CSNbbs
2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den (/thread-717835.html)

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - odu09 - 05-26-2016 10:20 AM

(05-26-2016 10:11 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(05-25-2016 04:34 PM)HeadsetGuy Wrote:  For a game that allows only one ball and 5 players playing at a time...when ODU doesn't have 99 incoming players, it really seems to fan the flames...
I don't get the anger and vinegar...we have a coaching staff that has a plan, whether at your pace or not, to maximize its resources (schollys) in the manner they want. The absurd venom that is spouted about the 14th or 15th man, especially when 100s of transfers are available each year is unwarranted. If ODU had used every scholly and the players never left the bench would 244 pages of commentary be dedicated to that?
Recruiting is different today than even 5 years ago, transfers and high quality JUCO kids are readily available, the old adage that transfers are just someone else's problems in a new uniform is moot.
I've personally heard a multiple NCAA champion coach say on several occasions that the dumbest part of college MBB was the oversized rosters, and I for one fully agree (for both men and women basketball, Title IX and entitlement issues aside).

This thread like most of our recruitment threads bears a ugly resemblance to the JMU conference rumor threads..."blankedly blank coach/admin/school doesn't see things my way so I will sully the world with my venom".

This would be a well reasoned post if we didn't have glaring holes that those two empty scholarships could be used to fill. Last year we lacked depth severely, but yet the staff failed to use all of their scholarships. This year we are one shooter short and 1 deep at PG, and again the staff has two scholarships in its pocket.

When is the deadline to use up the scholarship? August? Honest question.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - 757ODU - 05-26-2016 11:43 AM

(05-26-2016 10:20 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(05-26-2016 09:19 AM)mac Wrote:  I just laugh at some of these comments, but everyone has an opinion.

In their classification:
Green- Virginia Player of the Year
Porter- Virginia Player of the Year
Hayes- Virginia Player of the Year
Fields- Multiple time Virginia Player of the Year

This has never happened at ODU. We once had Hodge and Mullen on the same team as two different classification players of the year but never this many.

BJ Stith, before playing for powerhouse Oak Hill (2nd in nation) was a named all state in basketball three times in addition to being all state in track three times and he was the state champ in the 300m Hurdles and 400m relay. Some athlete !

We are a damn Division I basketball team, Of course the guys we recruit were good in High School.

Using these awards as a way to say we will have a good team is not the right way to go. If we aren't landing players of the year then we need to move to D2.

I hate the panic because I think this team is going to be very good but that post told me nothing.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarch Homselr - 05-26-2016 12:22 PM

I don't get the whining. If the Stith Bros. were using two scholarships wouldn't we have none or only one?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ETSUDB8-79 - 05-26-2016 12:33 PM

(05-26-2016 12:22 PM)Monarch Homselr Wrote:  I don't get the whining. If the Stith Bros. were using two scholarships wouldn't we have none or only one?

And add the walk-on from Norcom and we would have none. So those of you that say you have access to our coaches, do they say we have any big needs recruiting wise to be good this season? (or) are they happy to stand pat unless a really good recruit breaks our way?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Mr.BigBlue - 05-26-2016 01:36 PM

(05-26-2016 12:33 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  
(05-26-2016 12:22 PM)Monarch Homselr Wrote:  I don't get the whining. If the Stith Bros. were using two scholarships wouldn't we have none or only one?

And add the walk-on from Norcom and we would have none. So those of you that say you have access to our coaches, do they say we have any big needs recruiting wise to be good this season? (or) are they happy to stand pat unless a really good recruit breaks our way?

They are ALWAYS recruiting. They are always looking for pieces that could make the team/program better. There is no such thing as standing pat.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 05-26-2016 02:04 PM

We'd have 2 by my count.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Old Monarch - 05-26-2016 04:48 PM

Everyone seems to accept as fact that the Stiths are not on scholarships. Does anyone know this to be a fact?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarch Homselr - 05-26-2016 06:53 PM

If the Stiths are on scholarship wouldn't we only have one or none left? You know my math skills are atrocious!

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Justanodufan - 05-26-2016 07:07 PM

(05-26-2016 06:53 PM)Monarch Homselr Wrote:  If the Stiths are on scholarship wouldn't we only have one or none left? You know my math skills are atrocious!

1)Baker
2)Taylor
3) Stith
4) Stith
5) Talley
6) Caver
7) Carver
8) Porter
9) Kah
10) Green
11) Haynes
12)
13)

Walkons
Vassor
Fields
That kid from Pennsylvania

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 05-27-2016 08:48 AM

(05-26-2016 07:07 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(05-26-2016 06:53 PM)Monarch Homselr Wrote:  If the Stiths are on scholarship wouldn't we only have one or none left? You know my math skills are atrocious!

