CSNbbs
2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den (/thread-717835.html)

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - blewbyu - 01-14-2016 02:34 PM

(01-14-2016 02:16 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(01-14-2016 11:50 AM)odu83alumni Wrote:  It just depends on how fast you play the game. If you move up and down the court then 10 can play. If you piddle around and mess up with the shot clock occasionally 8 can get the job done. I like being able to go 10 deep.

Nobody that is really good ever goes more than 8 deep. Even Kentucky last year when they had 10 McDonald's All Americans trimmed it to 8 late in the season. Playing more than 8 hurts the flow.

Also, Duke plays pretty fast and K never plays more than 7.

I would much prefer being able to go 9 or 10 deep if I had the personnel ..... so would Coach K... it looks as if we will be deep next year if everyone stays healthy and stay out of JJ dog house

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarchblue - 01-14-2016 02:42 PM

I guess you and K are pretty tight, because the only way you could have discerned that is if it came from his mouth. History points to the fact the he never plays more than 7, even when he has 10 McDonald's All Americans on his roster.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Old Dominion - 01-14-2016 02:43 PM

Somewhere between being labeled a pessimist or an optimist there has to be place called realist. My experience has been that seldom if ever do teams turn out to be quite as good as projected. Kids don't pan out, injuries happen, unexpected transfers, eligibility issues, and in some cases even poor coaching all team up to result in teams not being quite as good as expected. Speculating on the teams prospects for next year is fun, as long as people keep in mind there is a whole world of variables that can make a team disappoint. I think R8R is right. Fans tend to overvalue kids talent and undervalue other teams talent.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarch Homselr - 01-14-2016 02:49 PM

(01-14-2016 02:43 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Somewhere between being labeled a pessimist or an optimist there has to be place called realist. My experience has been that seldom if ever do teams turn out to be quite as good as projected. Kids don't pan out, injuries happen, unexpected transfers, eligibility issues, and in some cases even poor coaching all team up to result in teams not being quite as good as expected. Speculating on the teams prospects for next year is fun, as long as people keep in mind there is a whole world of variables that can make a team disappoint. I think R8R is right. Fans tend to overvalue kids talent and undervalue other teams talent.

Agreed...plus chemistry and schedule (like this and last year's juxtaposition of road/home heavy). You never know how even changing one cog in the wheel tinkers with the "mojo" of a team. We all underestimated this year's team and underestimated this year's.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 01-14-2016 03:23 PM

Not sure I understand. Teams often turn out better than projected. 2004/5, 2009/10, and last year ring a bell, whereas 2005/6 was a let down and this year's final judgement is still TBD, though they have underperformed so far.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - T-Mac - 01-14-2016 03:26 PM

Actually, last year we were much better than anyone thought we'd be. Every once in a while a team captures lightning in a bottle and shocks even the most delusional fans.

Who knows, the next Trey Freeman could be sitting on our bench right now. We could end up with a fantastic front court. I think the possibility is there to have anywhere from 16-28 wins. The unpredictability of next year is one of the most interesting aspects.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Razor Ramon Monarch - 01-14-2016 03:27 PM

The odds that every player we are bringing in will pan out exactly as projected is pretty damn slim.

Therefore, a surplus of quality depth is never a bad thing.

Let's see how they all look on the court before we make any real judgements.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Old Dominion - 01-14-2016 03:33 PM

I still haven't seen enough of Jones to know if his coaching style contributes to kids improving over 4 years or stagnating. I'm not enough of a basketball guru to know whether a kid is overhyped or under coached.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU_NYG - 01-14-2016 05:29 PM

(01-14-2016 03:33 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  I still haven't seen enough of Jones to know if his coaching style contributes to kids improving over 4 years or stagnating. I'm not enough of a basketball guru to know whether a kid is overhyped or under coached.

in fairness to jones he hasn't had the chance to do that. Taylor, baker and Bacote are his longest tenured players and he didn't recruit any of them.

by the time Caver and Talley are Sr's will be the first evidence we have of this and they are both freshman right now.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - DaBigBlue - 01-14-2016 05:43 PM

Just look at this past year, when you start looking ahead you need to be careful in assessing depth. We lose Mosley who we were counting on to improve his 3 point shooting and move his avg up from +7pts/gm. Palmore and Douglas move on, both played very well towards the end of the season. Also lost reserve Clark and the incoming Great White Hope.

I for one see a couple guards getting over recruited, this was the same thinking we had last year. Really believe you never have too much depth. It creates competition, which is good. If a guy doesn't want to compete for his spot, you can't expect him to compete in a game.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Old Dominion - 01-14-2016 05:46 PM

Not sure why recruiting a kid should matter. You coach what you have. So far none of these 3 have shown much improvement. Bacote is playing much better this year, but he has already shown this level of ability. I think he's had enough time to develop what he has, but I'll agree, Tally and Caver should be the real demonstration of his ability to develop talent.

Just thought of another reason the rivalries are slow to develop. In the CAA days almost every school had a site on CAA zone. Here only Rice and ODU have boards. That may explain why the conference board is so active. It's difficult to hunt down each schools site and register to post.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - DaBigBlue - 01-17-2016 12:04 AM

Tre Evans first drops 33pts and then goes for 38pts, can't wait to get him on campus. Great read on Evans.

http://m.newsok.com/boys-basketball-player-of-the-week-tre-evans-elevating-his-game-at-edmond-north/article/5471967?custom_click=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - bit_9 - 01-17-2016 08:58 AM

Hope he sticks with us. Or did he sign?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - paintedblue2 - 01-17-2016 09:27 AM

(01-17-2016 08:58 AM)Cr8n Wrote:  Hope he sticks with us. Or did he sign?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

He has already signed.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - DaBigBlue - 01-17-2016 09:58 AM

Godwin is back at Hampton HS, seems Richmond's interest has picked up. Like the kid, we need SGs that can get off the quick shot. Tre and Godwin do communicate, both would be a solid backcourt for us.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Nukesquad - 01-18-2016 09:12 AM

(01-17-2016 09:58 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  Godwin is back at Hampton HS, seems Richmond's interest has picked up. Like the kid, we need SGs that can get off the quick shot. Tre and Godwin do communicate, both would be a solid backcourt for us.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Godwin choosing Richmond.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - jumpshooter - 01-18-2016 09:41 AM

You have a reason, or just a hunch?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Nukesquad - 01-18-2016 10:35 AM

(01-18-2016 09:41 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  You have a reason, or just a hunch?

I thought I heard earlier in the season that he was hoping for Richmond, but they were luke warm on him. Now that I hear they are starting to go after him, I would think it's just a matter of time.

2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Big Blue Crazy - 01-22-2016 03:11 PM

Deleted post

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - DaBigBlue - 01-22-2016 11:28 PM

@ScottWrightOK: I've been watching Tre Evans since he was a freshman. His game has gone through the roof this year. Very impressive #okpreps