. And we have 2 games vs AAC, 1 vs MWC, 1 vs SBC, 1 vs MAC and 1 vs Big 12 (if they have enough teams qualify for all their bowls). Not a bad lineup at all. Add in the Indy and there is another P5 possibility.

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - WKUFan518 - 02-27-2015 09:57 AM

The Access Spot I have a feeling will be named the Boise St. spot...

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - RedParallax - 02-27-2015 09:57 AM

I'm glad to see CUSA won't be getting the Hawaii Bowl this coming season. What a ****** bowl for 2-3 weeks of planning and resulting costs.

IMO, this is a pretty sub-par bowl lineup when you compare it to what the AAC gets in the Birmingham Bowl (vs SEC), Military Bowl (vs ACC), every-other-year Armed Forces (Big 12), their alternating-years tie for the Bitcoin Bowl being vs ACC, and their backup agreement for the Liberty, Independence, and Poinsettia Bowls (vs SEC or ACC) similar to our deal with the Independence.

Anyone can grumble about the AAC and which conference is better this year, last year, or the next year, but the bottom line is that's the best lineup of bowl tie-ins for a G5 conference and it's not even really close when you consider CUSA's tie-ins and the fact that the MWC has 1 bowl game against the PAC12, which is their only P5 tie-in bowl.

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - ThreeifbyLightning - 02-27-2015 09:59 AM

(02-27-2015 06:40 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  

Agree. This is a very good line-up for the West. The East programs can grumble a bit. I doubt UTEP will be happy going back to Albuquerque, and UTSA has an out of conference schedule that makes 6 wins a real challenge. Should be interesting to watch Louisiana Tech, Rice and UTEP battle it out with Southern Miss a dark horse. Hope that Shreveport tie-in comes through this year!

I'm pleased with this. I would happily take St Pete or Miami. But once again we'll be in the Bahamas if we actually get to a bowl this year.

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - pilot172000 - 02-27-2015 10:15 AM

(02-27-2015 09:57 AM)RedParallax Wrote:  I'm glad to see CUSA won't be getting the Hawaii Bowl this coming season. What a ****** bowl for 2-3 weeks of planning and resulting costs.

IMO, this is a pretty sub-par bowl lineup when you compare it to what the AAC gets in the Birmingham Bowl (vs SEC), Military Bowl (vs ACC), every-other-year Armed Forces (Big 12), their alternating-years tie for the Bitcoin Bowl being vs ACC, and their backup agreement for the Liberty, Independence, and Poinsettia Bowls (vs SEC or ACC) similar to our deal with the Independence.

Anyone can grumble about the AAC and which conference is better this year, last year, or the next year, but the bottom line is that's the best lineup of bowl tie-ins for a G5 conference and it's not even really close when you consider CUSA's tie-ins and the fact that the MWC has 1 bowl game against the PAC12, which is their only P5 tie-in bowl.

Well I think its a great line up with several solid bowls. You can do the whole me too thing with the AAC all you want, just keep in mind that they were a BCS conference only a few short years ago that that has some residual affect. Just keep winning and things will always get better.

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - RedParallax - 02-27-2015 10:21 AM

(02-27-2015 10:15 AM)pilot172000 Wrote:  
(02-27-2015 09:57 AM)RedParallax Wrote:  I'm glad to see CUSA won't be getting the Hawaii Bowl this coming season. What a ****** bowl for 2-3 weeks of planning and resulting costs.

Well I think its a great line up with several solid bowls. You can do the whole me too thing with the AAC all you want, just keep in mind that they were a BCS conference only a few short years ago that that has some residual affect. Just keep winning and things will always get better.

I don't really see the AAC as the Big East of old since like 99% of their roster is completely different. Legally, sure, it's the former Big East if you want to look at it that way.

I can totally understand that the former WAC and Sun Belt schools really enjoy this lineup since you were used to having like 2-3 bowls each year or whatever you had, but it just feels like there's been no real improvement in the actual programs we play in the bowls, at least for us CUSA programs that have been around a while.

