CSNbbs
Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences." - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences." (/thread-726343.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences." - Kittonhead - 02-09-2015 12:21 AM

Quote:Mike Aresco is pleased with the progress that the American Athletic Conference made in football its second full-season, but the league’s commissioner knows there is still plenty of work that needs to be done.

“We’re still building the brand of our conference and we’re still building our programs,” Aresco told the Sentinel in an exclusive interview Friday. “… We’re no where near where we want to be.”

Aresco then turned a phrase favorited by his friend Archie Manning during their days at CBS, “You just keep sawing wood. I love that term because that’s what we’re doing.”

Memphis, UCF and Cincinnati finished in a three-way tie for the conference championship this season, but none of the three were able to crack into the College Football Playoff. Regardless, Aresco thinks the AAC is close to having a team get there.

“We think we’re going to ge there, but that’s not the only measurement,” he adds. “We think the measurement is the strength in the conference and to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-aac-commish-pleased-with-progress-of-league-20150124-post.html

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - Kittonhead - 02-09-2015 12:29 AM

What this guy doesn't understand is without being in a Power conference its near impossible to crack a Top 50 recruiting class.

Out recruit Colorado, Wake Forest and most G5 programs sure that can be done. The conference at a whole though is at such a disadvantage in recruiting compared to the power conferences, not to mention power conferences.

Long term programs like Houston and SMU will face pressure from improving CUSA Texas schools and Texas St. East Carolina has more competition for recruits at the G5 level with Old Dominion, Charlotte, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern and Georgia State with each of those schools having good potential.

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences." - TrojanCampaign - 02-09-2015 07:02 AM

Wow, you other G5 fans are so insecure about what the AAC does it's funny.

I seriously don't see how you guys find so much time to complain about them in your day.

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - 10thMountain - 02-09-2015 07:49 AM

That's gotta be a little insulting to the other G5 conferences with the commish of the AAC trying to act like his league is above and beyond the rest of you (especially after the results of last season) and when he lumps his league in with the "other 5 conferences" he sure isnt talking about the MWC and CUSA.

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - quo vadis - 02-09-2015 09:56 AM

(02-09-2015 07:49 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  That's gotta be a little insulting to the other G5 conferences with the commish of the AAC trying to act like his league is above and beyond the rest of you (especially after the results of last season) and when he lumps his league in with the "other 5 conferences" he sure isnt talking about the MWC and CUSA.

Nobody has ever accused me of sucking up to Aresco, but I'm not sure what your complaint is. Aresco acknowledged that "we have a long way to go" to reach the conference's goal, which is to be viewed as competitive with the P5.

What's wrong with that? I'm sure the MWC and every other G5 has that as their goal, too.

Re: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences." - Lenvillecards - 02-09-2015 10:07 AM

The AAC has more potential than the others, I expect to see them take control of the access spot.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - Maize - 02-09-2015 10:08 AM

(02-09-2015 07:49 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  That's gotta be a little insulting to the other G5 conferences with the commish of the AAC trying to act like his league is above and beyond the rest of you (especially after the results of last season) and when he lumps his league in with the "other 5 conferences" he sure isnt talking about the MWC and CUSA.

To be fair the AAC & MWC are above the other G5 leagues in Fan Support and exposure....

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - ken d - 02-09-2015 10:25 AM

(02-09-2015 10:07 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  The AAC has more potential than the others, I expect to see them take control of the access spot.

I don't think the second part of your sentence follows from the first part. That potential could very well mean that no one team stands out from the rest by enough to keep from ceding the access spot to another conference that only has one outstanding team.

Over the long haul. I don't expect that access spot to yield much more than $200K a year to any G5 school. It's better than nothing, but it's no difference maker in terms of improving competitiveness with the P5.

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences." - Kittonhead - 02-09-2015 10:26 AM

No.

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - msm96wolf - 02-09-2015 10:35 AM

(02-09-2015 10:08 AM)Maize Wrote:  

To be fair the AAC & MWC are above the other G5 leagues in Fan Support and exposure....

Out of all the G5 conferences, the AAC appears to have the worst of the "Little Man Syndrome". Why Aersco can rant all he wants, the AAC in ther first year finished 3rd in G5 ratings. Until the Rose, Orange and Sugar die, a G5 conference will never move up. It is set just like the FCS, a conference can't move but a team might be able to move up if an opening occurs.

