CSNbbs
NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! (/thread-725675.html)

Pages: 1 2

NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - GoodOwl - 02-04-2015 12:47 AM

I can't believe any sane human being wishes to allow this garbage (the link, not the flag):

https://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Oregon-s-gas-tax-alternative-pay-per-mile-moving-forward/1715-598768-2869.aspx

[Image: 1208806904FL-USHGAD-23.gif]

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - CardFan1 - 02-04-2015 06:18 AM

There You go Libs, Defend this one. even from a Liberal state no less. Talk about an invasion of privacy. Tracking You by GPS no less.

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - LSU04_08 - 02-04-2015 12:50 PM

Road Usage Charge?

Wow, liberals.

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - VA49er - 02-04-2015 12:55 PM

Going to laugh if the revenue actually decreases using the "usage" tax versus the gasoline tax.

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - Redwingtom - 02-04-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:Program participants will pay 1.5 cents per mile driven in lieu of paying Oregon’s 30 cents per gallon gasoline tax. Mileage will be tallied in one of three ways. The CAMs will offer telematics devices that include global positioning systems (GPS). These devices will track miles driven in-state and exempt miles driven out-of -state from the RUC.

Although the full program with 5,000 volunteers won’t start until July 1, 2015, Oregon is scheduled to start a web site and marketing effort later this week to promote the RUC concept. Azuga and Verizon will also launch marketing services to promote their offerings and the program as a whole, Godfrey said.

While Oregon’s trial is small, Taylor calls it “a first domino to fall program. Oregon is out in front of the other states and everybody will be watching them see how it works. It would not be unreasonable that in 2016 there would be two or three or maybe a half dozen states that would like to come into this program and we would like to be ready for that,” he said.

So, the state is giving taxpayers a voluntary choice to forego the gas tax in lieu of a pay per mile fee and this is an issue?

Oh...the humanity of it all! 03-zzz

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - VA49er - 02-04-2015 01:03 PM

(02-04-2015 12:57 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
Quote:Program participants will pay 1.5 cents per mile driven in lieu of paying Oregon’s 30 cents per gallon gasoline tax. Mileage will be tallied in one of three ways. The CAMs will offer telematics devices that include global positioning systems (GPS). These devices will track miles driven in-state and exempt miles driven out-of -state from the RUC.

Although the full program with 5,000 volunteers won’t start until July 1, 2015, Oregon is scheduled to start a web site and marketing effort later this week to promote the RUC concept. Azuga and Verizon will also launch marketing services to promote their offerings and the program as a whole, Godfrey said.

While Oregon’s trial is small, Taylor calls it “a first domino to fall program. Oregon is out in front of the other states and everybody will be watching them see how it works. It would not be unreasonable that in 2016 there would be two or three or maybe a half dozen states that would like to come into this program and we would like to be ready for that,” he said.

So, the state is giving taxpayers a voluntary choice to forego the gas tax in lieu of a pay per mile fee and this is an issue?

You think it will remain a "choice" for long if successful?

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - stinkfist - 02-04-2015 01:07 PM

that was what I gleaned from the proposal.....

choice.....it is a hangin' booger that befuddles some....

I still laugh that I can't pump gas there.....where is that choice?

In other words, help me understand how this is intrusive when offered a choice?

just another 'right attacks left' bs thread....

y'all do make me laugh.....

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - EverRespect - 02-04-2015 01:07 PM

If I make the "forgo the gas tax" choice, how does that work? Do I get a government issued debit card that gets me $/gallon at the pump minus the gas tax? Seems like an illogical waste of money to set up and administer this system. It would save me money if it was done by an odometer check, but I am sure as heck not submitting to government GPS tracking.

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - stinkfist - 02-04-2015 01:11 PM

(02-04-2015 01:07 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  If I make the "forgo the gas tax" choice, how does that work? Do I get a government issued debit card that gets me $/gallon at the pump minus the gas tax? Seems like an illogical waste of money to set up and administer this system. It would save me money if it was done by an odometer check, but I am sure as heck not submitting to government GPS tracking.

then you pass and pay the per/gal gas tax....

i like consumption taxation.....it's the only logical one in my book...

they will figure out the how....

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - muffinman - 02-04-2015 01:25 PM

My wife and I both put roughly 20,000 miles per year on both our cars. (We both commute some 30 miles one way, per day). So that would be 40,000 miles total and $0.015 per mile, that would come out to $600/year for "pay-by-mile" tax.

If you took that 40,000 miles and divided by the average fuel milage, say 28mpg. That would come out to 1,428 gallons of gas we've consumed per year. Since I live in TN, I'll take their $0.214 gas tax into acount, which would come out to $305.71 in gas taxes that I spent in a given year. Obviously, Oregon is a little more since they have a $0.30 gas tax.

So basically, this is a way for them get an extra $300 out of me, when it comes to TN, which it will eventually.

