CSNbbs
2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den (/thread-717835.html)

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - jumpshooter - 05-17-2016 11:02 AM

(05-17-2016 08:04 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  Colbert to Hampton?

https://twitter.com/SuperEricRogers/status/732009174549331969

Maybe he just wasn't as good as the 4-star rating said...

So does he have to sit out another season? If so, that would be the equivalent of 3 seasons of relative competitive inactivity, since he didn't log a lot of minutes at Illinois. That's a lot of rust to scrape off.

Not to say it can't be done, but word on the street is he isn't exactly imbued with a great work ethic.

Oh well, good luck

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - monarx - 05-17-2016 11:11 AM

Hopes to play this season. I think that is likely since he didnt play last year. Seems there is precedent for that.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - djnva - 05-17-2016 11:32 AM

I know he had some personal things pop up, but he probably saw some writing on the wall with regards to PT here. Good luck to him.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODUBB35 - 05-17-2016 11:36 AM

(05-17-2016 11:32 AM)djnva Wrote:  I know he had some personal things pop up, but he probably saw some writing on the wall with regards to PT here. Good luck to him.

Likely. I can't think of any personal issues that he can resolve playing for Hampton that he couldn't resolve playing for ODU, other than PT.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ETSUDB8-79 - 05-17-2016 11:50 AM

Here is the Ed Miler story on his transfer:
http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/basketball/former-odu-forward-colbert-transferring-to-hampton-university/article_fb6fa104-f6c9-5564-81cb-2dae21cb9bc1.html

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - jumpshooter - 05-17-2016 12:16 PM

I hope Hampton's the right place for him.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - odubsu - 05-17-2016 12:30 PM

seems JJ really likes Fields and he is not your typical practice team walk on but I have not seen him play. For any of you who have, what role do you think he could play next year? Could he gives us some a few minutes a night at the point?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarchblue - 05-17-2016 12:33 PM

If JJ likes him so much, why doesn't he have one of the multiple scholarships that are still available? I hope the kid shocks me, but it is hard to have a ton of expectation for a walk on who wasn't offered a scholarship even though it appears highly unlikely that we will use the ones that we have.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Gilesfan - 05-17-2016 12:36 PM

(05-16-2016 03:57 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  Mark Poag was one of the best shooters in NCAA history.. He's not 70 years old either. Petey Sessoms didn't suck either

Brian Henderson was a very good 3 point shooter. Drew Williamson was solid. John Waller was a good shooter. That is just in the last decade or so.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarchblue - 05-17-2016 12:42 PM

(05-17-2016 12:36 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(05-16-2016 03:57 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  Mark Poag was one of the best shooters in NCAA history.. He's not 70 years old either. Petey Sessoms didn't suck either

Brian Henderson was a very good 3 point shooter. Drew Williamson was solid. John Waller was a good shooter. That is just in the last decade or so.

A. You all are still going back a long way.
B. Brian Henderson was not that good of a shooter (36% his senior year). He was good by ODU standards by not great in general...and John Waller? Really? The fact that you are coming at me with John Waller and Brian Henderson exemplifies my point.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Gilesfan - 05-17-2016 12:47 PM

(05-16-2016 12:42 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  
(05-16-2016 12:38 PM)mac Wrote:  Travis Fields may be a one year walk-on (then 3 years on scholly) but he is no walk on talent wise. I bet he sees a fair amount of playing time next season based on all I have read about him. Multiple Virginia player of the year winner. No offense, but he is no Martin Shaw. Fields being a walk on for one year gives us an opening for this coming year should we find the right fit. I like the sound of our new coach. And especially when he mentions international connections.

We seem to be quite well situated for next season.

Could be. We still have 4 scholarships to fill now if I'm not mistaken. Maybe Fields gets one of those.

Last season, we played will two open scholarships and 3 walk-ons. As a result, depth killed us. I don't know at this point, if we any deeper overall, though we will be bigger.

Any potential good news out there? We need to fill these scholarships with good players.

Im not sure we have 4 open schollys. If so, I'm sure Fields would have been given one.

Baker
Taylor
Haynes
Kah
Stith
Stith
Talley
Porter
Caver
Green
Carver

The limit is 13, correct? We just had 2 leave so there could still be possibilities for at least one of those spots.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 05-17-2016 12:47 PM

Kiah Thomas was a pretty good shooter. Isaiah Hunter was a good shooter, though a bit streaky. Some of the bigs Blaine era - Loughton, Dahi, Valdas, Lee - were good 3pt shooters.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU_NYG - 05-17-2016 12:57 PM

(05-17-2016 12:47 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(05-16-2016 12:38 PM)mac Wrote:  Travis Fields may be a one year walk-on (then 3 years on scholly) but he is no walk on talent wise. I bet he sees a fair amount of playing time next season based on all I have read about him. Multiple Virginia player of the year winner. No offense, but he is no Martin Shaw. Fields being a walk on for one year gives us an opening for this coming year should we find the right fit. I like the sound of our new coach. And especially when he mentions international connections.

