CSNbbs
The system is obviously insufficient but… - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: The system is obviously insufficient but… (/thread-718088.html)

The system is obviously insufficient but… - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 12-08-2014 11:15 PM

I think most reasonable people understand that four spots for five major conferences is insufficient and needs to be changed pronto. I am more confident than ever that they will expand to eight teams within the next five years and very possibly earlier than that.

However, in defense of the committee, how could they not give extra weight to conference championship game winners? They each played an extra game versus a good team. They should get more consideration for that achievement than a team that plays one less game.

I know it's always fashionable to bash a mostly nameless/faceless committee but in this instance, I don't understand the controversy at all? I think it would've been criminal to not give extra weight to the winners of the conference championship games. That would've been very unfair to those teams.

RE: The system is obviously insufficient but… - gulfcoastgal - 12-09-2014 10:43 AM

I admit to following more the business of sports than actual sports themselves, but a snippet I heard reminded me of something from another selection committee...the recency effect. The rep (sorry can't remember his name) talked about the way Ohio St. overcame adversity and injuries to finish strong...said it was impressive (IIRC). With a title game, conferences have a greater chance to finish strong when compared to regularly scheduled conference games (crap shoot). It also got me thinking. Are weekly polls even necessary? How would they handle a situation like Cincinnati had years ago when their star player went down in the conference tournament(bball)?

RE: The system is obviously insufficient but… - Tigeer - 12-09-2014 12:34 PM

We will find out soon enough if the committee worked if OSU can stay on the field with Alabama or win for that matter.

RE: The system is obviously insufficient but… - ken d - 12-09-2014 12:39 PM

(12-08-2014 11:15 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I think most reasonable people understand that four spots for five major conferences is insufficient and needs to be changed pronto. I am more confident than ever that they will expand to eight teams within the next five years and very possibly earlier than that.

However, in defense of the committee, how could they not give extra weight to conference championship game winners? They each played an extra game versus a good team. They should get more consideration for that achievement than a team that plays one less game.

I know it's always fashionable to bash a mostly nameless/faceless committee but in this instance, I don't understand the controversy at all? I think it would've been criminal to not give extra weight to the winners of the conference championship games. That would've been very unfair to those teams.

So, are you saying that the Big 12 should have scheduled a CCG in defiance of the NCAA?