CSNbbs
Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football (/thread-728392.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - ctipton - 02-26-2015 11:17 AM

Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football
Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com 3:39 p.m. EST February 25, 2015

[Image: 635604729007347011-TubsSpring14.jpg]
Tommy Tuberville is 18-8 in two seasons at UC. (Photo: Enquirer file)

With two consecutive 9-4 seasons in the books, University of Cincinnati football coach Tommy Tuberville will welcome his third Bearcats team to spring practice Thursday.

UC is scheduled for a morning workout inside the Sheakley Athletics Center bubble. The bubble suffered a slight tear in its roof after heavy snowfall last weekend, but UC spokesman Ryan Koslen said repairs were made quickly.

Practices will conclude with the annual spring game Saturday, April 4 at 1 p.m. at Sheakley. Nippert Stadium continues to undergo renovations but is scheduled to re-open for the 2015 season.

UC shared the American Athletic Conference title last season with Memphis and UCF, all with 7-1 league records. UC then lost 33-17 to Virginia Tech in the Military Bowl (Annapolis, Maryland), to finish 9-4 overall for the second straight year.

A glance at the Bearcats:

RETURNING

Quarterback Gunner Kiel is back for his junior season, after throwing for 3,254 yards and tying a UC season record with 31 touchdown passes last year.

All of the top receivers return, including seniors-to-be Shaq Washington, Mekale McKay, Max Morrison and Chris Moore.

Running back Mike Boone also returns, after leading UC with 650 yards rushing and nine TDs as a true freshman.

Center Deyshawn Bond and guard Parker Ehinger are top returnees on the offensive line.

Defensively, safety Zach Edwards, LB Leviticus Payne, CB Grant Coleman and DE Silverberry Mouhon are among top returnees.

Placekicker Andrew Gantz and punter Sam Geraci also return.

DEPARTING

UC loses several offensive linemen, including three-time all-league tackle Eric Lefeld. Second-leading rusher Rod Moore also leaves.

Defensively, losses include LBs Jeff Luc and Nick Temple, DE Terrell Hartsfield and CB Howard Wilder.

NEW LIFE

Senior DB Adrian Witty was granted a sixth year of eligibility after the NCAA approved his request for an extension of eligibility waiver.

RBs Hosey Williams and Tion Green, DT Cortez Broughton, and LBs Clemente Casseus and Kevin Mouhon have received an extra year via medical hardships, per the American Athletic Conference.

Williams and Green began 2014 atop the depth chart at running back before being injured.

COACHING MOVES

Steve Clinkscale was promoted to coordinate the defense, after coaching the secondary/cornerbacks the past two years. Former defensive coordinator Hank Hughes left to become defensive line coach at Nebraska.

Kenny Ingram (defensive tackles) and Ty Linder (special teams coordinator/TEs) are new to the staff. Ingram was director of player development at Auburn the past two years. Linder spent 2014 on the TCU staff and was on Tuberville's staff at Texas Tech.

Clinkscale will coach both corners and safeties. Former safeties coach Jeff Koonz will coach linebackers.

Former special teams/TE coach Marc Nudelberg is joining Florida as special teams quality control coach.

LOOKING AHEAD

UC will return to campus at renovated, expanded Nippert Stadium (40,000 seats) after playing at the Bengals' Paul Brown Stadium in 2014. The grand re-opening of Nippert is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 5 against Alabama A&M (time TBA).

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2015/02/25/tuberville-take-3-bearcats-begin-spring-football/24001267/

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - rath v2.0 - 02-26-2015 11:28 AM

Remember those TT quotes that the last 2 coaches got things running in the right direction and it was his job to get this into a sprint? Year 3. About time to sprint, coach.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - marcuscan - 02-26-2015 12:15 PM

Fair enough expectation.

Personally, I have the same feeling. I expect to see a glimpse of our future with this upcoming team.

One thing that's interesting.....I think it's pretty clear we won't be going through another coaching reboot following the next season. That'll be a welcomed change.

mc

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - Racinejake - 02-26-2015 12:47 PM

While we need to replace some guys on D this year, by and large, this season has to be looked at as our best chance to make hay. The offense should be nothing short of sensational barring an injury to Kiel. We really have to capitalize this season, no two ways about it.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - The T-Shirt - 02-26-2015 01:03 PM

Im worried Boone will lose the starting role due only to the seniority and experience of Tion and Hosey. Ive not been much of a Gran hater ( I like how he has progressed as OC) but I could totally see him pulling that. Tion doesnt seem to ever be able to put it all together, despite his immense potential. Then again, it was always a runningback rotation and no one could ever really get in a grove... Crap. Now I'm worried about the runningbacks!

Heard we lost Gladney... Still, we are loaded at WR. Im also excited to see how the linebackers play. I think there are some newcomers and youngins with tons of talent in that group.

Overall, looking forward to next year. I think it could be a special one. Besides, who isnt excited for football season when we have the BEARCATS to cheer for! ...........

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - Cat-Man - 02-26-2015 01:07 PM

The RB situation this year is going to be interesting. Maybe a little "Thunder and Lightning" action with Green and Boone?

Hopefully some of the younger WR's get some quality PT this year. That's going to be a tough group to replace next year.

I'm not going to worry about the Defense under Clinkscale yet. Anything is an upgrade over Hughes. But, being handed a Defense without Luc and Temple is not the greatest situation.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - CliftonAve - 02-26-2015 01:19 PM

I am not sweating the runningback situation at all. First off we are lucky to have three high quality backs. All three guys will get plenty of carries. Not to many programs line up one or two guys anymore. Duke Johnson might be one of the best (if not the best) backs of the past decade and even he split time with two other guys.

