CSNbbs
ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Team Talk (/forum-432.html)
+----- Forum: Liberty (/forum-46.html)
+----- Thread: ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened (/thread-723435.html)

ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened - army56mike - 01-15-2015 11:21 PM

Anybody else see the article about ODU FBS status and JMU FBS aspirations threatened due to some new Bill that was introduced about spending in VA?

RE: ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened - GE and MTS - 01-16-2015 06:54 AM

I think Libertygrad posted it on the Sun Belt forum. I didn't read it but I hope it doesn't indirectly hurt Liberty.

RE: ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened - NewTimes - 01-16-2015 07:00 AM

(01-16-2015 06:54 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I think Libertygrad posted it on the Sun Belt forum. I didn't read it but I hope it doesn't indirectly hurt Liberty.
Ditto, if it happens no effect on LU.

RE: ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened - Liberty Fan - 01-16-2015 07:46 AM

Haven't read it yet but my guess is, it's ODU pushing for their new stadium. They have sold out every game and desperately need 40-50 thousand seats to help finance the program.

ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened - army56mike - 01-16-2015 12:42 PM

I believe it puts a cap on how much you can make students pay in athletic fees. Thus lowering your athletic budget. It should not effect LU as a private school.

RE: ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened - Libertygrad01 - 01-16-2015 02:05 PM

This bill would really hurt the athletic budget of all the VA state schools not named vs tech or uva. It would basically kill FBS drams for JMU. If I remember correctly, jmu gets $15,000,000 from student fees, you cut that in half and the athletic budget goes down by 7.5 million. Most va state schools charge students between $1,000-$1,500 in fees. That's out of balance if you ask me.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened - GE and MTS - 01-16-2015 05:57 PM

I think this bill is fighting the wrong battle. People are mad that schools are so expensive but it is just capitalism working itself out. Why do kids go to school if they can't afford it? They go to school to get a degree they can't afford and then get a job that doesn't need a degree because there are no jobs for recent graduates. So now everyone has a ton of debt and isn't paying it off fast enough. So once kids realize they can get the same job but just 4 years earlier, they will do that and work their way up earlier and then go to college once the company requires it and may pay for it. In the meantime school attendance will go down and colleges will be forced to cut tuition to make it more attractive for students. Then the cycle repeats. If JMU, ODU, or whoever wants to charge extra for student fees then let the market play itself out.

Just my opinion.

RE: ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened - Liberty Fan - 01-17-2015 06:01 AM

Sounds like the bill would not affect ODU until 2025, if then.

They will have a new stadium and be matching UVA and Techs attendance numbers by then.

RE: ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened - army56mike - 01-17-2015 09:29 AM

(01-17-2015 06:01 AM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  Sounds like the bill would not affect ODU until 2025, if then.

They will have a new stadium and be matching UVA and Techs attendance numbers by then.

That is a bold prediction. I would not be surprised if they were able to draw that number of fans either. They need to get that stadium pushed through in the next couple years in order to allow that growth to occur.

It'd be nice to move up to FBS and have ODU as our rival. That area is such a nice place to visit.