Could be. We still have 4 scholarships to fill now if I'm not mistaken. Maybe Fields gets one of those.

Last season, we played will two open scholarships and 3 walk-ons. As a result, depth killed us. I don't know at this point, if we any deeper overall, though we will be bigger.

Any potential good news out there? We need to fill these scholarships with good players.

Im not sure we have 4 open schollys. If so, I'm sure Fields would have been given one.

Baker
Taylor
Haynes
Kah
Stith
Stith
Talley
Porter
Caver
Green
Carver

The limit is 13, correct? We just had 2 leave so there could still be possibilities for at least one of those spots.
I thought the Stith's are not on scholarship. or is that just what I think and is not the case at all?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU_NYG - 05-17-2016 01:03 PM

(05-17-2016 12:30 PM)odubsu Wrote:  seems JJ really likes Fields and he is not your typical practice team walk on but I have not seen him play. For any of you who have, what role do you think he could play next year? Could he gives us some a few minutes a night at the point?

all I know is that he had a great HS career and he's not very tall. the later of which is why he's not on scholarship here or anywhere else (for now). I suppose his role will be defined by how he does in practice, just like everyone else. personally I'm not expecting a whole lot from him his first year, but we'll see how he's able to adjust to playing against D1 players.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ETSUDB8-79 - 05-17-2016 01:13 PM

My favorite all time shooter was Ricky Michaelson who played forward at 6'4" and his last year shot 58.1% from the field and .787 from the free throw line. Also hit 45 points against the number one team in the country. To me he was our own Pistol Pete Maravich. Of course that was around 45 years ago but to be fair to him if they had had the 3 pointer he would have averaged even more while his percentage would stay the same.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Gilesfan - 05-17-2016 01:20 PM

(05-17-2016 12:57 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(05-17-2016 12:47 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

Baker
Taylor
Haynes
Kah
Stith
Stith
Talley
Porter
Caver
Green
Carver

I thought the Stith's are not on scholarship. or is that just what I think and is not the case at all?

I think people assume they are not, but I wouldn't make that assumption without knowing. I do know there are different rules for state schools vs. private. A friend of mine is the child of a head coach at a state school and they had to pay his way. (or get a scholly)

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU_NYG - 05-17-2016 01:41 PM

Papa Stith may have taken care of all his kid's college with his NBA money. Perhaps that is how they are paying for it vs. using a scholarship. they may get a discount since he's a ODU employee. they also could be using both scholarships. I really don't know....I just remember doug McDermott not being on scholarship b/c his dad was the coach. at least that was the case his Sr. year. didn't know if the Stith's/ODU had the same opportunity he did or something similar.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarchblue - 05-17-2016 02:15 PM

(05-17-2016 01:03 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(05-17-2016 12:30 PM)odubsu Wrote:  seems JJ really likes Fields and he is not your typical practice team walk on but I have not seen him play. For any of you who have, what role do you think he could play next year? Could he gives us some a few minutes a night at the point?

all I know is that he had a great HS career and he's not very tall. the later of which is why he's not on scholarship here or anywhere else (for now). I suppose his role will be defined by how he does in practice, just like everyone else. personally I'm not expecting a whole lot from him his first year, but we'll see how he's able to adjust to playing against D1 players.

There are plenty of guys who aren't very tall that end up getting a D1 scholarship. I think a lot of people are reaching on this one. I imagine if he is a solid role player by his junior year JJ will be happy. But to imagine him coming in and being a contributor as a freshman seems unrealistic to me. Guys that can contribute at PG as a freshman don't go unrecruited.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - paintedblue2 - 05-17-2016 02:42 PM

(05-17-2016 02:15 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(05-17-2016 01:03 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  

There are plenty of guys who aren't very tall that end up getting a D1 scholarship. I think a lot of people are reaching on this one. I imagine if he is a solid role player by his junior year JJ will be happy. But to imagine him coming in and being a contributor as a freshman seems unrealistic to me. Guys that can contribute at PG as a freshman don't go unrecruited.

They may not go unrecruited, but some go under-recruited. I remember this kid named Trey Freeman. He contributed as a freshman. There have been others.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Old Dominion - 05-17-2016 04:33 PM

(05-17-2016 01:13 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  

My favorite all time shooter was Ricky Michaelson who played forward at 6'4" and his last year shot 58.1% from the field and .787 from the free throw line. Also hit 45 points against the number one team in the country. To me he was our own Pistol Pete Maravich. Of course that was around 45 years ago but to be fair to him if they had had the 3 pointer he would have averaged even more while his percentage would stay the same.

You have a very selective memory. Not one of these kids came anywhere near being consistent. If getting hot for a half and disappearing for the next two games makes you a "good shooter", then yes, they were all good.