CSNbbs
"Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” (/thread-726633.html)

Pages: 1 2

"Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - WesternBlazer - 02-11-2015 09:18 AM

http://m.chronicle.com/article/The-Economist-Who-Fueled-a/189915/?key=HTh7KFlnaiJENHFqYDdENWtUYHI4YRghZHUfOCl0bllVEg%3D%3D

Andy Schwarz argues that a report that led the U. of Alabama at Birmingham to conclude it needed to pull the plug on its middling football program had overestimated its cost by millions of dollars. “UAB claims they can’t afford football,” Mr. Schwarz wrote. “As someone in sales might say, maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.”

"It bothers me a ton when I see people speaking from a position of authority and I know it’s wrong," said Mr. Schwarz. "And it is hard for me to be quiet about it."

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - biglizard - 02-11-2015 09:24 AM

Really hope Andy gets to officially weigh in on this. Smithers' head will explode

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - 58-56 - 02-11-2015 09:40 AM

This piece is a big deal, not just for its content but the venue.

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - biglizard - 02-11-2015 09:45 AM

(02-11-2015 09:40 AM)58-56 Wrote:  This piece is a big deal, not just for its content but the venue.

Holy cow didn't even notice the source. Wow

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - UAB Band Dad - 02-11-2015 09:50 AM

Note that the article confirms that Schwarz's firm is on the list.

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - Matrix - 02-11-2015 10:02 AM

God, I hope his firm is the chosen one!

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - Blazer85 - 02-11-2015 10:05 AM

(02-11-2015 10:02 AM)Matrix Wrote:  God, I hope his firm is the chosen one!

Agreed, if for no other reason but the fact that I don't think he would let his work be used to justify a pre-determined decision. I think he also understands that loss of a sport like football goes beyond simple math of a ledger line with revenue and expenses and would better be able to account for those intangibles.

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - ATTALLABLAZE - 02-11-2015 10:52 AM

Matter of time before trolls flood the comments..

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - the_blazerman - 02-11-2015 11:03 AM

Already have. I guess we are competing against the MIT's & Ivy League schools for students.

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - ATTALLABLAZE - 02-11-2015 11:03 AM

Cant see them on my phone. Will look at later.

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - biglizard - 02-11-2015 11:09 AM

(02-11-2015 11:03 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Already have. I guess we are competing against the MIT's & Ivy League schools for students.

All of which have football.

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - DragonClaw - 02-11-2015 11:34 AM

Big time article, in a big time publication.

Of course we know the Carr report was never legit. It was always just a fig-leaf to covert the deep desire of PBJ, Finis, Espy, and Watts to kill football. The Carr Report may have started with some integrity, but at some point the friggin "athletic committee" of the BOT started meddling and it went from an honest study to one intended to specifically justify murdering our football program.

The BOT meddles, and they meddled with the Carr Report. Hopefully their meddling days will soon be over.

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - KevMo4UAB - 02-11-2015 11:49 AM

Watts is truly in over his head as president of UAB.

The UABOT members are just plain evil, even the silent ones.

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - 58-56 - 02-11-2015 11:58 AM

(02-11-2015 11:34 AM)DragonClaw Wrote:  The BOT meddles, and they meddled with the Carr Report. Hopefully their meddling days will soon be over.

This is very true.

It wouldn't hurt to put more effort into dirtying up Carr and Associates (just by telling the truth, which is plenty dirty with no embellishment). If their business suffers, the incentive to blow the whistle on who made the April 2014 phone call to re-direct the study grows.

They are a weak link in this. Someone at Carr can prove Board malfeasance: major SACS violations at the very least, possibly criminal actions. Is Carr willing to take that fall for Finis St. John IV?

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - panama - 02-11-2015 12:08 PM

(02-11-2015 11:58 AM)58-56 Wrote:  
(02-11-2015 11:34 AM)DragonClaw Wrote:  The BOT meddles, and they meddled with the Carr Report. Hopefully their meddling days will soon be over.

This is very true.

It wouldn't hurt to put more effort into dirtying up Carr and Associates (just by telling the truth, which is plenty dirty with no embellishment). If their business suffers, the incentive to blow the whistle on who made the April 2014 phone call to re-direct the study grows.

They are a weak link in this. Someone at Carr can prove Board malfeasance: major SACS violations at the very least, possibly criminal actions. Is Carr willing to take that fall for Finis St. John IV?

Can you imagine a Carr rep giving offcial testimony? Wow.

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 02-11-2015 12:18 PM

The attack on UAB athletics proves in my opinion that the UA administration's thinking is still mired somewhere in the early 20th century Alabama culture. The state legislature got away with it for almost 70 years (1901 to 1965) and the System BOT is trying to exceed that record by denying representation to UAB an UAH from 1969 to today. They are still acting as if it is desirable to hobble or destroy anything in Jeffco area, be it a state university or the city itself.

George III and Lord North told the American colonists that there were people living in England who could speak for them. The colonists had the attitude that a representative should actually live in the place he represents and later put that requirement into the Constitution. Today we are getting the same kind of imperial thinking from the BOT - that they have the best interests of UAB at heart and we just "don't know what we don't know".

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - blzrclub80 - 02-11-2015 01:14 PM

(02-11-2015 11:34 AM)DragonClaw Wrote:  Big time article, in a big time publication.

Of course we know the Carr report was never legit. It was always just a fig-leaf to covert the deep desire of PBJ, Finis, Espy, and Watts to kill football. The Carr Report may have started with some integrity, but at some point the friggin "athletic committee" of the BOT started meddling and it went from an honest study to one intended to specifically justify murdering our football program.

The BOT meddles, and they meddled with the Carr Report. Hopefully their meddling days will soon be over.

Carr should retract it's report stating it was provided incomplete or inappropriate data. Otherwise, Carr should explain the communication of purpose of the report and how that changed from the initial engagement. Otherwise, Carr has little or no chance to save face in this debacle and the reputation of the company will suffer greatly - for coach searches and athletic financial analysis.

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - UABGrad - 02-11-2015 02:06 PM

Why would any University ever hire Carr and Associates again? Their reputation is ruined. I wonder if it was worth it for the paltry sum the got.

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - WesternBlazer - 02-11-2015 02:13 PM

Carr is in a really bad position. They can't discredit their own report by admitting its a bunch of junk or throw their clients under the bus, either, and expect to get any further consulting work again. In either case, they seal their fate. They best they can do is wait this thing out being very careful about what they say or imply.

RE: "Maybe UAB can’t afford to not have football.” - ATTALLABLAZE - 02-11-2015 02:53 PM

They can say they were given incomplete and inaccurate information. This is what should happen but I bet they have been paid to keep their mouth shut like some other folks.