Now, I will say of all the G5 conferences, the AAC probably has the most attractive teams from the P5 to pick from. If the B12 doesn't get there waiver, I could see the last round of expansion kick-off. The only question, does the B12 go to 12 or 14.

My prediction, B12 picks off UCF and Cinci for the first round when the proposal is denied. Fox and ESPN will work to help make this happen. Probably during the 4th year of the CFP they will be eligible. If they were to go to 14, Mempjis and ECU as the other two. Bonus prediction, playoffs will stay at four for the first 12 years, we are already seeing that the NFL and NCAA don't play well together.

Re: RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences - Lenvillecards - 02-09-2015 11:16 AM

(02-09-2015 10:25 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 10:07 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  The AAC has more potential than the others, I expect to see them take control of the access spot.

I don't think the second part of your sentence follows from the first part. That potential could very well mean that no one team stands out from the rest by enough to keep from ceding the access spot to another conference that only has one outstanding team.

Over the long haul. I don't expect that access spot to yield much more than $200K a year to any G5 school. It's better than nothing, but it's no difference maker in terms of improving competitiveness with the P5.

I see your point & I considered Boise but with the AAC CCG & slightly better SOS I can see the AAC getting the access spot more often than not. There wont be any more ties for first place. Now if the Big 12 expands & takes teams from the AAC then that would leave Boise (MWC) alone at the top.

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - Maize - 02-09-2015 11:19 AM

(02-09-2015 10:35 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

Out of all the G5 conferences, the AAC appears to have the worst of the "Little Man Syndrome". Why Aersco can rant all he wants, the AAC in ther first year finished 3rd in G5 ratings. Until the Rose, Orange and Sugar die, a G5 conference will never move up. It is set just like the FCS, a conference can't move but a team might be able to move up if an opening occurs.

Now, I will say of all the G5 conferences, the AAC probably has the most attractive teams from the P5 to pick from. If the B12 doesn't get there waiver, I could see the last round of expansion kick-off. The only question, does the B12 go to 12 or 14.

My prediction, B12 picks off UCF and Cinci for the first round when the proposal is denied. Fox and ESPN will work to help make this happen. Probably during the 4th year of the CFP they will be eligible. If they were to go to 14, Mempjis and ECU as the other two. Bonus prediction, playoffs will stay at four for the first 12 years, we are already seeing that the NFL and NCAA don't play well together.

That goes to my statement and Fan Support-(ECU, UCF, UC & UConn) and Exposure-(ESPN Deal is IMO the best of the G5)...but you make a very valid point about the Little Man Syndrome...

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - Frank the Tank - 02-09-2015 11:33 AM

(02-09-2015 10:35 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

To be sure, the AAC was the only conference that was demoted in status (unless you include the WAC, which was simply killed off entirely), so it's understandable that there's a lot more denial/posturing/complaining. The AAC (or more accurately, UConn, USF and Cincinnati) *lost* status, whereas everyone else is simply continuing with the status that they always had in the BCS era.

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - ken d - 02-09-2015 11:41 AM

(02-09-2015 11:16 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

I see your point & I considered Boise but with the AAC CCG & slightly better SOS I can see the AAC getting the access spot more often than not. There wont be any more ties for first place. Now if the Big 12 expands & takes teams from the AAC then that would leave Boise (MWC) alone at the top.

The cynic in me says that, if the selection process remains as it is, there will be a lot of pressure on the committee to "spread the wealth" among the G5 conferences rather than allow one to dominate the access spot.

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - Frank the Tank - 02-09-2015 11:48 AM

(02-09-2015 11:41 AM)ken d Wrote:  

The cynic in me says that, if the selection process remains as it is, there will be a lot of pressure on the committee to "spread the wealth" among the G5 conferences rather than allow one to dominate the access spot.

Hmmmm... I would say the pressure is more from the TV people and bowl organizers, whether it's intentional or not. Both of those interests *really* like Boise State (and to be perfectly fair, Boise State keeps winning big games, so the CFP committee has a legit on-the-field reason to keep favoring them). The AAC is a better top-to-bottom on-the-field conference than the MWC, but Boise State is the single top football brand name in the G5 by a healthy margin. Boise is going to get the benefit of the doubt when all else is equal. I think the AAC strength of conference is compelling when comparing them to teams from C-USA, MAC or Sun Belt, but I very much doubt it will come into play against the MWC (and specifically, Boise State).