1)Baker
2)Taylor
3) Stith
4) Stith
5) Talley
6) Caver
7) Carver
8) Porter
9) Kah
10) Green
11) Haynes
12)
13)

Walkons
Vassor
Fields

The Stiths should be on scholarship. It isn't right to ask Bryant to pay that tuition for 2 kids that are likely to be the stars on the team for thenext 2 years on a $150k salary, no matter how much NBA money he has left over. As far as I am concerned, we have 2 to fill. If we can't fill them, give them to Vassor and one of the other 2.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU_NYG - 05-27-2016 08:53 AM

(05-27-2016 08:48 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(05-26-2016 07:07 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

1)Baker
2)Taylor
3) Stith
4) Stith
5) Talley
6) Caver
7) Carver
8) Porter
9) Kah
10) Green
11) Haynes
12)
13)

Walkons
Vassor
Fields

The Stiths should be on scholarship. It isn't right to ask Bryant to pay that tuition for 2 kids that are likely to be the stars on the team for thenext 2 years on a $150k salary, no matter how much NBA money he has left over. As far as I am concerned, we have 2 to fill. If we can't fill them, give them to Vassor and one of the other 2.

its also possible that he set up a college fund for both of them when they were born and since he's a university employee he might get a discount on their tuition and he sees it as a better deal for the school and obviously an advantage for the program....on the other hand, maybe they both are on scholarship. I really have no idea, but if he wants to pay their tuition that's his business.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODUCoach - 05-27-2016 09:57 AM

It's up to the coaches if the Stiths are on scholarship and we'll never know, but he makes too much money to get a tuition discount as a university employee.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - AdoptedMonarch - 05-27-2016 10:06 AM

(05-27-2016 09:57 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  It's up to the coaches if the Stiths are on scholarship and we'll never know, but he makes too much money to get a tuition discount as a university employee.

I agree, it is not something we should expect to know.

As virtually every poster on this forum is aware, there are multiple ways to show support for something you believe in -- both monetary and non-monetary. I am sure that if there was even a flicker of reluctance on the part if either mommy or daddy Stith regarding the (presumably) non-scholarship status if their sons, they would both instantly be on full scholarship. The Stith brothers are the core of our mbb program for the foreseeable future.

If they are not on scholarship (which again I don't know, nor should I know), it is because the Stith family is a true and generous supporter of our program.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU BBALL - 05-27-2016 03:12 PM

(05-27-2016 10:06 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(05-27-2016 09:57 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  It's up to the coaches if the Stiths are on scholarship and we'll never know, but he makes too much money to get a tuition discount as a university employee.

As virtually every poster on this forum is aware, there are multiple ways to show support for something you believe in -- both monetary and non-monetary. I am sure that if there was even a flicker of reluctance on the part if either mommy or daddy Stith regarding the (presumably) non-scholarship status if their sons, they would both instantly be on full scholarship. The Stith brothers are the core of our mbb program for the foreseeable future.

If they are not on scholarship (which again I don't know, nor should I know), it is because the Stith family is a true and generous supporter of our program.

They might also be true and generous supporters of our program regardless of whether or not the boys are on scholarship. I think this discussion is much ado about nothing. If they aren't on scholarship then I agree with what AdoptedMonarch has said (i.e. that the Stith family is fine with it being that way for whatever their reasons). If they are on scholarship then no one would question that either as they are certainly deserving to be.

Any recruiting news?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - blewbyu - 05-27-2016 08:43 PM

(05-27-2016 03:12 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(05-27-2016 10:06 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

They might also be true and generous supporters of our program regardless of whether or not the boys are on scholarship. I think this discussion is much ado about nothing. If they aren't on scholarship then I agree with what AdoptedMonarch has said (i.e. that the Stith family is fine with it being that way for whatever their reasons). If they are on scholarship then no one would question that either as they are certainly deserving to be.

Any recruiting news?

No. What you see is what we have. Not bad at all. Should be an exciting year for ODU basketball.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU AGGIE - 05-31-2016 07:03 PM

Getting a little love for Xavier Green.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2016/05/30/top-5-incoming-freshmen-in-conference-usa-basketball-for-2016-17-season/

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - JJMonarch - 05-31-2016 07:41 PM

(05-31-2016 07:03 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Getting a little love for Xavier Green.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2016/05/30/top-5-incoming-freshmen-in-conference-usa-basketball-for-2016-17-season/

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Fatalisk - 06-06-2016 05:24 PM

Xavier Green Senior Season Highlights

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - odu83alumni - 06-06-2016 06:09 PM

(06-06-2016 05:24 PM)Fatalisk Wrote:  Xavier Green Senior Season Highlights

Xavier seems to bring a lot of style and finesse to the game. Every team needs one of these.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - First time Long time - 06-06-2016 08:36 PM

I'm no scout, but from that video Green looks like the best true freshman recruit in some time.