CSNbbs
OT: Daytona - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: OT: Daytona (/thread-727619.html)

Pages: 1 2

OT: Daytona - stinkfist - 02-19-2015 02:35 PM

It's apparent there are now many racing fans on this board (based on the LT stock car thread)

I've become disinterested in NASCAR over the last handful of years (more specifically, when they started screwing around with the cars and the championship format)

Having said that.....the 'twins' (this year, the ruling body finally figured out to run 'em during 'prime time' so people could actually watch 'em live on the tele) is one of my favorite 'non-competitve' events (nascar actually has the only all-star event I enjoy watching in any sport)

There are only a handful of races I watch these days......Daytona is unique and is just dadgum fun to watch...

....would really be neat to see Tony win this year after all the crap he went through last year.....'course I've always been a Stewart fan

RE: OT: Daytona - goherd17 - 02-19-2015 03:31 PM

I used to watch and go to a ton of races. Nascar then thought they could raise ticket prices put tracks everywhere outside of the original footprint and I stopped going and watching. Now they have empty seats and I love it.

RE: OT: Daytona - DwayneW1 - 02-19-2015 05:15 PM

Rowdy Busch...

RE: OT: Daytona - DaSaintFan - 02-19-2015 05:24 PM

I'll be honest... I _was_ losing interest until they set the new qualifying format.

It just sparked something that said... Hey, I'm enjoying this again!

I still want more road races and less "cookie cutter" mile and a half tracks... but hey, what can you do?

I'm still a Keslowski supporter (Despite the whining and stuff).. but haven't decided on my #2 this season (although I keep hoping Legano would prove his worth finally).

RE: OT: Daytona - stinkfist - 02-19-2015 07:18 PM

(02-19-2015 03:31 PM)goherd17 Wrote:  I used to watch and go to a ton of races. Nascar then thought they could raise ticket prices put tracks everywhere outside of the original footprint and I stopped going and watching. Now they have empty seats and I love it.

another good point.....they really screwed the fans with ticket pricing increases.....it has easily bitten the track owners in the arse.....gonna screw a few heads when that next tv contract comes up too...

I really hate the cookie cutter races.....I put those on the screen at low volume for nappy-naptime purposes 03-wink

RE: OT: Daytona - stinkfist - 02-19-2015 07:21 PM

(02-19-2015 05:24 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  I'll be honest... I _was_ losing interest until they set the new qualifying format.

It just sparked something that said... Hey, I'm enjoying this again!

I still want more road races and less "cookie cutter" mile and a half tracks... but hey, what can you do?

I'm still a Keslowski supporter (Despite the whining and stuff).. but haven't decided on my #2 this season (although I keep hoping Legano would prove his worth finally).

the fact that qualifying is more enjoyable than many races itself (my take)......what does that say about the current state of the sport?

oh wellzy....I love this track.....this should be fun to watch....

RE: OT: Daytona - THE NC Herd Fan - 02-19-2015 07:49 PM

(02-19-2015 03:31 PM)goherd17 Wrote:  I used to watch and go to a ton of races. Nascar then thought they could raise ticket prices put tracks everywhere outside of the original footprint and I stopped going and watching. Now they have empty seats and I love it.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on NASCAR. They put tracks in places that don't support them any better than the old ones. It got a little WWF for me too, always seems a driver close to losing their sponsor suddenly gets a hot streak and wins a race or two. When they changed to a standard NASCAR template and went completely away from manufacturer specs that eliminated all stock from Stock car racing

OT: Daytona - MarshallHerdFanz - 02-19-2015 09:06 PM

Go Jeb Burton.

RE: OT: Daytona - stinkfist - 02-19-2015 09:54 PM

(02-19-2015 07:49 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on NASCAR. They put tracks in places that don't support them any better than the old ones. It got a little WWF for me too, always seems a driver close to losing their sponsor suddenly gets a hot streak and wins a race or two. When they changed to a standard NASCAR template and went completely away from manufacturer specs that eliminated all stock from Stock car racing

from an outsider (always watched daytona...it's all that was avaiilable back in the day)....expanding the market was easilyi the right move....they just built ****** tracks along with the handful of other tard=tard moves....

you guys were spoiled (geographically speaking)....sometimes that's a good thing....

reminds me of southern miss football....

however, I don't want the overall volume interest in college football to suffer due to greed (0r any other destroyer)

what's happening across the spectrum of sport is very disturbing to me.....

baseball has finally figured out and is continuing to focus on increasing interest based on previous mistakes...

hockey is doing fairly well through expansion.....hell, it was hard to buy a Blues tic back in the 70s ('course I understand the difference between 18K and 100K seating capacity.....and of course the course is different and one costs more to maintain)

the Helton pockets are deep at this point......there's the real problem.....

