CSNbbs
BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight (/thread-720327.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - TIGERCITY - 12-23-2014 11:53 AM

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1981900-155/byu-football-ugly-game-ending-brawl-mars

...As video clips of BYU players fighting with Memphis players after the Tigers’ 55-48 victory in double overtime went viral and made their way across media outlets across the country, BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe issued an apology on Twitter.

"We expect better of our athletes, even in the face of a difficult loss," Holmoe wrote. "We intend to fully review this matter. I apologize to Cougar Nation."

The ugliness erupted after Memphis’ DaShaughn Terry intercepted Christian Stewart’s pass to end the game.

The brawl appeared to have erupted after helmeted BYU center Tejan Koroma bumped helmet-less Memphis defensive end Martin Ifedi in the head...

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - BIgCatonProwl - 12-23-2014 11:55 AM

(12-23-2014 11:53 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1981900-155/byu-football-ugly-game-ending-brawl-mars

...As video clips of BYU players fighting with Memphis players after the Tigers’ 55-48 victory in double overtime went viral and made their way across media outlets across the country, BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe issued an apology on Twitter.

"We expect better of our athletes, even in the face of a difficult loss," Holmoe wrote. "We intend to fully review this matter. I apologize to Cougar Nation."

The ugliness erupted after Memphis’ DaShaughn Terry intercepted Christian Stewart’s pass to end the game.

The brawl appeared to have erupted after helmeted BYU center Tejan Koroma bumped helmet-less Memphis defensive end Martin Ifedi in the head...

So much for a Memphis player starting it, BYU is so full of themselves, couple times in UH games things came close to fist of cuffs with these guys, they are dirty players, and like to talk a lot of trash.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - SublimeKnight - 12-23-2014 12:02 PM

(12-23-2014 11:55 AM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  So much for a Memphis player starting it, BYU is so full of themselves, couple times in UH games things came close to fist of cuffs with these guys, they are dirty players, and like to talk a lot of trash.

I believe its pent up caffeine jealousy.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - TIGERCITY - 12-23-2014 12:03 PM

It was BYU's center, Koroma, (not the BYU team) that started all of this. The last thing was the helmeted head butt. True loose cannon. Also from the article >>>

Koroma was flagged earlier in the game for a personal foul when he continued to block a Memphis defender.

He also was assessed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for taunting after Jordan Leslie’s touchdown catch in the second quarter.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - sfink16 - 12-23-2014 12:06 PM

Regardless of who started it, the best action to end it would have been what BYU QB Stewart thought and did:

Quote:BYU quarterback Christian Stewart said the brawl wasn’t a topic of conversation in the somber BYU locker room after the game, and he didn’t know how it started.

"I just walked off the field," Stewart said. "I don’t really care about that. I’m not interested in fighting - I am too small, anyways. So I just walked right off."

I'm sure many of the players and coaches, from both teams, on the field thought they were being piece makers and had no intention of it escalating into a full blown brawl.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - FUB - 12-23-2014 12:09 PM

Have we not had enough threads about this. Meanwhile Temple just beat number ten Kansas.03-hissyfit

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - PlainTiger - 12-23-2014 12:16 PM

People have to realize, Memphis is a hardscrabble city. Also the city has a major inferiority complex. The personality of the city is that it will never be good at turning the other cheek. I don't like that, but its the current reality.

This was the perfect storm, playing against a team who likes to instigate fights, and having the game be so emotional and close. And the BYU team was between our team and our fans in the field configuration. Just an explosive mix that got out of control. Its sad, and there are no winners.

Our AD said this morning he was going to review the incident to see what punishments should be assessed. I am satisfied with that. I don't care what BYU does with their players. That is their issue and they can deal with it how they like.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - Philosocoog - 12-23-2014 12:17 PM

What's he apologizing to us for?

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - PlainTiger - 12-23-2014 12:18 PM

(12-23-2014 12:17 PM)Philosocoog Wrote:  What's he apologizing to us for?

I read it as, he is apologizing to BYU fans.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - bluebacker - 12-23-2014 12:24 PM

There were too many cameras. The truth came out; a BYU player instigated the fight. It only takes a couple of hot heads to start a scuffle and then everybody has to protect each others back ...... see WWI.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - memphistiger89 - 12-23-2014 12:28 PM

LOL. Nicely done.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - Tiger1983 - 12-23-2014 12:37 PM

It appears a BYU player started the melee, but the Tiger coaching staff will be reviewing the situation and hold Tiger players accountable for their inappropriate behavior when warranted. It is difficult to act with maturity in the heat of the moment, but it is a life skill better learned now rather than later.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - jaredf29 - 12-23-2014 12:38 PM

I heard Aresco is springing for tickets to the Book of Mormon for the Memphis football team.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - TIGERCITY - 12-23-2014 12:40 PM

(12-23-2014 12:24 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  There were too many cameras. The truth came out; a BYU player instigated the fight. It only takes a couple of hot heads to start a scuffle and then everybody has to protect each others back ...... see WWI.

True -- but the little guy running around throwing sucker punches, BYU's #12, should have kept his helmet on.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - 99Tiger - 12-23-2014 12:51 PM

(12-23-2014 12:02 PM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  
(12-23-2014 11:55 AM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  So much for a Memphis player starting it, BYU is so full of themselves, couple times in UH games things came close to fist of cuffs with these guys, they are dirty players, and like to talk a lot of trash.

I believe its pent up caffeine jealousy.

Quality.

Although I've known Mormons to sneak some caffeine on a regular basis.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - shere khan - 12-23-2014 01:20 PM

He should apologize for a cheap shot dirty team that holds on every damn down.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - Psicosis - 12-23-2014 01:25 PM

I understand the tempers flaring and even the scuffling, but Nacua seriously shamed himself with his cheap shots and subsequent knockdown.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - PlainTiger - 12-23-2014 01:27 PM

(12-23-2014 12:28 PM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  

LOL. Nicely done.

Ooooooooohhhh. I get it. Duh

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - Meatwad - 12-23-2014 01:45 PM

we should be thanking BYU for blessing us with this video.

RE: BYU athletic director Holmoe issues apology after video of fight - UCF Section 126 - 12-23-2014 01:56 PM

Wow, what a punch. I was wondering how that dirt bag got bloodied.