CSNbbs
Hofstra - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Hofstra (/thread-721341.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Hofstra - Seahawk Nation 08 - 01-01-2015 01:45 PM

We're 48 hours away from our conference opener. Hofstra comes in at 9-4 with 4 road wins and 2 recent blowouts over Long Island and Central Connecticut.

The Pride have four players scoring in double digits, led by a Niagara transfer, Junior Ameen Tanksley (19.5 ppg, 6.2 rpg).

Hofstra only has 142 turnovers on the season compared to 181 for opponents, doesn't get out-rebounded often and shoots from a high clip beyond the perimeter (.421). I.E. they're a pretty scary opponent for us to open against.

Hofstra - B_Hawk06 - 01-01-2015 01:57 PM

We're going to have to keep our rebound numbers high against them to give us a chance. Staying out of foul trouble early and playing smart defense is a must too. Smart defense leads to not being as rushed on offense which pushes us to a lot of turnovers.

RE: Hofstra - billthebighawksfan - 01-01-2015 02:39 PM

Yea Y'all, Hofstra is looking like world beaters right now! Tough opener.

RE: Hofstra - solohawks - 01-01-2015 10:27 PM

Hofstra and northeastern look to be the class of the caa. Big test to start things off

RE: Hofstra - Tommy Teke - 01-02-2015 06:43 AM

Looking forward to the game !!! Hope there is a good crowd there to root us on to victory !!

RE: Hofstra - B_Hawk06 - 01-02-2015 04:03 PM

Are the students back in town yet? They should be right?

RE: Hofstra - Proff - 01-02-2015 06:49 PM

We're 2.5 point dogs.

Hofstra - B_Hawk06 - 01-02-2015 07:33 PM

Only 2.5??!!

That seems kinda low considering all that has been stated so far. I'll take it though!

RE: Hofstra - solohawks - 01-02-2015 07:39 PM

(01-02-2015 04:03 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  Are the students back in town yet? They should be right?

classes start monday so they will be trickling in

RE: Hofstra - billthebighawksfan - 01-03-2015 03:00 PM

That was a good half of ball by UNCW! Hawks up 11 and it should be even more. Still, Hofstra is very good and will make a run. Talley has looked good at PG, Ponder has hit shots and Gettys was terrific!

RE: Hofstra - billthebighawksfan - 01-03-2015 03:24 PM

Hawks playing dumb ball again and getting beat down the floor. Kone is a flopper.

RE: Hofstra - billthebighawksfan - 01-03-2015 03:31 PM

Hawks implode completely and Talley is now hurt. Hawks down 1 and Talley is out. That means the Hawks are done. Williams can't get the ball and isn't posting. Wow.

RE: Hofstra - billthebighawksfan - 01-03-2015 03:41 PM

Hawks up 6 now AND ANOTHER HORRIBLE CALL. Nesbit completely out of control. Under 8 minutes. Still no Talley!!

RE: Hofstra - billthebighawksfan - 01-03-2015 03:53 PM

Hawks down 4 after a T on Jackson. Spruill with a 3 cuts it to 3. Only guy looking good this half. Talley back in thankfully!!

RE: Hofstra - billthebighawksfan - 01-03-2015 03:58 PM

I love CP, but he doesn't think the game sometimes. You can't foul their star guard. He will make both every time. Hawks down 5 with 3 to go.

RE: Hofstra - billthebighawksfan - 01-03-2015 04:00 PM

Freddie has missed WIDE open shots all night. If he hits half of them Hawks win. Now Talley with a dumb foul. Hawks are done now.

RE: Hofstra - 70shawk - 01-03-2015 05:06 PM

Did Sherwood even play?

RE: Hofstra - 82hawk - 01-03-2015 06:00 PM

Went to the game:

1. They had no one that could handle CJ in the post. So, we stopped going to him in the 2nd half. No reason I can think of. If CJ ever realizes he doesn't need 3 or 4 fakes to shoot, and instead just posts and goes up, he will be hard to handle.

2. Ced doesn't need to shoot a three ever again. He spends too much time outside the lane, and is settling for short jumpers which he has lost all confidence in.

3. We're getting the ball out on the break, then pulling back far too often. When we've got defenders on their heels, we need to continue to the bucket. That's Freddie's game, and we're not using him properly.

4. Spruill needs to face up in the half court set, Make a few shoulder fakes, then take his man to the bucket. He's a tough stop for a 3, and can go around most 4's on defense.

Last, we have got to play tougher. Hofstra came out with passion and anger in the 2nd. half, and we didn't match their intensity. I hate to keep pounding on this, but Yemi brought that fire to this team, and was the leader on the floor.

We look too tentative on offense, and there isn't any flow when we go into our droughts. 20 points in a half won't get it for this squad.

Oh, and Hofstra with 43 FT attempts to our 15. Some bad calls, but they were just more aggressive.

RE: Hofstra - jumpinmullet - 01-04-2015 10:50 AM

I did not go to the game but was told they played very soft on both ends.

RE: Hofstra - billthebighawksfan - 01-04-2015 02:46 PM

It could be that the Pride played stronger in the 2nd half, but I agree with Coach Keatts assessment. He felt that when our offense stopped moving and moving the ball then our defense wasn't as good. Same thing happened to the Pride in the 1st half. UNCW played some good defense yesterday in the 1st half. Hofstra's coach made a good call to switch to the zone late and dodged a few bullets. It put the emphasis on the Hawks stepping up and knocking down a few or attacking it with some dribble penetration/ball reversals and/or low/high post entries. Hawks didn't execute for much of the 2nd half and that was the difference. Hawks still played well for a good stretch. Hofstra has a couple of really good players this year.

I did like hearing Ponder and Williams in the post game interview. Both are class guys and are fun people to pull for. Craig stated that the Hawks didn't execute and commented that Jordan Talley did a good job at PG. He's right about that-Talley is a good PG. Heck, if Jordan played that whole 2nd half (instead of sitting due to injury), I think that the Hawks go on to win. And, they play pretty well together as long as Talley is the point and Craig can score. Big Ced was a stand up guy about not starting and showed maturity as did Craig P. He ended up playing a bunch as well.

Sherwood not playing was a bit perplexing, but he hasn't been the athletic Dillan pre-ankle injury guy lately either. Hopefully he can get back in there a bit because he can shoot/score. When healthy, he can run. I'd at least give him a little bit of run at forward or wing to see if he can get rolling. Keatts could even zone up and have him on the perimeter of the zone to cause havoc if need be as a change of pace. Just a thought. That could give Freddie/Addison a little rest at times.