Cat-man I am with you on the receiver situation. In 2016 all we return will be Nate Cole, Jeremy Graves, Tshumbi Johnson and the freshmen from this class. I expect the coaches will hit the JUCO ranks hard to bring in a playmaker.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - SuperFlyBCat - 02-26-2015 01:35 PM

(02-26-2015 01:03 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  Im worried Boone will lose the starting role due only to the seniority and experience of Tion and Hosey. Ive not been much of a Gran hater ( I like how he has progressed as OC) but I could totally see him pulling that. Tion doesnt seem to ever be able to put it all together, despite his immense potential. Then again, it was always a runningback rotation and no one could ever really get in a grove... Crap. Now I'm worried about the runningbacks!

Heard we lost Gladney... Still, we are loaded at WR. Im also excited to see how the linebackers play. I think there are some newcomers and youngins with tons of talent in that group.

Overall, looking forward to next year. I think it could be a special one. Besides, who isnt excited for football season when we have the BEARCATS to cheer for! ...........

Not on the roster no idea what happened.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - Bearcats#1 - 02-26-2015 01:37 PM

Gladney gone...violation of team rules

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - Dannyboy - 02-26-2015 02:57 PM

A new coach for the DTs. Good, because our DT play has been very weak.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - Bearcat Otto - 02-26-2015 02:58 PM

(02-26-2015 01:03 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  Im worried Boone will lose the starting role due only to the seniority and experience of Tion and Hosey. Ive not been much of a Gran hater ( I like how he has progressed as OC) but I could totally see him pulling that. Tion doesnt seem to ever be able to put it all together, despite his immense potential. Then again, it was always a runningback rotation and no one could ever really get in a grove... Crap. Now I'm worried about the runningbacks!

Playing time is based on performance...not seniority.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - Dannyboy - 02-26-2015 03:02 PM

The RBs will play in rotation, especially once they start getting banged up. I hope someone else steps up because 3 isn't enough.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - CliftonAve - 02-26-2015 03:32 PM

(02-26-2015 03:02 PM)Dannyboy Wrote:  The RBs will play in rotation, especially once they start getting banged up. I hope someone else steps up because 3 isn't enough.

My guess is Bobby Brown will be #4. He played a little at the end of the season and looked impressive for a walk-on freshman.

We also have true freshmen Taylor Boose and Joshuwa Holloman who I suspect will be redshirted.

Seriously guys, RB is not a position of worry for us.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - Racinejake - 02-26-2015 03:39 PM

(02-26-2015 03:32 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(02-26-2015 03:02 PM)Dannyboy Wrote:  The RBs will play in rotation, especially once they start getting banged up. I hope someone else steps up because 3 isn't enough.

My guess is Bobby Brown will be #4. He played a little at the end of the season and looked impressive for a walk-on freshman.

We also have true freshmen Taylor Boose and Joshuwa Holloman who I suspect will be redshirted.

Agreed that it looks like we have plenty of guys in the stable at RB. The bigger worry is if Kiel goes down (which he did in nearly every single game last year). We don't have anyone that is tested to replace him. That's one of the biggest things I will be watching in the spring - how well has Hayden Moore developed and does he look like he can play if needed. I thought he looked good for a true frosh in last year's spring game as an FYI. But Kiel getting hurt could derail the whole season.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - rath v2.0 - 02-26-2015 03:43 PM

(02-26-2015 01:37 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Gladney gone...violation of team rules

That stinks. He had some skills.

Unrelated but I looked at the roster and we are down to like 10-12 players from TTs 1st recruiting class.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - bctn8n - 02-26-2015 03:49 PM

(02-26-2015 03:39 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  
(02-26-2015 03:32 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Agreed that it looks like we have plenty of guys in the stable at RB. The bigger worry is if Kiel goes down (which he did in nearly every single game last year). We don't have anyone that is tested to replace him. That's one of the biggest things I will be watching in the spring - how well has Hayden Moore developed and does he look like he can play if needed. I thought he looked good for a true frosh in last year's spring game as an FYI. But Kiel getting hurt could derail the whole season.

Don't forget Buckley is back as well.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - Racinejake - 02-26-2015 05:18 PM

(02-26-2015 03:43 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

Unrelated but I looked at the roster and we are down to like 10-12 players from TTs 1st recruiting class.

That may not be a horrible statistic considering a there were several players in that 1st class (I think 5-6) who were JUCO players who have exhausted their eligibility. Also the car wreck that claimed Ben Flick's life and Mark Barr's career also is part of that.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - JP Bearcat - 02-26-2015 06:26 PM

(02-26-2015 05:18 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  

That may not be a horrible statistic considering a there were several players in that 1st class (I think 5-6) who were JUCO players who have exhausted their eligibility. Also the car wreck that claimed Ben Flick's life and Mark Barr's career also is part of that.

Plus his first class, as is often the case when a new coach takes over, was a bit of a rushed patchwork class. If the guys who are left now are contributors that's great. It was probably to expected there would be some attrition especially as TT brought in players better suited to what he wants to do with future classes where he has had more time to assemble them.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - rath v2.0 - 02-26-2015 06:55 PM

(02-26-2015 05:18 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  

Oh, I get that. Flick and Barr's accident, too. I just did not realize we had so few remaining in that class in the system. The Jucos this year backfill a bit.

RE: Tuberville Take 3: Bearcats begin spring football - rtaylor - 02-26-2015 07:39 PM

I am very excited about the up coming season, as It looks as if depth has improved throughout the roster, but we will know more come summer. Two things I do not want to see happen, a WTF loss early to someone we should absolutely beat, and a meh attitude toward winning whatever bowl game we happen to get. Other than those, I see not a single game on the schedule that would be an upset if we won.