CSNbbs
State of WBB after Marshall loss. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: State of WBB after Marshall loss. (/thread-722527.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

State of WBB after Marshall loss. - ConradODU10 - 01-09-2015 01:29 PM

First off, doesn't the Ted had good shooting sightlines?

Are we, both the men's and women's teams, not used to them? (That's largely rhetorical.)

Thanks be to great fortune for what the men's team is doing right now, and I wish they continue to the end of the line with that.

But after the way the women's team played against Marshall (not a women's powerhouse) at our house, what do we take from it?

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - odugrad92 - 01-09-2015 01:58 PM

(01-09-2015 01:29 PM)ConradODU10 Wrote:  First off, doesn't the Ted had good shooting sightlines?

Are we, both the men's and women's teams, not used to them? (That's largely rhetorical.)

Thanks be to great fortune for what the men's team is doing right now, and I wish they continue to the end of the line with that.

But after the way the women's team played against Marshall (not a women's powerhouse) at our house, what do we take from it?

There is just no sense of team, urgency or emotion from this team. NONE

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - djnva - 01-09-2015 02:02 PM

We take that I think KB is coaching for her job the rest of the season. And it will take something pretty miraculous to save it.

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - ziggy1 - 01-09-2015 02:08 PM

I posted this on another thread, but looks like it fits better under this thread...let's carry on the conversation.

I am also one that admires Karen's enthusiasm, and wish we could have her around Lady Monarch basketball for the foreseeable future, but as others have noted, things aren't working out at all. She can motivate it seams, but X's and O's don't appear to be part of her repertoire. Without having an outstandingly talented team, no coach can ever outperform their shortcomings in game planning and execution. Time to start planning for a new/different direction.

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - monarx - 01-09-2015 02:10 PM

I like Karen and hate to see her go, but it might be time. She's a great assistant and can recruit. We need her as a recruiter and someone like Wendy drawing up the plays.

State of WBB after Marshall loss. - odu96 - 01-09-2015 02:35 PM

Corrigan effect? Lol

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - ODUBB35 - 01-09-2015 02:39 PM

Corrigan Time?

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - ODU Oldtimer - 01-09-2015 06:10 PM

(01-09-2015 02:10 PM)monarx Wrote:  I like Karen and hate to see her go, but it might be time. She's a great assistant and can recruit. We need her as a recruiter and someone like Wendy drawing up the plays.

As much as I would love to see KB remain at ODU as a recruiting director or an assistant is some capacity that will never happen. Her ship has sailed and is drifting into the Chesapeake Bay heading into the Atlantic. IMO, we need to get someone with name recognition so the program can get back on track fast. Something along the lines of what SMU did with the Larry Brown hire.

I am not sure what her contract status is and realistically it may turn out she gets one more year. If there is no financial issue, I believe Wood pulls the trigger at the end of this season. I would love for us to find someone that history or a connection with ODU, a past Lady Monarch Great.

This will be a very critical hire going forward and will have huge implications on the programs future.

Lady Monarch Fan Forever.

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - Monarch2014 - 01-10-2015 01:43 AM

I think we have a consensus. Nice lady, great enthusiasm, but not translating to big on the court success that is accustomed to Lady Monarch Basketball. Per my research...
By season:
First season (w/ Wendy's players) - 11-21 (7-11 CAA). Major upset win over SEC's Alabama over Thanksgiving holiday brings Barefoot her first win as Head Coach.

Second season - 19-12 (10-8). This was after starting off 11-3. From Jan 10th onward, 8-8, followed by a first round loss to Davidson in WNIT. Team was average when it counted, although they were likely playing with heavy hearts due to the passing of longtime volunteer assistant, Sara Jones. Perhaps Barefoot's strongest coaching in career. Barefoot and Jones were very close.

