CSNbbs
GOL future at UCF. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: GOL future at UCF. (/thread-720828.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

GOL future at UCF. - nosurf2day - 12-28-2014 12:05 AM

Question: I really hope he stays for the remainder of his contract but with rumored departure of O'Leary earlier in the year and an article later where he was quoted as saying he would know when it was time but he wasn't planning on leaving. The journalist said so your staying then, he said, I didn't say that, I will know when it's time.

I think there are a few years left in his contract, not sure how many, my question is who would the likely targets be for replacement?

I feel confident that a P5 HC on the outs would not take over that job.

I hear rumblings of promotion from within, i.e. Brent Key to maintain the culture of the program. Not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing.

Can anyone else think of who might be interested in taking a HC job at UCF?

How would that position be looked at from OC/DC/HC coaches in the P5?

RE: GOL future at UCF. - TheEastisPurple - 12-28-2014 12:13 AM

(12-28-2014 12:05 AM)nosurf2day Wrote:  Question: I really hope he stays for the remainder of his contract but with rumored departure of O'Leary earlier in the year and an article later where he was quoted as saying he would know when it was time but he wasn't planning on leaving. The journalist said so your staying then, he said, I didn't say that, I will know when it's time.

I think there are a few years left in his contract, not sure how many, my question is who would the likely targets be for replacement?

I feel confident that a P5 HC on the outs would not take over that job.

I hear rumblings of promotion from within, i.e. Brent Key to maintain the culture of the program. Not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing.

Can anyone else think of who might be interested in taking a HC job at UCF?

How would that position be looked at from OC/DC/HC coaches in the P5?

I would think it would look pretty good. UCF made a name for themselves in the Fiesta bowl. They are in a recruiting hotbed and appear to be set up for success (15-1 in their current conference). Not sure how much UCF is able to offer to pay coaches but my guess is you guys are pretty decent in that category as well.

On top of that if the situation is O'Leary retiring that is a plus as well. Easier to take over a well stocked team with a winning tradition recently then taking over a 2-10 program where the coach was fired.

But all that is just my opinion and obviously I am not a college coach.

RE: GOL future at UCF. - Solidkjames - 12-28-2014 12:23 AM

George O'Leary will probably be coaching 10 years from now. I can't see that man not coaching football. He is a lifer like Joe Pa. Just with a better resume. 03-wink

GOL future at UCF. - nosurf2day - 12-28-2014 12:28 AM

(12-28-2014 12:23 AM)Solidkjames Wrote:  George O'Leary will probably be coaching 10 years from now......Just with a better resume. 03-wink

lol I got a good laugh out of this, I hope he doesn't leave he has brought UCF a long ways

I read just now in an NBC Sports article.

"As first reported by Jeremy Fowler of CBSSports.com, O’Leary’s new deal will make him one of the highest paid coaches in the American. Though UCF has yet to make the contract extension news official, it is expected O’Leary will receive over $2 million in annual salary after incentives.

According to a database of coaching salaries compiled by USA Today, O’Leary was paid $1,534,728 in 2013. That made him the sixth highest paid coach n the conference. That salary would have been enough to leave O’Leary the fourth-highest coach in the conference this fall following the realignment changes seeing Louisville leave for the ACC and a coaching change at Connecticut. Cincinnati’s Tommy Tuberville is the highest paid coach in the conference, earning $3,143,000 according to the most recent coaching salary database."

I wonder if a new coach would get the same $? That is a far cry from the $8mil Michigan is offering Harbaugh.

RE: GOL future at UCF. - firmbizzle - 12-28-2014 01:57 AM

It's hard to get excited with GOL as coach.

RE: GOL future at UCF. - KNIGHTTIME - 12-28-2014 09:22 AM

I hope he stays for a while. Reading the rivals board makes us sound like retards wanting him fired.

RE: GOL future at UCF. - jaredf29 - 12-28-2014 11:38 AM

I don't want Key, it's not a very exciting hire. UCF won't draw a P5 coach away that's been successful so the best option is to hire a good coach away from a winning G5 program or a highly vaunted coordinator from a great program, the Kirby Smart types (although we couldn't get him). Someone mentioned Geoff Collins, which sounds like a good idea. He was mentored by GOL and took over Ole Miss' defense and made them into the land sharks. I wouldn't be opposed to Bo Pelini. He's basically GOL but thirty years younger.