I can only imagine the lunacy that gets discussed between the 'heads' of nascar state....would probably enjoy being a gitmo escapee more than a 'fly on the wall' with those goons....

RE: OT: Daytona - stinkfist - 02-19-2015 10:00 PM

(02-19-2015 09:06 PM)MarshallHerdFanz Wrote:  Go Jeb Burton.

jeb just got hosed.....

RE: OT: Daytona - goodknightfl - 02-20-2015 08:42 AM

Empty seats are becoming a problem in all sports. A lot of that last night was weather. In the 20's and windy. Lets see warm room and High def TV or cold and windy...

RE: OT: Daytona - blazertke - 02-20-2015 01:07 PM

Y
(02-20-2015 08:42 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  

Empty seats are becoming a problem in all sports. A lot of that last night was weather. In the 20's and windy. Lets see warm room and High def TV or cold and windy...

Valid point, I go to the 24 Hours of Daytona each year and weather is always a toss up. I love what they're doing with Daytona as far as the renovations. I'm still a big NASCAR fan regardless of all the changes.

RE: OT: Daytona - Niner National - 02-20-2015 01:35 PM

The Charlotte Motor Speedway is removing like 40,000 seats because nobody ever uses them.

It wasn't that long ago that they thought they couldn't make the race tracks big enough.

I personally just don't find any excitement in racing. I like the short tracks, but there are only a few of those left.

RE: OT: Daytona - 49erlew - 02-20-2015 04:16 PM

(02-19-2015 02:35 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  It's apparent there are now many racing fans on this board (based on the LT stock car thread)

I've become disinterested in NASCAR over the last handful of years (more specifically, when they started screwing around with the cars and the championship format)

Having said that.....the 'twins' (this year, the ruling body finally figured out to run 'em during 'prime time' so people could actually watch 'em live on the tele) is one of my favorite 'non-competitve' events (nascar actually has the only all-star event I enjoy watching in any sport)

There are only a handful of races I watch these days......Daytona is unique and is just dadgum fun to watch...

....would really be neat to see Tony win this year after all the crap he went through last year.....'course I've always been a Stewart fan

NASCAR has been my first love in sports since Johnny Benson moved into the house next door when I was eight years old. I've been to at least one race every year since 1996... although there were quite a few years that my enjoyment of NASCAR was limited to the events I attended and a select few races that I enjoyed enough to actually carve time out of my weekend to watch.

I came back to the sport in a very big way last year. Fell head-over-heels back in love with it, really. Ironically, last year was the first year that I wasn't rooting for a particular driver. I'd latched onto Jeff Burton after Johnny left the sport, and he only ran a very limited schedule last year. I think this was a big part of what made the sport so enjoyable to me again... I was watching because the racing was good. I didn't have a driver that I was pulling for, so didn't really have a reason to get upset if the rules of the New NASCAR didn't benefit him (looking at you, Gordon fans) With the exception of Josh Wise, who I'd gotten behind during the whole reddit / dogecoin thing, I was really pulling for whichever driver would create the best story. Junior winning at Daytona, Allmendinger at the Glen, Larson when he was running well, and Newman during his Cinderella drive. Although, the CAT #31 might have had something to do with that last one.

Roll your eyes at the new championship format all you want, but the racing has been fantastic. Actually, I think the championship format also played a big role in bringing my interest back. I wrote off the championship as being "unimportant" last year, and felt like every race was important in and of itself. This made things a lot more enjoyable to me as a fan.

