CSNbbs
Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) (/thread-724645.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - emu steve - 01-26-2015 10:30 AM

Full week with EMU's men and women playing on different days to start the week.

I wished that the women's game could be postponed but there aren't any weeks left with only one scheduled game.

The big thing Saturday is that it is a doubleheader with the men's game first followed by the women.

That should increase the crowd size and give EMU a 30 minute window for a memorial tribute to Shannise before the women's game.

With the men slumping, but home for two games, and the women's team grieving should be an interesting week.

I assume the mens and womens basketball teams are close (they train in the same facility/courts, play occasional doubleheaders, watch each other play games, etc.).

Shannise's death has to be a shock to the members of the men's team too.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - rayEMU - 01-26-2015 10:41 AM

Very tragic indeed. But that does seem like a good setup for Saturday to hold some kind of tribute.

I see EMU men's wining this weeks games. Hopefully women won't be too distracted. That would be the best honor to win in her name.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - emussuperfan - 01-26-2015 10:51 AM

(01-26-2015 10:30 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Full week with EMU's men and women playing on different days to start the week.

I wished that the women's game could be postponed but there aren't any weeks left with only one scheduled game.

The big thing Saturday is that it is a doubleheader with the men's game first followed by the women.

That should increase the crowd size and give EMU a 30 minute window for a memorial tribute to Shannise before the women's game.

With the men slumping, but home for two games, and the women's team grieving should be an interesting week.

I assume the mens and womens basketball teams are close (they train in the same facility/courts, play occasional doubleheaders, watch each other play games, etc.).

Shannise's death has to be a shock to the members of the men's team too.

Just as with reeds death it is best to play the game in her honor than to postpone it, if it had happened that day or the day after then yes the game should have been canceled.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - emu steve - 01-26-2015 10:54 AM

(01-26-2015 10:41 AM)rayEMU Wrote:  Very tragic indeed. But that does seem like a good setup for Saturday to hold some kind of tribute.

I see EMU men's wining this weeks games. Hopefully women won't be too distracted. That would be the best honor to win in her name.

Sometimes in cases like Reed's death and maybe this time, players do reach down and play for something greater than a 'W', the memory of a teammate and friend. It becomes a cause greater than sports.

I will e-mail Heather and suggest that EMU establish a small area near the Convo hall of fame, an "In Memoriam" plaque area, where under those words they can place plaques for both Reed and Heady, as both died while EMU student-athletes. Hopefully, just one row with two plaques. No more please.

It might not be bad to have a fundraising campaign to raise money for that "In Memoriam" area. Certainly, seem like the way fans could donate small sums and directly share in the tribute.

EMU can do other things like 'retire' her locker for this season and next. Retire her jersey, frame it and display it in the "In Memoriam" plaque area.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - FrankAnderson - 01-26-2015 11:43 AM

(01-26-2015 10:54 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(01-26-2015 10:41 AM)rayEMU Wrote:  Very tragic indeed. But that does seem like a good setup for Saturday to hold some kind of tribute.

It might not be bad to have a fundraising campaign to raise money for that "In Memoriam" area. Certainly, seem like the way fans could donate small sums and directly share in the tribute.

Good idea, Steve. Crowdfunding is easy these days. I would support this financially.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - emu steve - 01-26-2015 12:24 PM

http://www.mlive.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/emu_mens_and_womens_basketball_1.html#incart_river

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - rayEMU - 01-27-2015 11:13 AM

Is there any word on Ward playing today? He is EMUs best overall player , despite his offensive slump. So definitely hope he is well and can play (and well for his sake, of course).

But if he can't play, it would be interesting to see how Bond plays in his place. It seemed he got most of his minutes at SF in Wards absence during the CMU game.

I am not one of those start-your-freshman-over-proven-seniors-because-I-can't-contain-my-unfounded-excitement types. But sometimes a change for changes sake works (ala, pistons releasing Josh Smith). Bond inserted for Ward is only justifiable in the case of injury.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - emu79 - 01-27-2015 11:27 AM

(01-27-2015 11:13 AM)rayEMU Wrote:  Is there any word on Ward playing today? He is EMUs best overall player , despite his offensive slump. So definitely hope he is well and can play (and well for his sake, of course).

But if he can't play, it would be interesting to see how Bond plays in his place. It seemed he got most of his minutes at SF in Wards absence during the CMU game.

I am not one of those start-your-freshman-over-proven-seniors-because-I-can't-contain-my-unfounded-excitement types. But sometimes a change for changes sake works (ala, pistons releasing Josh Smith). Bond inserted for Ward is only justifiable in the case of injury.

Yes I agree look at Bond's assist to turnover ratio in the CMU game. He's still learning. Honestly my impression is that Alvano might actually be better defensively than Bond but Bond is playing because of his offensive skill set and the offense is struggling right now.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - emu steve - 01-27-2015 11:33 AM

Sounds crazy but it appears that Bond's teammates aren't used to a 98 MPH fastball pass.

A few turnovers are on Bond, but his teammates aren't giving him any support.