GOL future at UCF. - Knightbengal - 12-28-2014 12:08 PM

Gol will coach for at least one more year. If Hitt stays on then I think it's highly likely key gets the nod. Gol takes care of his people and key turned down several interview ops. Gol wants continuity and he wants to remain influential in the program so that his legacy/way of doing things remains. If he leaves soon key will be the coach. Depending on what he hears about realignment will also influence it. He wants to shepherd us into a p5. We would be attractive to others but we won't look.

RE: GOL future at UCF. - knightastic - 12-28-2014 12:08 PM

(12-28-2014 11:38 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  I don't want Key, it's not a very exciting hire. UCF won't draw a P5 coach away that's been successful so the best option is to hire a good coach away from a winning G5 program or a highly vaunted coordinator from a great program, the Kirby Smart types (although we couldn't get him). Someone mentioned Geoff Collins, which sounds like a good idea. He was mentored by GOL and took over Ole Miss' defense and made them into the land sharks. I wouldn't be opposed to Bo Pelini. He's basically GOL but thirty years younger.

if Colorado State can get Georgia's OC, UCF can do better than most of our own fans even realize. No to Bo Pelini, if UCF is going to go after a coach with baggage again see if Butch Davis would pick up the phone, that would be a home run hire.

I HATE the rumors that Key is just going to be handed the job. He will run this program into the ground. Other options will be risks but I think Key is even more of a risk

RE: GOL future at UCF. - KNIGHTTIME - 12-28-2014 12:16 PM

(12-28-2014 12:08 PM)knightastic Wrote:  
(12-28-2014 11:38 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  I don't want Key, it's not a very exciting hire. UCF won't draw a P5 coach away that's been successful so the best option is to hire a good coach away from a winning G5 program or a highly vaunted coordinator from a great program, the Kirby Smart types (although we couldn't get him). Someone mentioned Geoff Collins, which sounds like a good idea. He was mentored by GOL and took over Ole Miss' defense and made them into the land sharks. I wouldn't be opposed to Bo Pelini. He's basically GOL but thirty years younger.

if Colorado State can get Georgia's OC, UCF can do better than most of our own fans even realize. No to Bo Pelini, if UCF is going to go after a coach with baggage again see if Butch Davis would pick up the phone, that would be a home run hire.

I HATE the rumors that Key is just going to be handed the job. He will run this program into the ground. Other options will be risks but I think Key is even more of a risk

Why not Key? Just because he has been an assistant at UCF? So an assistant at a P5 school assumed to be better even though they have a tv contract worth 2000% and higher rated recruits. I'd rather find a coach that can win with almost no resources.

For now having O'leary is a pretty good option. The guy has done well at GA Tech and UCF. I'd ride this until he is ready to retire.

RE: GOL future at UCF. - knightastic - 12-28-2014 12:19 PM

(12-28-2014 12:16 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

Why not Key? Just because he has been an assistant at UCF? So an assistant at a P5 school assumed to be better even though they have a tv contract worth 2000% and higher rated recruits. I'd rather find a coach that can win with almost no resources.

For now having O'leary is a pretty good option. The guy has done well at GA Tech and UCF. I'd ride this until he is ready to retire.

Key doesn't do 1 thing exceptionally well. Throw rocks at me but I'd rather have an assistant with years under Saban than O'Leary. The Program was a Storm Johnson transfer away from being a perennial St Pete Bowl participant

RE: GOL future at UCF. - jaredf29 - 12-28-2014 12:30 PM

Key really hasn't coached up the O line that well. Last year everything lined up well and we had so many seniors and experienced O line, this year people were living in our backfield and we could not run the ball. We were one dimensional and the teams that realized that were the ones we lost to, excluding BYU.

RE: GOL future at UCF. - NavyKnight - 12-28-2014 12:38 PM

I would be ok on taking the chance on an up and coming assistant coach. What's the worst to happen we go to the st Pete bowl? It's access bowl or bust for all G5. Three options access bowl, a not so great AAC bowl with no real reward to a conference champion, or no bowl. I say take the chance and see if UCF football can find a way to be a top 25 caliber team consistently.

