CSNbbs
Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach (/thread-715951.html)

Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - zrb2 - 11-30-2014 09:19 PM

He brings a monster 106-6 coaching record to UB. Here we go...

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/11/28/buffalo-bulls-hire-lance-leipold-head-coach

Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - axeme - 11-30-2014 09:22 PM

Interesting hire. It will be fascinating to see if he can translate extraordinary D-III success to the FBS level.

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - emu steve - 11-30-2014 09:40 PM

Lot of similarities to CC at EMU.

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - Love and Honor - 11-30-2014 09:42 PM

It's like UB saw Miami hire Martin (who went 74-7 in DII) and said "let's do that times five." I like it. It's also a very early hire so he should be able to get his feet wet in Buffalo more quickly than the average new hire.

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - Nick in Cleveland - 11-30-2014 09:55 PM

Outstanding hire!

Mark it down

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - GoBullsGo - 11-30-2014 10:33 PM

Very big risk hire. Not the direction I was expecting we'd go, but his success at that level is undeniable. We better have a good recruiter on staff.

I didn't like the Bobby Hurley hire when I first heard about it, so I'll give Danny White the benefit of the doubt this time.

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - DrTorch - 12-01-2014 07:05 AM

I would have been gung ho on this hire, until someone explained to me that UWWW was a 12K population school competing against schools w/ 2K...and stricter academics.

It's a calculated risk that could pay off for Buffalo. But it is certainly no guarantee.

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - darkhelmet - 12-01-2014 09:55 AM

(11-30-2014 10:33 PM)GoBullsGo Wrote:  Very big risk hire. Not the direction I was expecting we'd go, but his success at that level is undeniable. We better have a good recruiter on staff.

I didn't like the Bobby Hurley hire when I first heard about it, so I'll give Danny White the benefit of the doubt this time.

My feelings exactly with everything you said! Hope this works out and that his success will translate to UB as well.

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - perimeterpost - 12-02-2014 04:00 PM

do we really want a coach that has lost 6 times to D3 competition?

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - uakronkid - 12-02-2014 04:19 PM

(12-02-2014 04:00 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  do we really want a coach that has lost 6 times to D3 competition?

Do we really want a coach who's first move is to hire Rob Ianello?

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - Kimbosucks - 12-02-2014 08:33 PM

(11-30-2014 09:42 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  It's like UB saw Miami hire Martin (who went 74-7 in DII) and said "let's do that times five." I like it. It's also a very early hire so he should be able to get his feet wet in Buffalo more quickly than the average new hire.

He will stay with WW until their season ends... So not as soon as you would think.

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - pono - 12-03-2014 03:33 AM

(12-01-2014 07:05 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  I would have been gung ho on this hire, until someone explained to me that UWWW was a 12K population school competing against schools w/ 2K...and stricter academics.

It's a calculated risk that could pay off for Buffalo. But it is certainly no guarantee.

torch could you please make a bigger avatar with more hubris. i want to know how you really feel.

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - DrTorch - 12-03-2014 09:55 AM

(12-03-2014 03:33 AM)pono Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 07:05 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  I would have been gung ho on this hire, until someone explained to me that UWWW was a 12K population school competing against schools w/ 2K...and stricter academics.

torch could you please make a bigger avatar with more hubris. i want to know how you really feel.

I'll work on it.

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - perimeterpost - 12-03-2014 03:10 PM

(12-03-2014 03:33 AM)pono Wrote:  

go into your profile and click "edit options", from there on the right you'll see "thread view options" with several boxes checked, uncheck the box that says "display users signatures in their posts" and click "update options" at the bottom. It makes reading through the posts much easier.

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - Slinkin Street Flash - 12-03-2014 03:22 PM

We'll see how Leipold does at Buffalo - When Jim Corrigall was out at Kent State after 1997, how successful could Kent State have been if they would have hired Larry Kehres instead of Dean Pees? His record at that point was 124-16-2. He was 28 games into a 54-game winning streak. Over the next 10 years at Mount Union, he'd go 136-5 with a 55-game winning streak.

I don't expect Leipold to burn up D1 like he's done D3. He'll probably pull up the Bulls a notch or two, but the Athletic programs at Wisconsin-Whitewater relative to D3 and Buffalo relative to D1 are at much different levels

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - DrTorch - 12-03-2014 03:43 PM

(12-03-2014 03:22 PM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  I don't expect Leipold to burn up D1 like he's done D3. He'll probably pull up the Bulls a notch or two, but the Athletic programs at Wisconsin-Whitewater relative to D3 and Buffalo relative to D1 are at much different levels

It's not obvious that the move will work, even though I had long hoped Kehres would move to the MAC.

One reason is this, coaches at lower Div schools suddenly have access to better players than they usually get, and they get stars in their eyes. So they find it's fairly easy to get players who are 1-3 notches better than they're used to and they find recruiting is "easy".

But then it turns out in order to be a highly competitive team, they need players who are 5 notches above what they're used to, and it's harder for everyone to get those scarce players. And they flounder w/ their early recruits, and it's hard to gain traction.

RE: Buffalo hiring UW-Whitewater Lance Leipold as new head coach - Slinkin Street Flash - 12-04-2014 01:59 PM

(12-02-2014 08:33 PM)Kimbosucks Wrote:  
(11-30-2014 09:42 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  It's like UB saw Miami hire Martin (who went 74-7 in DII) and said "let's do that times five." I like it. It's also a very early hire so he should be able to get his feet wet in Buffalo more quickly than the average new hire.

He will stay with WW until their season ends... So not as soon as you would think.

The Stagg party is December 19th, so that's the longest Leipold will be tied up. I'm guessing they're upset this weekend.