It in his first two games, his handle wasn't too good, but it has gotten better.

BTW, Bond should have a number of assists if his teammates can make a bucket.

An assist requires a bucket, but no bucket means no assist. This team has to start making buckets the old fashion way: on nice plays involving passing.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - rayEMU - 01-27-2015 11:39 AM

Even with his length, you think Alvano is better defensively? I'll keep an eye out for that. But I agree, next year Alvano will be the starting PG. And there will need to be decisions on how to balance Lee, Bond, and the vacant minutes at SF.

But for now, if Bond can create some offense the team could use that. even if it means sacrificing some things due to his growth period. But overall I am just suggesting some limited/measured change for changes sake.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - rayEMU - 01-27-2015 11:46 AM

Steve, you can look at it from the reverse perspective as well, Bond isn't putting the right touch on his passes. And in time he will improve on his as he learns the pace of the game, his teammates abilities, etc.

Truthfully, Alvano seems to have a better natural feel for this. Though does not have the various scoring gifts that Bond has including length.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - emu79 - 01-27-2015 12:12 PM

(01-27-2015 11:39 AM)rayEMU Wrote:  Even with his length, you think Alvano is better defensively? I'll keep an eye out for that. But I agree, next year Alvano will be the starting PG. And there will need to be decisions on how to balance Lee, Bond, and the vacant minutes at SF.

But for now, if Bond can create some offense the team could use that. even if it means sacrificing some things due to his growth period. But overall I am just suggesting some limited/measured change for changes sake.

Ray just an impression the team overall was playing solid defense with Alvano starting and playing significant minutes. Alvano weakness was his outside shooting (a fault which he shares with abundance with his teammates) and he isn't as skilled and fearless about turning the corner and taking to the basket as Talley is. Also maybe a bit slower than Talley. Again confidence and experience help that.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - emu steve - 01-27-2015 03:50 PM

(01-27-2015 11:46 AM)rayEMU Wrote:  Steve, you can look at it from the reverse perspective as well, Bond isn't putting the right touch on his passes. And in time he will improve on his as he learns the pace of the game, his teammates abilities, etc.

Truthfully, Alvano seems to have a better natural feel for this. Though does not have the various scoring gifts that Bond has including length.

I think Bond is made for a much faster game. Put him on Keno's CMU team and he might go wild.

I believe he is a transition, up and down (the court) player, playing on a team which is terribly out of sync offensively. (I've seen a number of University of Maryland games. He'd be lights out on that team which has a super frosh PG, Melo Trimble, which can go up and down the court quickly.).

It is up to Murphy to find combinations which work. It might be EA as backup PG. Bond may get more time at SF, against some teams.

Then again, this team, like UofM might simply right the ship (the UofM ship was taking on water for what five games before steadying and are playing well even w/out LaVert. Ask Wisconsin.).

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - FrankAnderson - 01-27-2015 05:17 PM

We're currently favored by 5.

Haven't heard anything on Ward's ankle. Hopefully he'll be able to play a significant role tonight.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - rayEMU - 01-27-2015 05:31 PM

Definitely there is a lot of season for Murphy to correct things. And I'll give him all due credit for that if it happens. But right now, EMU has hit a wall and appears to me to be coaching based. (No injuries, collapse mid way through games, collapse mid way through season).

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - rayEMU - 01-27-2015 05:33 PM

(01-27-2015 05:17 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  We're currently favored by 5.

Haven't heard anything on Ward's ankle. Hopefully he'll be able to play a significant role tonight.

I expect EMU to win this one. Hopefully the start of a rebound

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - EagleSam - 01-27-2015 05:36 PM

Ohio has played well their last two games, including a win over Buffalo (in dramatic fashion). I'd be hard-pressed to take us straight up, much less cover the -5 at this point. We don't look like a team that can beat anyone right now. Hopefully they prove me wrong tonight.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - EagleSam - 01-27-2015 05:51 PM

(01-27-2015 05:31 PM)rayEMU Wrote:  But right now, EMU has hit a wall and appears to me to be coaching based. (No injuries, collapse mid way through games, collapse mid way through season).

Have to say it's been player-based as well. We've shot over 40% just once in MAC play thus far, and that was our overtime loss against Miami. Guys like Karrington Ward and Jodan Price just aren't shooting with confidence at all. Jodan has 12 points combined over the last 4 games...I expected much more from him.

Coaching has always been an issue on offense. Sadly this is nothing new. The abysmal shooting from guys we need to be on their game is as big of a reason for our record, at least in my opinion. KWard was a significantly better shooter last year, and it helped to space the floor for Lee and Talley. My hope was that Ward and Price could provide that same spacing this year in MAC play, but that hasn't been the case.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - emussuperfan - 01-27-2015 06:38 PM

First team to get 65 points wins.

RE: Game Week: Ohio (M), @WMU (W), WMU (M) and UB (W) - emussuperfan - 01-27-2015 06:39 PM

The spread is now 4 which makes it a toss up game.