RE: GOL future at UCF. - KNIGHTTIME - 12-28-2014 12:38 PM

(12-28-2014 12:19 PM)knightastic Wrote:  
(12-28-2014 12:16 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

Key doesn't do 1 thing exceptionally well. Throw rocks at me but I'd rather have an assistant with years under Saban than O'Leary. The Program was a Storm Johnson transfer away from being a perennial St Pete Bowl participant

Of couse Alabama wins, they get the best players in the country. Being an assistant at Alabama doesn't prove they can win with 2 and 3 star players and g5 status. I don't know either way, but don't assume one of our assistants doesn't have what it takes. We could end up with a coach like Southern Miss had that went winless and now is back in the p5 dominating again. I'd rather not gut our program with a riskY move. Ride o'leary as long as we can.

RE: GOL future at UCF. - knightastic - 12-28-2014 12:44 PM

(12-28-2014 12:38 PM)NavyKnight Wrote:  I would be ok on taking the chance on an up and coming assistant coach. What's the worst to happen we go to the st Pete bowl? It's access bowl or bust for all G5. Three options access bowl, a not so great AAC bowl with no real reward to a conference champion, or no bowl. I say take the chance and see if UCF football can find a way to be a top 25 caliber team consistently.
+1

say GOL retires next December and assume UCF holds on to the Bo QB commit...the new coach would have 3 QBs on the depth chart(holman, harris, and bo) that are 6'3 -6'4 that have the talent to make all the throws. The AAC is such a bad conference that a decent QB alone could get you to 6 wins.

UCF fans forget GOL was the first coach that got all these facilities and the bigger budget. So they are comparing him to no one bc all the previous coaches never got the administration's support and were working with no facilities. Give the keys to someone new to jumpstart UCF's recruiting potential

RE: GOL future at UCF. - KNIGHTTIME - 12-28-2014 12:45 PM

(12-28-2014 12:38 PM)NavyKnight Wrote:  I would be ok on taking the chance on an up and coming assistant coach. What's the worst to happen we go to the st Pete bowl? It's access bowl or bust for all G5. Three options access bowl, a not so great AAC bowl with no real reward to a conference champion, or no bowl. I say take the chance and see if UCF football can find a way to be a top 25 caliber team consistently.

You can see how well that hire and fire is working for schools like usf trying to find the next hot coach. Southern Miss is another example firing Bower. If you want the access bowl, o'leary gives us the best shot. If we make 1 play on the last drive at Penn State and it wasn't 40 degree and raining at uconn, we get the access bowl slot. That is a lot of "ifs", but that wasn't a big leap for us even after losing our OLINE and top 3 pick QB.

RE: GOL future at UCF. - knightastic - 12-28-2014 12:47 PM

(12-28-2014 12:45 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

You can see how well that hire and fire is working for schools like usf trying to find the next hot coach. Southern Miss is another example firing Bower. If you want the access bowl, o'leary gives us the best shot. If we make 1 play on the last drive at Penn State and it wasn't 40 degree and raining at uconn, we get the access bowl slot. That is a lot of "ifs", but that wasn't a big leap for us even after losing our OLINE and top 3 pick QB.

Butch Davis would make everyone forget about GOL very quickly ..we would actually have a team with speed and recruit Florida again

RE: GOL future at UCF. - KNIGHTTIME - 12-28-2014 12:51 PM

(12-28-2014 12:44 PM)knightastic Wrote:  
+1

say GOL retires next December and assume UCF holds on to the Bo QB commit...the new coach would have 3 QBs on the depth chart(holman, harris, and bo) that are 6'3 -6'4 that have the talent to make all the throws. The AAC is such a bad conference that a decent QB alone could get you to 6 wins.

UCF fans forget GOL was the first coach that got all these facilities and the bigger budget. So they are comparing him to no one bc all the previous coaches never got the administration's support and were working with no facilities. Give the keys to someone new to jumpstart UCF's recruiting potential

What "facilities"? We have an aluminum stadium that is a down right embarrassment. The practice field is just a metal warehouse. Give me a break. FAU's stadium although small looks much better. There isn't a facilities advantage in ucf football. Go look at NC state's facilities and compare at mid level acc level.

RE: GOL future at UCF. - KnightLight - 12-28-2014 12:53 PM

Amazing how you are the only one that knows what the future entails.

No clue why a NFL team, let alone a college team, hasn't scoop you up by now.

RE: GOL future at UCF. - KNIGHTTIME - 12-28-2014 12:53 PM

(12-28-2014 12:47 PM)knightastic Wrote:  
(12-28-2014 12:45 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

Butch Davis would make everyone forget about GOL very quickly ..we would actually have a team with speed and recruit Florida again

Can butch win without cheating? I think we are on probation until 2017. A giant no to butch!