CSNbbs
Boca Raton - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Boca Raton (/thread-720413.html)

Pages: 1 2

Boca Raton - bitcruncher - 12-23-2014 08:36 PM

How come nobody is talking about this game? Is it not noteworthy, since Marshall, the team that had such a horrible schedule, is beating NIU?

I'll bet if the Herd were losing, there'd be all kinds of talk about this game.

RE: Boca Raton - freshtop - 12-23-2014 09:13 PM

(12-23-2014 08:36 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  How come nobody is talking about this game? Is it not noteworthy, since Marshall, the team that had such a horrible schedule, is beating NIU?

You are probably right on that one. Too many people were wanting Marshall to fail because their OOC schedule was lacking P5 teams. This NIU win is their most impressive of the year for sure. I hope Marshall ends the season ranked.

RE: Boca Raton - Michael the Narwhal - 12-23-2014 09:31 PM

Great game, and well played by Marshall. Hats off from this NIU fan.

I never got all the harping about Marshall not playing P5 teams. P5 doesn't automatically equal good. Iowa State, Purdue, and Wake Forest are good examples of this. Beating the crap out of "lesser" opponents, as they did, is just as good as a squeak win against a Virginia Tech/Kansas State level program.

RE: Boca Raton - bitcruncher - 12-23-2014 09:37 PM

It surprised me how easily Marshall handled NIU. I thought the Huskies would put up a better fight.

Congrats to the Herd.

RE: Boca Raton - firmbizzle - 12-23-2014 09:46 PM

It was a great G4 national championship game.

RE: Boca Raton - Lord Stanley - 12-23-2014 09:54 PM

At least the crowd look good. Everything else well, meh.

RE: Boca Raton - SApuro - 12-23-2014 10:00 PM

Nice way to kick off a new bowl. Attendance looked solid.

RE: Boca Raton - Knightsweat - 12-23-2014 10:35 PM

Any fights after the game?

RE: Boca Raton - MUHERD76 - 12-23-2014 10:41 PM

(12-23-2014 10:00 PM)SApuro Wrote:  Nice way to kick off a new bowl. Attendance looked solid.

Crowd was okay but nowhere near what the Bowl Committee was pumping. After Marshall sold its allotment, I thought there would be a good Marshall crowd and then all of a sudden the Bowl Committee was saying the entire game was sold out. Obviously it wasn't but here are the quotes:

If you’ve been waiting to buy tickets for next week’s inaugural Boca Raton Bowl, you might have waited too long.

Bowl officials said this week that tickets for Tuesday’s game, which pits Conference USA champion Marshall against Mid-American Conference champion Northern Illinois at FAU Stadium, are gone aside from a relative handful of end-zone seats.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/college-football/tickets-all-but-gone-for-first-boca-raton-bowl-nex/njTyJ/

The game between Marshall and Northern Illinois is sold out, with 30,000 fans filling the FAU stadium Tuesday night.

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-s-palm-beach-county/boca-raton/boca-raton-bowl-2014-boca-bowl-pumps-millions-into-local-economy

RE: Boca Raton - johnbragg - 12-23-2014 11:08 PM

(12-23-2014 08:36 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  How come nobody is talking about this game? Is it not noteworthy, since Marshall, the team that had such a horrible schedule, is beating NIU?

No, it's not. Interest in Marshall was driven by them being undefeated and by the Access Bowl chase. Show's over, nobody cares anymore. NIU-Marshall is just another game.

Boca Raton got no more or less attention than Miami Beach did before the fight.

RE: Boca Raton - bullitt_60 - 12-23-2014 11:15 PM

Marshall is a good football team.

I come here to drop insightful bits of CFB knowledge like that on y'all.

RE: Boca Raton - MWC Tex - 12-23-2014 11:25 PM

The Cusa and Mac boards are talking about it. I watched as it was a good matchup and having two conference champions play made me interested to see the game.

RE: Boca Raton - TexanMark - 12-23-2014 11:39 PM

??? on the attendance...looked like 12k there.

RE: Boca Raton - Love and Honor - 12-24-2014 01:18 AM

29,419 is the announced attendance...

RE: Boca Raton - TexanMark - 12-24-2014 01:25 AM

(12-24-2014 01:18 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  29,419 is the announced attendance...

I'm sure there were 29k tickets distributed...reality sez less than half.

RE: Boca Raton - SApuro - 12-24-2014 04:28 AM

(12-24-2014 01:25 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(12-24-2014 01:18 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  29,419 is the announced attendance...

I'm sure there were 29k tickets distributed...reality sez less than half.

Crowd looked better than the Miami and Camelli Bowls.

RE: Boca Raton - MarshallHerdFanz - 12-24-2014 07:07 AM

(12-23-2014 11:08 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

No, it's not. Interest in Marshall was driven by them being undefeated and by the Access Bowl chase. Show's over, nobody cares anymore. NIU-Marshall is just another game.

Watching two conference champions playing are overrated? Oregon-FSU and Ohio State-BAMA are overrated too? Go back to the overrated Big East.

RE: Boca Raton - quo vadis - 12-24-2014 07:53 AM

I watched this game, as it pitted two of the top G5 teams. Great performance by Marshall.

RE: Boca Raton - johnbragg - 12-24-2014 08:00 AM

(12-24-2014 07:07 AM)MarshallHerdFanz Wrote:  
(12-23-2014 11:08 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

Watching two conference champions playing are overrated? Oregon-FSU and Ohio State-BAMA are overrated too? Go back to the overrated Big East.

I didn't say over-rated. I said it was just another game. And I expect the ratings to back me up, that Boca Raton will perform about like the Miami Beach Bowl did, say between a 1.1 and a 1.5.

Conference champ vs conference champ would help if it were a standing event, where ESPN picked a bowl to match to G5 champs every year, not something improvised two or three weeks in advance. People who aren't CUSA or MAC fans probably don't know off the top of their head that NIU is the MAC champ this year.

And I stand by the argument that MArshall drew interest this year because they were undefeated, not because they are MArshall or because they're CUSA champs. Once they stopped being undefeated, the clock struck midnight and Cinderella had to go home.

RE: Boca Raton - Hokie4Skins - 12-24-2014 08:01 AM

Too bad Marshall lost to WKU. I would've preferred seeing an undefeated Marshall playing a P5 team on New Year's rather than 2 loss Boise.