Third season (First with C-USA)- 18-16 (9-7 C-USA). The Lady Monarchs were .500 halfway through the season. Found momentum thanks to Kelley, player coach Becca Allison (now an assistant in Houston). Second round blowout loss to Auburn in WNIT after home win in first round vs NAVY. Sixth in C-USA. Jim Corrigan, longtime men's assistant, joined the staff.

Fourth season (current) - 8-5 (1-1 C-USA). Two losses to ranked teams in Duke (played well most of game), Louisville (54 point loss. ouch). Losses to a then winless Ryder, sub-par program Marshall, and California. No star player emerges after depature of Kelley. Basically the losses have been lopsided and uninspiring (Ryder excluded, an OT L, in the Ted). Sixth in C-USA.

0-10 against AP Top 25 opponents.
No conference championship games.
No NCAA postseason bids.
Overall record to present before #25 WKU is 56-54. 1-2 in WNIT postseason.

Based on this, the Lady Monarchs range from a C+ to a B-.

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - Razor Ramon Monarch - 01-10-2015 02:15 AM

B-??

Not a chance. Low C to high D. We aren't much better off now, from a bb standpoint, than we were under Wendy Larry's worst season and it's been 4 years.

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - Justanodufan - 01-10-2015 09:40 AM

(01-10-2015 02:15 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  B-??

Not a chance. Low C to high D. We aren't much better off now, from a bb standpoint, than we were under Wendy Larry's worst season and it's been 4 years.

One of the few times I agree with RRM. This team is made up mostly of her recruits (Betz white and minor are Larry recruits). Two of the starters aren't even her recruits, which means in 3 years she hasn't recruited over those two.

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - djnva - 01-10-2015 04:40 PM

Only lost by 16. Radio was spinning it as a good thing.

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - Justanodufan - 01-10-2015 04:43 PM

(01-10-2015 04:40 PM)djnva Wrote:  Only lost by 16. Radio was spinning it as a good thing.

Twitter had it as a 7 point game with 10 minutes or so left. Looks like a depth issue or did we just go ice cold?

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - djnva - 01-10-2015 04:48 PM

Don't know, but it was a 20+ point game and we knocked it down to 16.

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - LuckyLion - 01-10-2015 07:39 PM

They had it to 3 in the middle of the second half, then had a significant collapse. At least they were playing a good team and almost everyone scored. A much better effort. The offense is still very sluggish and ball handling is poor. WKU had something like 9 turnovers and ODU 19. WKU had 29 points off those turnovers.

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - ConradODU10 - 01-11-2015 12:36 PM

The great, storied, and vaunted powerhouse that is Western Kentucky Women's Basketball.

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - LuckyLion - 01-11-2015 02:51 PM

(01-11-2015 12:36 PM)ConradODU10 Wrote:  The great, storied, and vaunted powerhouse that is Western Kentucky Women's Basketball.

They are ranked #25, much like a men's team we are familiar with used to be.

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - Realistic monarch - 01-12-2015 02:37 PM

Western Kentuckys win only by 16 points hurt them they are no longer in top 25! Rutgers are at 24 and minnesota lead by our own Shae Kelley is still ranked 23 an number 25 is now Syracuse who dropped from 21

Re: RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - monarchman - 01-12-2015 02:45 PM

(01-12-2015 02:37 PM)Realistic monarch Wrote:  Western Kentuckys win only by 16 points hurt them they are no longer in top 25! Rutgers are at 24 and minnesota lead by our own Shae Kelley is still ranked 23 an number 25 is now Syracuse who dropped from 21

What a train wreck. A double digit win over the lady monarchs is enough to knock you out of the top 25. My have we fallen.

I guess Louisville knew this and remembered to add a little cushion, just in case.

RE: State of WBB after Marshall loss. - bigblue21 - 01-22-2015 08:04 PM

29 to 19 at the half, ODU women down to MTSU. Shooting 25% from the field. 0% from 3. (0 for 8). Never missed a men's or women's game for years, now I just stay home and watch the men on TV. Horrible basketball being played. Karen is in way over her head, nice girl, but that is not enough.