CSNbbs
Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... (/thread-725880.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - DaSaintFan - 02-05-2015 11:47 AM

So they can write off the $21.8 Billion that they'll owe in 2016 from student loan programs, per Politico

Quote: The $21.8 billion revision—larger than the annual budget for NASA, or the Interior Department and EPA combined—will be tacked onto the federal deficit.

And because of a quirk in the budget process for credit programs, the department can add the $21.8 billion to the deficit automatically, without seeking appropriations or even approval from Congress.

That’s a big quasi-bailout, increasing the deficit nearly 5 percent.

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - Fitbud - 02-05-2015 11:59 AM

Free college would be a much better investment than NASA that is for sure.

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - JDTulane - 02-05-2015 12:02 PM

(02-05-2015 11:59 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Free college would be a much better investment than NASA that is for sure.

smh

I can think of a million things I'd rather slash a budget for than free education AND NASA.

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - muffinman - 02-05-2015 12:21 PM

(02-05-2015 11:59 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Free college would be a much better investment than NASA that is for sure.

Hmmm.. space exploration and new technology or sending some kid to school to get an certificate in turf care management?... Thats a difficult one...

And yes, turf care management is a actual certificiate you can get from one of the local community colleges in my area.

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - Fitbud - 02-05-2015 12:23 PM

(02-05-2015 12:21 PM)muffinman Wrote:  

Hmmm.. space exploration and new technology or sending some kid to school to get an certificate in turf care management?... Thats a difficult one...

And yes, turf care management is a actual certificiate you can get from one of the local community colleges in my area.

Space Exploration? Really?

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - muffinman - 02-05-2015 12:25 PM

(02-05-2015 12:23 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

So what exactly do you think NASA's purpose is?

NASA's mission statement- “to pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research.”

I bolded it so you can see it better.

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - HeartOfDixie - 02-05-2015 12:27 PM

There needs to be movement on this issue. This debt is a massive drag on the future of the country. The Republicans are on the wrong side of this.

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - Fitbud - 02-05-2015 12:53 PM

(02-05-2015 12:25 PM)muffinman Wrote:  

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

NASA's mission statement- “to pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research.”

I get that they do it. I just don't see the benefits of doing it.

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - South Carolina Duke - 02-05-2015 01:00 PM

(02-05-2015 12:27 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  There needs to be movement on this issue. This debt is a massive drag on the future of the country. The Republicans are on the wrong side of this.

Debt in all areas in life is bad, and is the opposite of freedom. But most don't grasp the idea and just plod along and never own anything just make payments!!

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - muffinman - 02-05-2015 01:05 PM

(02-05-2015 12:53 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 12:25 PM)muffinman Wrote:  

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

I get that they do it. I just don't see the benefits of doing it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/everyday-items-developed-by-nasa-2012-8

Yup, no benefits.

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - HeartOfDixie - 02-05-2015 01:27 PM

(02-05-2015 01:00 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 12:27 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  There needs to be movement on this issue. This debt is a massive drag on the future of the country. The Republicans are on the wrong side of this.

Debt in all areas in life is bad, and is the opposite of freedom. But most don't grasp the idea and just plod along and never own anything just make payments!!

That's a serious problem as well but a little bit separate from this one.

The price of college was artificially inflated for a whole generation who now holds billions of dollars in debt. That is a generational type issue which will haunt this country for the next 20 years.

It would be fair to say that the country has saddled an entire generation with artificial debt. It's a giant wealth redistribution in its truest sense.

The Feds need to crack down on this and do what is best in the long term for the nation. That's write off a lot of this student loan debt which was based on false value in the first place.

Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - South Carolina Duke - 02-05-2015 10:36 PM

No way sir. Forgive the debt then revoke the diploma!! And all the benefits, qualifications that accompany that degree.

That was a choice to continue to go into debt on an advanced degree. Choices have consequences. What ever happened to personal responsibility and character ?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - HeartOfDixie - 02-05-2015 10:40 PM

(02-05-2015 10:36 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  No way sir. Forgive the debt then revoke the diploma!! And all the benefits, qualifications that accompany that degree.

That was a choice to continue to go into debt on an advanced degree. Choices have consequences. What ever happened to personal responsibility and character ?

That's a very weak argument. It's also the only real one Republicans have.

It also makes the Democrats dangerous because addressing the issue would be wildly popular, a strongly pro business move, and the moraly right thing to do.

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - DefCONNOne - 02-05-2015 11:11 PM

(02-05-2015 10:40 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 10:36 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  No way sir. Forgive the debt then revoke the diploma!! And all the benefits, qualifications that accompany that degree.

That's a very weak argument. It's also the only real one Republicans have.

It also makes the Democrats dangerous because addressing the issue would be wildly popular, a strongly pro business move, and the moraly right thing to do.

So you're AGAINST personal responsibility and character? Just cause the Dims support no responsibility and no character does NOT put them on the "right side" of this (non-) issue!!

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - HeartOfDixie - 02-05-2015 11:14 PM

The personal character argument doesn't fly. It would if tuition wasn't up however many thousand percent. But it is so it isn't.

It's a tired Republican talking point that misses the forest for the trees. This new generation that the nation needs to be out there starting new businesses but they can't because they have no money and have to service debt or ruin their lives.

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - DefCONNOne - 02-05-2015 11:28 PM

(02-05-2015 11:14 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The personal character argument doesn't fly. It would if tuition wasn't up however many thousand percent. But it is so it isn't.

It's a tired Republican talking point that misses the forest for the trees. This new generation that the nation needs to be out there starting new businesses but they can't because they have no money and have to service debt or ruin their lives.

Let me modify the question you desperately want to avoid...

So you're AGAINST personal responsibility and character? Just cause the Dims support no responsibility and no character does NOT put them on the "right side" of this (non-) issue!!

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - HeartOfDixie - 02-05-2015 11:29 PM

(02-05-2015 11:28 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 11:14 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The personal character argument doesn't fly. It would if tuition wasn't up however many thousand percent. But it is so it isn't.

Bless your heart

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - UConn-SMU - 02-05-2015 11:37 PM

Nothing is "free".

RE: Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - DefCONNOne - 02-05-2015 11:39 PM

(02-05-2015 11:29 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 11:28 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  

Bless your heart

Aren't you adorable. 03-cloud9 Admitting you're against personal responsibility and that the Dims (and you) are on the wrong side of this issue.

Now we know why Obama wants to give out free college... - South Carolina Duke - 02-06-2015 06:12 AM

HOD,

If the cost of milk was higher than it ever had been would you continue to purchase and drink milk? Gallons and gallons of chocolate and strawberry and white milk you consume. You pay for all of this on a credit card.

Then you decide that you're lactose intolerant OR you suddenly realize all of the debt you racked up on your milk consumption and purchases came with a cost. Do you feel that Publix and VISA should cut you a check because you buyers' remorse?