CSNbbs
Comments from stAte message boards - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Comments from stAte message boards (/thread-721885.html)

Pages: 1 2

Comments from stAte message boards - H2Oville Rocket - 01-05-2015 01:18 PM

I LOVE this one: "Bowling Green could probably beat us the way we're playing tonight."

And an ASU fan confirmed that an announcer DID call them Arizona State during the game.

ASU's QB is getting the brunt of the blame.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - MotoRocket - 01-05-2015 01:44 PM

This will probably be read by ASU fans and ripped on, but if we had learned how to play the screen pass correctly - regardless of how well they executed it, they do not get those 2 long TD plays. I really don't think they had the personnel to hang with us for an entire game. I also don't know if you blame our play calling or just poor execution, but the way we kept going to the bubble/tunnel screen with minimal success made no sense to me. I thought we were trying to set Macon up for a lateral and pass back, but I believe ASU was expecting that play. We can run it or defense it, so we either need to pull it out of the playbook or get the personnel out there that want to execute it correctly. On defense, you could see when it was coming and we changed nothing until about the middle of the 4 Qtr.

This will be the last time in a long time we have that type of dominance on the OL, so we had better learn quickly how to execute better.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - Terry - 01-05-2015 02:28 PM

(01-05-2015 01:44 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  This will probably be read by ASU fans and ripped on, but if we had learned how to play the screen pass correctly - regardless of how well they executed it, they do not get those 2 long TD plays. I really don't think they had the personnel to hang with us for an entire game. I also don't know if you blame our play calling or just poor execution, but the way we kept going to the bubble/tunnel screen with minimal success made no sense to me. I thought we were trying to set Macon up for a lateral and pass back, but I believe ASU was expecting that play. We can run it or defense it, so we either need to pull it out of the playbook or get the personnel out there that want to execute it correctly. On defense, you could see when it was coming and we changed nothing until about the middle of the 4 Qtr.

This will be the last time in a long time we have that type of dominance on the OL, so we had better learn quickly how to execute better.

SPOT ON!!!! about the screen plays!!!!
Toledo can't run it correctly or they run it too often. Then for some reason Toledo can not stop the opponent's screen plays.

Comments from stAte message boards - adunifon - 01-05-2015 02:48 PM

(01-05-2015 01:44 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  This will probably be read by ASU fans and ripped on, but if we had learned how to play the screen pass correctly - regardless of how well they executed it, they do not get those 2 long TD plays. I really don't think they had the personnel to hang with us for an entire game. I also don't know if you blame our play calling or just poor execution, but the way we kept going to the bubble/tunnel screen with minimal success made no sense to me. I thought we were trying to set Macon up for a lateral and pass back, but I believe ASU was expecting that play. We can run it or defense it, so we either need to pull it out of the playbook or get the personnel out there that want to execute it correctly. On defense, you could see when it was coming and we changed nothing until about the middle of the 4 Qtr.

We were also fortunate to recover all 3 of our fumbles in the first half.

We got all the breaks last night.

Game was essentially decided on the defensive TD in the last minute of the first half. They were going in to make it an 8 or 4 point game and the half and instead it was 18.

Running game was incredible last night. As always. Gonna miss those olinemen.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - H2Oville Rocket - 01-05-2015 03:05 PM

Fortunate or quicker to the ball. Frankly, we were a better team in almost every way.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - ApexRedWolf - 01-05-2015 05:26 PM

(01-05-2015 01:44 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  This will probably be read by ASU fans and ripped on, but if we had learned how to play the screen pass correctly - regardless of how well they executed it, they do not get those 2 long TD plays. I really don't think they had the personnel to hang with us for an entire game.

01-wingedeagle

I agree with adunifon. Toledo was the better team last night. We knew we were giving up alot in the trenches and had to play flawlessly to overcome that, but we didnt. When your head coach finally figured out we cant stop the run, it was over. As for the personnel comment, I'd give our edge players the advantage. The rest? Yes, I agree we couldnt hang.

I counted the ball being on the ground 7 times, Toledo recovered six of them. Every ball bounced your way essentially.

FYI, I was extremely impressed with your RB. No, not Hunt. We all knew he was good, the back-up.

Cant wait to play yall again the next couple of years, especially since that senior line is out of eligibility! 05-stirthepot

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - Terry - 01-05-2015 05:34 PM

(01-05-2015 05:26 PM)ApexRedWolf Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 01:44 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  This will probably be read by ASU fans and ripped on, but if we had learned how to play the screen pass correctly - regardless of how well they executed it, they do not get those 2 long TD plays. I really don't think they had the personnel to hang with us for an entire game.

01-wingedeagle

I agree with adunifon. Toledo was the better team last night. We knew we were giving up alot in the trenches and had to play flawlessly to overcome that, but we didnt. When your head coach finally figured out we cant stop the run, it was over. As for the personnel comment, I'd give our edge players the advantage. The rest? Yes, I agree we couldnt hang.

I counted the ball being on the ground 7 times, Toledo recovered six of them. Every ball bounced your way essentially.

FYI, I was extremely impressed with your RB. No, not Hunt. We all knew he was good, the back-up.

Cant wait to play yall again the next couple of years, especially since that senior line is out of eligibility! 05-stirthepot

The backup RB was Jones-Moore (RS FR). He also had over 100 yards rushing. However, he is actually the 3rd string RB. Terry Swanson, the #2 guy, true freshman, got hurt in the last game of the season (EMU) and wasn't available to play. Toledo is loaded with good, young running backs. Wait until you see him in September.......

