CSNbbs
BBJ Spin: UAB study projects declining athletic donations next yr-increases after - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: BBJ Spin: UAB study projects declining athletic donations next yr-increases after (/thread-720729.html)

BBJ Spin: UAB study projects declining athletic donations next yr-increases after - WesternBlazer - 12-26-2014 10:34 PM

UAB study projects declining athletic donations next year - increases after that
http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2014/12/26/uab-study-projects-declining-athletic-donations.html

So, the BBJ has put its spin on the report. Isn't there a BBA connection with the BBJ?

RE: BBJ Spin: UAB study projects declining athletic donations next yr-increases after - biglizard - 12-26-2014 10:50 PM

I think the article is just parroting the Carr report. For the life of me I can't understand what makes Carr think that athletic giving will actually be at a higher level in 4-5 years. One marquee sport that ain't football. Fans, alumni, faculty and students alienated. City that now won't give you the time of day. Probably playing in a significantly reduced conference. The fact that Carr ignored or dismissed all the lost goodwill really shows how flawed this "data driven" process has been.

RE: BBJ Spin: UAB study projects declining athletic donations next yr-increases after - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 12-26-2014 10:55 PM

I don't know how many were, like myself, primarily a football fan. I joined the Blazer Club so my wife (with her "walker") could use the elevator instead of the ramps or stairs at Legion Field. With no need now to go there at all, I will not make that financial sacrifice to qualify. I may contribute to the College of Education at some future time, but that is not presently an issue I want to deal with.

RE: BBJ Spin: UAB study projects declining athletic donations next yr-increases after - WesternBlazer - 12-26-2014 10:55 PM

I think phrases like "XXX claims..." rather than "According to XXX..." is a subtle way of discounting what a party says.

RE: BBJ Spin: UAB study projects declining athletic donations next yr-increases after - PTBlazer - 12-26-2014 11:36 PM

If they expect that the donations to increase, they are betting on basketball in a very, very big way.

RE: BBJ Spin: UAB study projects declining athletic donations next yr-increases after - Marathon Blazer - 12-27-2014 10:58 PM

Maybe the increased donations is figured from the removal of Ray Watts as President. Hope it doesn't take that long.

RE: BBJ Spin: UAB study projects declining athletic donations next yr-increases after - blzr4life - 12-27-2014 11:07 PM

Must have been on crack. With football gone, B'ball sucking wind and moving to a lower conference to boot....no way it increases. Not another dime from me!

RE: BBJ Spin: UAB study projects declining athletic donations next yr-increases after - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 12-28-2014 02:39 PM

(12-27-2014 11:07 PM)blzr4life Wrote:  Must have been on crack. With football gone, B'ball sucking wind and moving to a lower conference to boot....no way it increases. Not another dime from me!

Does anyone seriously believe the Bama Athletic Department could afford to spend about $200,000 annually per athlete (since 2008) without football driving donations? UA itself pays only about $250,000 of the $10 million the football coaches make annually just by themselves. Why would anyone expect UAB to be able to do any better now that football has been killed? Maybe like the Alabama politicians, they pin their hopes on a huge increase in federal money pouring in for UA Medicine.