And dont let the phasing out of the gas tax fool you. Once this "pay-per-mile" is back in place and everyone has gotten use to it, the government will inevitably re-instate the gas tax. They arent going to leave money just lying on the table.

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - VA49er - 02-04-2015 01:27 PM

(02-04-2015 01:07 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

that was what I gleaned from the proposal.....

choice.....it is a hangin' booger that befuddles some....

I still laugh that I can't pump gas there.....where is that choice?

In other words, help me understand how this is intrusive when offered a choice?

just another 'right attacks left' bs thread....

y'all do make me laugh.....

Sort of like a "temporary tax".

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - LSU04_08 - 02-04-2015 01:42 PM

(02-04-2015 12:57 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Oh...the humanity of it all! 03-zzz

What you're not saying, however, is that you'll have to keep up with your mileage day in and day out. What percent of your average daily driver do you think will do that? What happens when you mess up?

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - GeorgeBorkFan - 02-04-2015 01:48 PM

I am NOT saying I support this. However, this is a way to get some road-related usage tax from the guys that drive the Volts and Leafs.

My state has a gas tax, plus a sales tax on gas. Most states don't have the sales tax. My state is a craphole.

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - South Carolina Duke - 02-04-2015 01:53 PM

What about the fancy-lad cyclists?

Plus no Gov't ever needs to GPS me, never,..ever!

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - GeorgeBorkFan - 02-04-2015 02:19 PM

(02-04-2015 01:53 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  What about the fancy-lad cyclists?

Plus no Gov't ever needs to GPS me, never,..ever!

Sure. And cars that run on nat gas.

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - GoodOwl - 02-04-2015 02:54 PM

(02-04-2015 01:48 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  I am NOT saying I support this. However, this is a way to get some road-related usage tax from the guys that drive the Volts and Leafs.

My state has a gas tax, plus a sales tax on gas. Most states don't have the sales tax. My state is a craphole.

Or they could just surcharge those vehicles by themselves with their annual tag fee. Simpler, cheaper to implement, and far less intrusive.

I'd also rather they surcharge vehicles based on weight as the heavier ones wear down the roads more than the lighter ones. A mile driven by a Honda does not do as much road wear damage as a mile driven by a giant truck based SUV driven solo by a 5'2" suburban housewife.

I'd rather just keep the gas taxes the way they are and do those two things to pay for the increased wear/capture usage fees from enviro vehicles.

It's the continued creep of Big Brother everywhere that bothers me the most.

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - JMUDunk - 02-04-2015 04:40 PM

(02-04-2015 12:55 PM)VA49er Wrote:  Going to laugh if the revenue actually decreases using the "usage" tax versus the gasoline tax.

And of course it will. People can be pretty bright in some instances.

Many will see this as a perfect opportunity to save some duckets yet again. Combine trips, eliminate the getting one item on sale here, another from over there. Stay home, combine getting the kids to the ballpark/practice/games etc.

You want less of something? Tax it. This is a slam dunk idiots response to whatever they are trying to address.

Hey Oregonians! Congrats, you just got a nice tax cut!

Now at what cost of privacy, well they apparently signed up for it, soooo. Me? No effing way.

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - JMUDunk - 02-04-2015 04:45 PM

(02-04-2015 01:48 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  I am NOT saying I support this. However, this is a way to get some road-related usage tax from the guys that drive the Volts and Leafs.

Right. So now the Pols in Oregon want to punish the greenies and their battery powered cars...

Way to push that alternative fuels idea. Idiots.

Can't make this stuff up.

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - Redwingtom - 02-04-2015 04:58 PM

(02-04-2015 01:11 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 01:07 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  If I make the "forgo the gas tax" choice, how does that work? Do I get a government issued debit card that gets me $/gallon at the pump minus the gas tax? Seems like an illogical waste of money to set up and administer this system. It would save me money if it was done by an odometer check, but I am sure as heck not submitting to government GPS tracking.

then you pass and pay the per/gal gas tax....

i like consumption taxation.....it's the only logical one in my book...

they will figure out the how....

The article explains that you can still participate and not add the GPS.

Quote:ODOT, through Sanef, will offer a device that tracks mileage, but does not include a GPS. With this system, the user pays for all miles driven, whether they in-state or out-of -state. Users can opt to forgo the mileage trackers and pay a high flat rate.

You just might end up paying more should you drive out of state.

RE: NO! NO! NO! This Big Brother garbage (or another word) has gone far enough! - Redwingtom - 02-04-2015 05:01 PM

(02-04-2015 04:45 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  

Right. So now the Pols in Oregon want to punish the greenies and their battery powered cars...

Way to push that alternative fuels idea. Idiots.

Can't make this stuff up.

Did you guys miss the part about this being voluntary? If you drive an electric car, clearly you aren't going to sign up.