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - emanoh - 01-05-2015 05:34 PM

ASU watched game film and knew we can't stop anyone's aerial attack. A huge passing night was overshadowed by our running game. We just don't have the personnel to defend the boundary. Horrible tackling and angles. Same story all season. Happy to be 9-4 with a bowl win.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - Terry - 01-05-2015 05:37 PM

(01-05-2015 05:34 PM)emanoh Wrote:  ASU watched game film and knew we can't stop anyone's aerial attack. A huge passing night was overshadowed by our running game. We just don't have the personnel to defend the boundary. Horrible tackling and angles. Same story all season. Happy to be 9-4 with a bowl win.

Don't you mean same story for a decade???? For some reason, it's been happening for years........ 03-pissed

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - inductchuck16 - 01-05-2015 11:30 PM

(01-05-2015 05:34 PM)Terry Wrote:  

01-wingedeagle

The backup RB was Jones-Moore (RS FR). He also had over 100 yards rushing. However, he is actually the 3rd string RB. Terry Swanson, the #2 guy, true freshman, got hurt in the last game of the season (EMU) and wasn't available to play. Toledo is loaded with good, young running backs. Wait until you see him in September.......

This statement makes me happy, those are 3 talented backs and we have them all for a few more years. I just wish we weren't graduating all of our staring OL. You can look at a team like Michigan for an example of what it's like to have a very young and inexperienced OL, doesn't bode well.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - Boca Rocket - 01-05-2015 11:58 PM

(01-05-2015 11:30 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 05:34 PM)Terry Wrote:  

01-wingedeagle

This statement makes me happy, those are 3 talented backs and we have them all for a few more years. I just wish we weren't graduating all of our staring OL. You can look at a team like Michigan for an example of what it's like to have a very young and inexperienced OL, doesn't bode well.

OSU's OL also graduated Mewhort, Linsley, Norwell, and Hall last year and it has worked out ok this season.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - H2Oville Rocket - 01-06-2015 12:09 AM

No comments on the BG thing? I loved that.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - eastisbest - 01-06-2015 04:41 AM

(01-05-2015 11:58 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 11:30 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  This statement makes me happy, those are 3 talented backs and we have them all for a few more years. I just wish we weren't graduating all of our staring OL. You can look at a team like Michigan for an example of what it's like to have a very young and inexperienced OL, doesn't bode well.

OSU's OL also graduated Mewhort, Linsley, Norwell, and Hall last year and it has worked out ok this season.

Ask TCU if it worked out okay. OSU has enough power, money and influence to where an early season loss only puts their postseason possibilities at discussion. We'd have trouble being ranked.

Major priority I hope is depth so that we do not go through the same problems at OL that we went through in the secondary this year.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - eastisbest - 01-06-2015 04:44 AM

(01-06-2015 12:09 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  No comments on the BG thing? I loved that.

Struck me as odd, not sure why BG was on their radar screen as opposed to a conference rival of their own.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - H2Oville Rocket - 01-06-2015 10:14 AM

(01-06-2015 04:44 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 12:09 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  No comments on the BG thing? I loved that.

Struck me as odd, not sure why BG was on their radar screen as opposed to a conference rival of their own.

My take was they knew they were bowling against a MAC team and were citing the weakest one they could think of.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - eastisbest - 01-06-2015 10:59 AM

(01-06-2015 10:14 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 04:44 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  

My take was they knew they were bowling against a MAC team and were citing the weakest one they could think of.

But, but, but, we had to put a state logo on our players' heads because those Southerners apparently don't know where Toledo is. Are you saying, they know where BG is?

Oh

the humanity.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - arkstfan - 01-06-2015 11:42 AM

(01-05-2015 02:48 PM)adunifon Wrote:  

Game was essentially decided on the defensive TD in the last minute of the first half. They were going in to make it an 8 or 4 point game and the half and instead it was 18.

You win by being aware of what is going on and reacting. Recovering fumbles is only partly luck.

I will say this. I cannot believe Booker Mays outran ANYONE weighing less than 300 pounds three times.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - FtLauderdaleRocket - 01-06-2015 01:20 PM

(01-06-2015 11:42 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  I will say this. I cannot believe Booker Mays outran ANYONE weighing less than 300 pounds three times.
After watching Toledo's DBs for the last few years, sadly, I can. 03-banghead

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - Crump1 - 01-06-2015 02:13 PM

(01-05-2015 02:48 PM)adunifon Wrote:  

Bingo. ASU hasn't stopped anyone from running the ball since the halfway point of the year. Everyone had a back run for 200 against out young and undersized front that the previous coaches left us with. We knew we had no chance to stop Toledo from running the ball and Toledo has a better OL than most teams we face in a season.

I thought we would use our speed and quickness on offense to make it a shootout and it would have been if not for the second turnover for a TD. You guys did get every bounce in the first half but that is what it takes to win games.

ASU returned one starter on the OL this year and set a record for points scored in the SBC despite not having the personnel to line up and get one yard when we needed it. I thought we were faster and much better throwing the ball but you guys were stronger and had a much better power running game.

I expect a fun game next year in Toledo. We return 9 players on offense including every skill player and our fastest player who couldn't play in the bowl game. I suspect you guys will still have a solid OL despite losing all the starters so our DL need to get better.

RE: Comments from stAte message boards - therockets046 - 01-06-2015 04:26 PM

I loved what we did with the screen game. Other than the one pass to Hunt that was a loss of 5, I can't remember any negative screen plays. Not only did it get us yardage but it kept the defense honest on the edges, made it tougher to get to the QB, made the defense keep running around, and opened up more running lanes for our RB's when they called their number. By the end of the game we wore the Indians down so bad there was nothing they could have done.

Another +1 for that BG comment too, however it came about!