EDIT: Found a link for past bowl games and came up with the following break down since 2000:

2000-2001: 4 bowl games, 1 P5
2002-2007, 2009-2012, 2014: 5 bowl games (1 P5 in '02, '03, '05, '12, and '14; 0 P5 in 2004; 2 P5 in '06, '07, '09-'11)
2008: 6 bowl games, 2 P5 (Big East, SEC)
2013: 6 bowl games, 2 P5 (ACC, SEC)
2015: 6 bowl games, 1 P5 (Big 12)

We had 2 P5 bowl games from 2006-2011, as well as 2013. This was impacted by the Big East's fall from grace as an automatic qualifier, so counting that as somewhat of an anomalous variable, I suppose you could say we've stood pat at the number of quality bowls throughout the years.

Also note that 2015 is just what's projected and it seems this is all in constant state of flux with programs getting traded amongst bowls almost every year, so who knows how it'll end up. Just interesting to see how it all broke down in the recent past.

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - ThreeifbyLightning - 02-27-2015 10:45 AM

Losing the Liberty Bowl hurt in that regard, because that was usually against the SEC.

Granted it was typically the worst of the bowl eligible SEC teams, but the world just saw it as an SEC team. Oooh. S...E...C. Aaah

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - HarborPointe - 02-27-2015 10:59 AM

Once again, don't treat bowls vs. other G5s with disdain in one breath and then gripe about the media treating our own programs with disdain in the next. You can't have it both ways.

RE: 6 guaranteed bowls + 1 tie-in - gulfcoastgal - 02-27-2015 11:30 AM

(02-27-2015 10:21 AM)RedParallax Wrote:  
(02-27-2015 10:15 AM)pilot172000 Wrote:  

I don't really see the AAC as the Big East of old since like 99% of their roster is completely different. Legally, sure, it's the former Big East if you want to look at it that way.

I can totally understand that the former WAC and Sun Belt schools really enjoy this lineup since you were used to having like 2-3 bowls each year or whatever you had, but it just feels like there's been no real improvement in the actual programs we play in the bowls, at least for us CUSA programs that have been around a while.

EDIT: Found a link for past bowl games and came up with the following break down since 2000:

2000-2001: 4 bowl games, 1 P5
2002-2007, 2009-2012, 2014: 5 bowl games (1 P5 in '02, '03, '05, '12, and '14; 0 P5 in 2004; 2 P5 in '06, '07, '09-'11)
2008: 6 bowl games, 2 P5 (Big East, SEC)
2013: 6 bowl games, 2 P5 (ACC, SEC)
2015: 6 bowl games, 1 P5 (Big 12)

We had 2 P5 bowl games from 2006-2011, as well as 2013. This was impacted by the Big East's fall from grace as an automatic qualifier, so counting that as somewhat of an anomalous variable, I suppose you could say we've stood pat at the number of quality bowls throughout the years.

Also note that 2015 is just what's projected and it seems this is all in constant state of flux with programs getting traded amongst bowls almost every year, so who knows how it'll end up. Just interesting to see how it all broke down in the recent past.

Here's a list of CUSA bowl games prior to the current contract. Not included in this lineup is the Hawaii bowl which has traditionally been a CUSA bowl.

http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/bowl-partners-12.html

I tracked bowl movement as it was unfolding. CUSA lost bowls to the P5, AAC and MWC, but also gained the NM bowl when the PAC opted out (good get) as well as multiple slots in G5 pool bowls.

My notes are as follows:

Liberty to Big 12
Military to AAC (Previous primary and secondary ties, but didn't always fulfill)
1/2 St. Pete to ACC
1/2 Hawaii to AAC
Armed Forces to B1G/Big 12/AAC. It was CUSA vs. MWC. Now, it's MWC vs. B1G or AAC vs. Big 12 so not sure how you'd count it as MWC also gave up 1/2 slot.
2 slots in NO Bowl, one to MWC and one to AAC

Gained NM Bowl from PAC
Gained multiple G5 pool bowls