As for this year, I'm definitely hoping for the best for Jeb. Unfortunately, the best you can hope for for a young driver at BK Racing is that his career is salvageable when his contract comes up. At the front of the pack, I'd really like to see Jeff Gordon go out on top. Couldn't stand the guy as a kid, but now I look at the sport and realize that he is the only driver left that was there when I first started to watch NASCAR. It's going to be very strange seeing NASCAR without Jeff Gordon next year.

RE: OT: Daytona - topper1296 - 02-20-2015 05:27 PM

(02-20-2015 08:42 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  

Agreed, because of HDTV the only way for sports venues to combat this is to focus on quality of the fan experience instead of quantity of fans.

Edit: Yes, I'm also a NASCAR fan and have been to Talladega, however I don't watch as many races as I used to. I still try to watch both races at Bristol, Daytona and Talladega and then the Coke 600, Brickyard and the last race of the year. I was a Dale Jarrett fan and I haven't really adopted a new favorite since he retired. I guess I will go contrarian and say I like Kyle Busch and don't like Jr. 04-cheers

RE: OT: Daytona - stinkfist - 02-20-2015 07:54 PM

(02-20-2015 01:35 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

The Charlotte Motor Speedway is removing like 40,000 seats because nobody ever uses them.

It wasn't that long ago that they thought they couldn't make the race tracks big enough.

I personally just don't find any excitement in racing. I like the short tracks, but there are only a few of those left.

I like where you guys are steering this....

what's gonna happen when people get tired of commercialization and that revenue....

nascar is like pee-wee herman w/o the wipeys at this point.....

it's the dumber and dumberest of destruction that I have witnessed in my lifetime

stupid pompous people do stupid pompous things.....'my nascar yogi-ism' contribution

RE: OT: Daytona - HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine - 02-20-2015 10:33 PM

I'm just tired of the Danica Patrick hype.

RE: OT: Daytona - stinkfist - 02-21-2015 12:53 PM

this group qualifying format is retarded.....for a sport that is struggling, wrecking that amount of cars is mndnumbingly stupid....

...just watched almost the entire 2nd group basically wreck millions of dollars and in turn, getting flushed down the drain....

nascar is sinking faster than the titanic...

I watched the replay of the '79 race this morning......that's what these dipsihites should pay more attention to.....bigger cars and less aero makes for some pretty good racing....

been saying this for too many years.....

RE: OT: Daytona - HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine - 02-21-2015 03:14 PM

(02-21-2015 12:53 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  this group qualifying format is retarded.....for a sport that is struggling, wrecking that amount of cars is mndnumbingly stupid....

...just watched almost the entire 2nd group basically wreck millions of dollars and in turn, getting flushed down the drain....

I watched the replay of the '79 race this morning......that's what these dipsihites should pay more attention to.....bigger cars and less aero makes for some pretty good racing....

I would like to see more racing on dirt tracks or other varied surfaces. NASCAR would make my day if they raced on the Daytona beach like they did in the old days. (I know that it is an impossibility)

I highly recommend this book for the true history of NASCAR and not the sanitized version presented by the suits.

Driving With the Devil: Southern Moonshine, Detroit Wheels, and the Birth of NASCAR

RE: OT: Daytona - stinkfist - 02-21-2015 03:25 PM

(02-21-2015 03:14 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  
(02-21-2015 12:53 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  this group qualifying format is retarded.....for a sport that is struggling, wrecking that amount of cars is mndnumbingly stupid....

I would like to see more racing on dirt tracks or other varied surfaces. NASCAR would make my day if they raced on the Daytona beach like they did in the old days. (I know that it is an impossibility)

I highly recommend this book for the true history of NASCAR and not the sanitized version presented by the suits.

Driving With the Devil: Southern Moonshine, Detroit Wheels, and the Birth of NASCAR

I tell my grandfather how lucky he was to go to daytona back then.....he gives me the chuckle followed by, "yes I was son....in more ways than you know".....I responded, "grandpa, I know both sides of that coin..."

I made him laugh and let him know how at the same time, 'you were a cool dude gramps'....

edit: totally agree with your premise....would 'kill' to watch them run on dirt.....unfortunately, it's just too much of a monopoly at this point......a few have completely ruined what I can rarely watch on the tele now (damn sure not going to the 'dega/atl...the two I went to annually)....it's a bummer.....