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - _sturt_ - 02-09-2015 12:15 PM

When you take a 5-year historical look at it, AAC is in a position to slightly edge out the MWC in terms of on-the-field success.

When you look at just 2014-15, AAC represents one of two significant disappointments compared to what the historicals said they ought to be; the other being the MAC, and in particular, the MAC East.

Is it an outlier year for AAC? I think it probably is, but we'll see. For MAC East, they actually devolved to be even worse than they were in 2013-14, and that's saying something.

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - Wedge - 02-09-2015 12:21 PM

There's nothing wrong with Aresco's comments. It's a big part of his job to improve the "brand" of the AAC, as he puts it, and his comments are a sales pitch, which again is just part of his job.

The idea of elevating the football reputation of the entire conference to where it is "competitive" (again, his term) with the P5 conferences is limited for the AAC in the same way it has been limited for the MWC: Because the real goal of any G5 football program that actually "elevates" itself is the same as the goal that Utah and TCU had in the MWC -- to elevate their own program into a P5 conference.

The only way that a G5 conference can elevate itself in the way Aresco says, as a conference, is if both of these things happen:

(1) At least a few of its football teams reach the Boise/Utah/TCU level of success. How many? Well, consider that even when the MWC still had Utah, TCU, and BYU, and Utah was 2-0 in BCS bowls, TCU was 1-1 in BCS bowls, and both had multiple top-10 finishes, the MWC was still not considered to be on the level of a P5 conference. Three "elevated" football teams is a minimum and might still not be enough.

and (2) Those successful teams have no way out of their G5 league, because if they have a way out, they'll take it, just like Utah and TCU did.

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - lance99 - 02-09-2015 12:22 PM

(02-09-2015 12:15 PM)_sturt_ Wrote:  When you take a 5-year historical look at it, AAC is in a position to slightly edge out the MWC in terms of on-the-field success.

When you look at just 2014-15, AAC represents one of two significant disappointments compared to what the historicals said they ought to be; the other being the MAC, and in particular, the MAC East.

Is it an outlier year for AAC? I think it probably is, but we'll see. For MAC East, they actually devolved to be even worse than they were in 2013-14, and that's saying something.

The MAC East has historically been a mess most years. What's your point? 07-coffee3

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - Danger in Carolina - 02-09-2015 12:26 PM

(02-09-2015 11:48 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 11:41 AM)ken d Wrote:  

Hmmmm... I would say the pressure is more from the TV people and bowl organizers, whether it's intentional or not. Both of those interests *really* like Boise State (and to be perfectly fair, Boise State keeps winning big games, so the CFP committee has a legit on-the-field reason to keep favoring them). The AAC is a better top-to-bottom on-the-field conference than the MWC, but Boise State is the single top football brand name in the G5 by a healthy margin. Boise is going to get the benefit of the doubt when all else is equal. I think the AAC strength of conference is compelling when comparing them to teams from C-USA, MAC or Sun Belt, but I very much doubt it will come into play against the MWC (and specifically, Boise State).

I agree. As long as Boise keeps winning (and not losing more than 1 or 2 games a year) they will be the favored have not since they keep pulling bowl "upsets." That's not to say there can't be others, but to Boise's credit they do show up in the post season and put on a good show that makes for watchable TV.

RE: Aresco on AAC FB: "to be viewed as competitve with the other five conferences... - lance99 - 02-09-2015 12:32 PM

(02-09-2015 11:48 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Hmmmm... I would say the pressure is more from the TV people and bowl organizers, whether it's intentional or not. Both of those interests *really* like Boise State (and to be perfectly fair, Boise State keeps winning big games, so the CFP committee has a legit on-the-field reason to keep favoring them). The AAC is a better top-to-bottom on-the-field conference than the MWC, but Boise State is the single top football brand name in the G5 by a healthy margin. Boise is going to get the benefit of the doubt when all else is equal. I think the AAC strength of conference is compelling when comparing them to teams from C-USA, MAC or Sun Belt, but I very much doubt it will come into play against the MWC (and specifically, Boise State).

I have to disagree with you here Frank. The bottom of ALL of the G5 Conferences were pretty bad this past season. Also ask yourself this question: Where is the MWC without Boise?

Also if the AAC is so great, why is there several threads with teams possibly leaving? I know that Aersco is doing his job, but reality says otherwise, in rearguards to Football.

It is the Little Man(or Napoleon if you choose) Syndrome as stated by msm96wolf.