CSNbbs
Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts (/thread-723952.html)

Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - Stpetebeachrocketfan - 01-20-2015 03:01 PM

I knew this was coming and it will come sooner rather then later for the schools in the MAC that depend both on student fees and direct insitutional support to pay for athletics. EMU is the most subsidized school in the MAC, Toledo is the least subsidized. The only choice is cuts or bring in more revenue. We shall see what happens!

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/kent-state-university-hires-consultant-to-assess-athletics-program-1.559799

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - Dog Fan - 01-20-2015 03:10 PM

I guess the ESPN contract is not such a great deal for the MAC. We're making them a fortune, but they're not helping bail the conference out. Gee, who woulda thunk it?

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - GCD70 - 01-20-2015 04:41 PM

(01-20-2015 03:10 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  I guess the ESPN contract is not such a great deal for the MAC. We're making them a fortune, but they're not helping bail the conference out. Gee, who woulda thunk it?

it is sad on how greed is taking over.

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - Lord Stanley - 01-20-2015 04:47 PM

Losing future Athletics alumni is no way to go through life, Kent and Akron.

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - RitzHuskie - 01-20-2015 04:56 PM

Akron just built that nice new football stadium facility a couple years back.

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - uiniu57 - 01-20-2015 06:16 PM

(01-20-2015 04:47 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Losing future Athletics alumni is no way to go through life, Kent and Akron.

Can you expand on what this statement means?

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - Lord Stanley - 01-21-2015 10:00 AM

(01-20-2015 06:16 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(01-20-2015 04:47 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Losing future Athletics alumni is no way to go through life, Kent and Akron.

It has been shown the Athletic alumni donate more and give back more to the university than a regular alumni.

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - BleedsHuskieRed - 01-21-2015 10:04 AM

(01-21-2015 10:00 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

It has been shown the Athletic alumni donate more and give back more to the university than a regular alumni.
Does that offset the cost of athletics?*

*still for athletics, no problem with them, think they are worthwhile

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - Lord Stanley - 01-21-2015 10:45 AM

(01-21-2015 10:04 AM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  
(01-21-2015 10:00 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

Does that offset the cost of athletics?*

*still for athletics, no problem with them, think they are worthwhile

Doesn't need to, and probably can't at a MAC institution. It's the long term goodwill of Athletics alumni, the measured increase in Athletic alumni giving over regular student alumni, and the general higher graduation rates and success rates of Athletics alumni over regular students.

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - uiniu57 - 01-21-2015 10:46 AM

(01-21-2015 10:00 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  It has been shown the Athletic alumni donate more and give back more to the university than a regular alumni.

Not being difficult, but it's hard to believe this is documented. When it comes to scholarships, endowments, funding of buildings, etc.; I'm not aware of a single school whose athletic department is better funded that the university as a whole.
Now corporate donations may be a different animal. I can see corporations being more inclined to fund athletics via naming rights and so on.
In addition, with regard to your warning for KSU and UA, are you saying NIU is speaking from experience? Without question, we've disenfranchised our most successful athletic alums from men's gymnastics. And then add on the former men's track and field, cross country, plus swimming and diving alums, and suddenly, we haven't helped those alums have an incentive to give.

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - Lord Stanley - 01-21-2015 11:05 AM

(01-21-2015 10:46 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  Not being difficult, but it's hard to believe this is documented.

It's probably not a area of huge research nor huge donations, but I've heard it from the University and there is meta-data to support this. Here is one abstract https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/04/29/giving that comes to the same general conclusion.

(01-21-2015 10:46 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  When it comes to scholarships, endowments, funding of buildings, etc.; I'm not aware of a single school whose athletic department is better funded that the university as a whole.

OK, but I wasn't making this point.

(01-21-2015 10:46 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  In addition, with regard to your warning for KSU and UA, are you saying NIU is speaking from experience? Without question, we've disenfranchised our most successful athletic alums from men's gymnastics. And then add on the former men's track and field, cross country, plus swimming and diving alums, and suddenly, we haven't helped those alums have an incentive to give.

Yes. Looking at the Alumni success of my team at NIU and knowing that most of them do not donate back to the university due to hard feelings that the team was cut, I believe there is a correlation.

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - uiniu57 - 01-21-2015 05:16 PM

Okay, I stand corrected. Even though the link is to a 2008 article, the case can be made that more people decide to give when they're excited or proud their team is doing well.
Plus I agree with you that cutting sports does create hard feelings that any school has to overcome because those alums ideally remain potential donors.

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - NIU007 - 01-21-2015 05:35 PM

My brother went to U of I and while living in dorms they tried to charge him for room damage done to the outside of his door. I know because of that one issue he hasn't donated a penny to U of I in the 25 years since he graduated and he makes very good money. So if they cut your program I can see where that would be a pretty big deal when it comes to donating or not donating.

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - NIU75 - 01-21-2015 07:08 PM

Keep in mind that 5% of the alumni donate 95% of the funds. It is the big buck donors you do not want to get mad.

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - HuskieTap22 - 01-21-2015 11:33 PM

I am not convinced the entire MAC is on board with athletics remaining at the highest level despite the league saying the membership is on board. The Kent and Akron reports make you wonder and then there was news today EMU was letting Michigan State out of its home football game with them for what appears to be financial reasons. Otherwise I am not really sure why a MAC team, and especially EMU, would cancel a deal with an instate BIG school to play at their stadium. EMU backfilled the openings with money games at Missouri.

http://www.mlive.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/emu_football_team_replaces_mic.html

Eastern Michigan athletic director Heather Lyke said. "This was not an ideal situation. We couldn't afford to play that game without a guarantee exchange."

"I think this sets up for success," Lyke said. "We are playing a strong opponent, and we are taking care of our institution financially."

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - Stpetebeachrocketfan - 01-22-2015 08:12 AM

(01-21-2015 11:33 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  I am not convinced the entire MAC is on board with athletics remaining at the highest level despite the league saying the membership is on board. The Kent and Akron reports make you wonder and then there was news today EMU was letting Michigan State out of its home football game with them for what appears to be financial reasons. Otherwise I am not really sure why a MAC team, and especially EMU, would cancel a deal with an instate BIG school to play at their stadium. EMU backfilled the openings with money games at Missouri.

http://www.mlive.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/emu_football_team_replaces_mic.html

Eastern Michigan athletic director Heather Lyke said. "This was not an ideal situation. We couldn't afford to play that game without a guarantee exchange."

"I think this sets up for success," Lyke said. "We are playing a strong opponent, and we are taking care of our institution financially."

NIU & other MAC schools do not have the revenue to pay for full cost of attendance so there will have to be more revenue or cuts to something. Universities are not going to raise student fees and they also cant afford to hand over more direct institutional support from the academic side.

RE: Kent State and Akron reviewing athletics for cuts - Stpetebeachrocketfan - 01-22-2015 08:12 AM

(01-21-2015 11:33 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  I am not convinced the entire MAC is on board with athletics remaining at the highest level despite the league saying the membership is on board. The Kent and Akron reports make you wonder and then there was news today EMU was letting Michigan State out of its home football game with them for what appears to be financial reasons. Otherwise I am not really sure why a MAC team, and especially EMU, would cancel a deal with an instate BIG school to play at their stadium. EMU backfilled the openings with money games at Missouri.

NIU & other MAC schools do not have the revenue to pay for full cost of attendance so there will have to be more revenue or cuts to something. Universities are not going to raise student fees and they also cant afford to hand over more direct institutional support from the academic side.