CSNbbs
2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den (/thread-717835.html)

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarchblue - 05-16-2016 05:15 PM

I seriously doubt that Green, Haynes (juco), Kah (juco), and a walk on makes up the best recruiting class in many years. It may be solid, but it lacks two key pieces that the staff has been unable to secure, a shooter that can stretch the defense (even if Stith is +40% you need more than one guy that can make an open 3 if you plan on making a run in the tournament) and a point guard. As it stands, a walk on freshman or a 6'7 freshman is the backup behind an unproven sophomore at point guard. There are some nice pieces coming in, but as has been the case every year there are pieces that are still needed and open scholarships to fill, but the staff hasn't been able to close the deal on those pieces to fill out the class. As it stands we have 3 open scholarships for the second consecutive year, and that is not acceptable when you have glaring needs.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - monarx - 05-16-2016 05:57 PM

(05-16-2016 05:15 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I seriously doubt that Green, Haynes (juco), Kah (juco), and a walk on makes up the best recruiting class in many years. It may be solid, but it lacks two key pieces that the staff has been unable to secure, a shooter that can stretch the defense (even if Stith is +40% you need more than one guy that can make an open 3 if you plan on making a run in the tournament) and a point guard. As it stands, a walk on freshman or a 6'7 freshman is the backup behind an unproven sophomore at point guard. There are some nice pieces coming in, but as has been the case every year there are pieces that are still needed and open scholarships to fill, but the staff hasn't been able to close the deal on those pieces to fill out the class. As it stands we have 3 open scholarships for the second consecutive year, and that is not acceptable when you have glaring needs.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

So close though. If we could have kept Evans and landed the kid from Coppin it would have been the best class since Dahi.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Fatalisk - 05-16-2016 08:23 PM

(05-16-2016 01:09 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  
(05-16-2016 12:58 PM)Fatalisk Wrote:  
(05-16-2016 12:24 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  During the late signing period, we lost two players and got two walk-ons.

Who else did we lose?

We lost Tre Evans and Austin Colbert

Oh yea! For some reason I thought he meant we lost two recruits.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - odubsu - 05-17-2016 02:08 AM

(05-16-2016 04:10 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I know Poag and Sessoms and AC Carver and Steve Traxx were good shooters, and Hunter was streaky but pretty good. 47 years was not meant to be an accurate number, just a bit of hyperbole folks. Sheesh

AC and Trax are two of my favorites as I was at ODU around that time. Boy, AC loved that corner jumper.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODUBB35 - 05-17-2016 08:04 AM

Colbert to Hampton?

https://twitter.com/SuperEricRogers/status/732009174549331969

Maybe he just wasn't as good as the 4-star rating said...

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 05-17-2016 08:32 AM

The bad news is we yet again are leaving a bunch of scholarships on the table. The good news is we have a couple players at each size and skillset so as long as we can stay healthy, we shouldn't have to actually play any of the walk-ons next year.

1. Caver/Green
2. Stith/Haynes
3. Talley/Baker
4/5. Stith/Taylor/Porter/Kah

Would be nice to land another one or two for insurance, but we are 2-deep on scholarship at every position. Our success will depend on how our PGs develop, the continued improvement of Talley, and the production of the new bigs we are bringing in.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarchist13 - 05-17-2016 08:36 AM

Where does Carver fit in to the lineup?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU True Blue - 05-17-2016 08:37 AM

You realize that as far as we know 2 players you list, i.e., the Stith boys, are walkons?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 05-17-2016 08:41 AM

(05-17-2016 08:36 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Where does Carver fit in to the lineup?

I forgot about him. He's a SF, right?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 05-17-2016 08:46 AM

(05-17-2016 08:37 AM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  You realize that as far as we know 2 players you list, i.e., the Stith boys, are walkons?

I do, but it is really kind of irrelavant to the point I am making. They are D1 scholarship athletes that would be getting free rides at ECU and UVA if their dad wasn't here. I usually am accused of being negative, but I am more optimistic about the upcoming season than most it seems. I think we could be very good if the intangables fall into place (leadership, chemistry, health, discipline, etc.).

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - jumpshooter - 05-17-2016 08:55 AM

4 a change, Ever, I'm with you

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 05-17-2016 09:05 AM

(05-17-2016 08:55 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  4 a change, Ever, I'm with you

I just call it like I see it. No axe to grind, no inside info, and I am fully admit I am often wrong. As long as we have the 2 Stiths anchoring the frontcourt and the backcourt, I think we could make a run in either or both of the next 2 years, even if the rest of the team is full of role players. You know they will work hard on and off the court, study the game itself, and stay out of trouble. Would be nice to have Trey back for another season, but we do have an opportunity to employ a more balanced attack.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODUBB35 - 05-17-2016 09:17 AM

I'm optimistic as well, and I think Talley will be our best player this year.

But I am concerned about the PG position and our lack of outside shooting. Hope that Green, Haynes, and Stith can light it up (or Fields).

We have a chance to be as good as we were at the end of last year, but we may have the same shortcomings.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Blue_Trombone - 05-17-2016 09:29 AM

I'm interested to see what Baker does in the offseason. I imagine a lot of it is going to be shooting from the corner 3 though.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU_NYG - 05-17-2016 09:35 AM

it would be nice to have a compliment to caver, but I think a lot of you are underestimating him. he's not going to replace TF's scoring. no one is. he's also not going to be a shoot first PG like trey was either...I would love it if Talley puts in a lot of work this summer and improves to become our best player, but I'm banking on Stith being our best player (the big one).

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 05-17-2016 09:38 AM

(05-17-2016 09:17 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  I'm optimistic as well, and I think Talley will be our best player this year.

But I am concerned about the PG position and our lack of outside shooting. Hope that Green, Haynes, and Stith can light it up (or Fields).

We have a chance to be as good as we were at the end of last year, but we may have the same shortcomings.

I wouldn't be too concerned about PG. We made the tournament 2 years in a row with Darius James. It is one of five roles. Keep the TOs to a minimum and having one that scores a lot is not that important.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - T-Mac - 05-17-2016 09:53 AM

Yeah, I think Caver is more than capable of handling the point. If Xavier is as good as the coaches seem to think he is, we should be fine at backup PG, too. The other positions seem to be loaded! Between Stith ©, Kah/Taylor, Talley, and Stith (SG) we should be markedly improved at every position except maybe a wash at SG.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODUBB35 - 05-17-2016 10:42 AM

I'm not overly concerned about PG in general, but there are a lot of teams in CUSA with really good, young PGs. I hope that Caver can reach that level.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 05-17-2016 10:58 AM

(05-17-2016 09:53 AM)T-Mac Wrote:  Yeah, I think Caver is more than capable of handling the point. If Xavier is as good as the coaches seem to think he is, we should be fine at backup PG, too. The other positions seem to be loaded! Between Stith ©, Kah/Taylor, Talley, and Stith (SG) we should be markedly improved at every position except maybe a wash at SG.

We are taking a big step back at PG no matter what. I think we'll be fine and Caver will certainly be up to the task of managing the game, but let's not pretend he is going to replace Trey's production. I love Bacote, but I am hoping (and assuming) Stith will be more consistent there. The forwards will certainly be an upgrade, assuming Talley and Stith keep getting better, and I expect Kah and Porter to be an improvement over Bib. We still have Taylor for another year as well.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - bit_9 - 05-17-2016 11:00 AM

If the scoring shifts from Trey/Bacote to the 3 forwards and the PG roles becomes more of a facilitator we'll be fine.